cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to wax

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out this weekend then putting the rig away for winter. I am going to cover it, but just wanted opinions: is it better to wax it before I put it away, or wait until I get it back out in spring?
17 REPLIES 17

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Jay Coe. Waxing once a year is great. It's not like you have a small teardrop camper...it's takes hours to wax a huge travel trailer beast; why would you want to put that on yourself twice a year if you don't have to.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jfkmk wrote:
Third vote for both!

Where does all the way go over the winter??
I have a couple vehicles/toys that I store over winter, or summer, under cover.
Still waxed when I get them out the next season.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Over waxing is a total waste. Why on earth would you wax when you put it away and again when you take it out? Do none of you know how to wax a car?

As I said, "...outdoor, uncovered storage"

So? They're designed for that!

Designed for what?

To be waxed once a year, once every 3 years, never? Just what do you believe to be the waxing interval that they are designed for?

Designed to be outdoors, uncovered. Sitting outside in the off season with a fresh coat of wax isn't going to remove the wax and need to be reapplied in the spring. It's going down the road getting dirt, grime, dead bugs, etc. and then washing that sh*t off that will (slowly) remove the wax. Wax buildup is a bad thing, not a good thing. Check out some of the pro detailing forums like Meguiars. Overwaxing is a waste of time, money and will NOT make any vehicle "look better".
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jay Coe wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:
Over waxing is a total waste. Why on earth would you wax when you put it away and again when you take it out? Do none of you know how to wax a car?

Designed for what?

To be waxed once a year, once every 3 years, never? Just what do you believe to be the waxing interval that they are designed for?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:

A lot of people wax their cars on a monthly basis. I have friends who do it weekly when they have time. I think that is too much, but it seems to make them happy.

If you are only going to wax once, and are mostly concerned with protection of the finish, I would say wax in fall just before covering.

Waxing again in the spring will really make the camper look good.

I would recommend NOT using a powerful "cleaner wax" if you are going to wax multiple times throughout the year - a simple silicon-type wax is much faster and easier, and won't wear down any graphic / paint / clear coat.

But do what you want, and have time for. You don't HAVE to wax at all if you don't want to.

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jay Coe wrote:

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Or, you could forget about waxing it and go for the Cousin Eddy look? ๐Ÿ™‚

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a 24-foot bumper pull, I had the time and energy to wax it once in the Spring and once in the Fall before it went into outdoor, uncovered storage. I now have the time, but not the energy to wax our 36-foot 5th-wheel. Just too much real estate to tackle.

I have it professionally washed and waxed each Spring and I wax the front cap myself in the Fall. I do just the front cap because it faces directly South, the back faces North, and the sides are partially shaded by neighboring trailers.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time and energy, do it before. Then, do it again in the Spring.

I do it whenever i have spare time, and the energy / motivation to do it.
Bob

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Third vote for both!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m always waxing one side or the front or back in rotation.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Another vote for BOTH . . If your physically able to do so, it will be well worth it in the long run..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet