cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane help

Huskyjazz
Explorer
Explorer
I could use some help. I recently bought a 93 Layton travel trailer. I have never owned one before. I think I have the basics of how everything works, but I think something is wrong with the propane system. I can get the stove to light and I can get the pilot light to work on the oven. I can not get the oven to actually light up. Nor can I get the water heater pilot light to light. The fridge on propane mode will eventually light up the check light. Anybody have any thoughts.
12 REPLIES 12

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Not a good idea at all. You really do need to find the root cause. If you can’t fix it, maybe a mobile tech should step in.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huskyjazz wrote:
So as for the water heater, I called the original owner and he said he would wedge his knife in the push button to let the gas flow. He would do some other things and then come back to it. Basically the gas takes for ever to get back there. Sure enough it works. Probably something wrong with the oven, because he said he never used it.

By wedging something in the button you are bypassing a safety feature. I'm not sure doing that is a good idea.

Although it will take forever for the gas to get back there the first time it should't take that long each time after that unless you have a leak in the system somewhere that is allowing the gas to escape.

Huskyjazz
Explorer
Explorer
So as for the water heater, I called the original owner and he said he would wedge his knife in the push button to let the gas flow. He would do some other things and then come back to it. Basically the gas takes for ever to get back there. Sure enough it works. Probably something wrong with the oven, because he said he never used it.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
The pigtail connecting the propane tanks to the regulator could be bad. On my 2010 Jayco I had to replace then about the 2nd year. there's a high flow valve in them that can get stuck and make it appear you are out of propane or create a low flow situation. They are designed to shut off the gas flow in the event of some catastrophic failure.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
It's not rocket science, a repair tech is not going to do anything you can't do. Follow the system, clean and rebuild/replace as you go, there's not that many parts in the system.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Have you traced all the piping? May be some damage or, doubtful, there is a shut off somewhere.
The oven may just be dirty or the control knob is defective.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
you might have some debris in piping perhaps it can be blown out after disconnecting both ends?

Huskyjazz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. I replaced the regulator and one of the tanks and nothing has changed. No sign of gas anywhere except the stove top and oven pilot light. Might have to take it in. I’m just more of a DIY guy.

Huskyjazz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there is propane in it. The stove works and the pilot light lights on the oven. Just can't seem to get gas anywhere else. I will look into replacing the regulator. I don't like the way it hooks up. It doesn't screw in on the outside like a regular propane hook up is. I know that is just the hose connection, but I will probably replace it all. Thanks.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
If that was my travel trailer, I would call a RV Mobile Service and have them check the LP system. If you are in a park, ask for a recommendation. Are you sure the tank has LP in it? LP qualified tech the only way to go for your safety.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just from the ages of your appliances, all of them should be disassembled and cleaned. I was able to get my '71 water heater firing quite easily so that would be a good start.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is the line pressure is too low caused by a faulty regulator. It has to be checked by a qualified technician. FWIW, an used RV should have the propane system checked and cerified by a licensed tech.
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller