cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who has a Defibrillator?

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
My cardiologist is thinking I may need one. How has it affected your life and travel? I will probably be traveling alone. Would that make a difference?
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!
19 REPLIES 19

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Also, with a a pacemaker/ICD you need to be aware of what can cause abnormal heart rhythms. We were in Arizona one winter. DH is restricted on fluid intake, but didn't realize that in that dry climate, it is easy to get dehydrated. That happened and it set his heart rhythms all crazy resulting in shocks. Drinking more water alleviated that problem.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation on this thread.

My DH has a pacemaker/ICD and has had since 2002. He's on his fourth ICD. We have fulltimed since 2005. Such a device does not protect against heart attacks. Anyone with an ICD can still have a heart attack... and die. What it protects against is abnormal heart rhythms like v-tach or a-fib which will result in the heart stopping or sudden cardiac arrest. The pacemaker portion of the device will first try to get your heart back into normal rhythm. This takes about 10 seconds depending on your setup. If it can't do that, you will get shocked. However, getting back into regular rhythm in that 10 seconds can result in your passing out anyway and incapacitation for a brief period. And you can get shocked without passing out and yes it does feel like getting kicked in the chest by a mule according to DH. Totally depends on your heart activity. DH has had it happen both ways. He had a series of incidences this summer after having gotten sick last winter. He is finally back on the right track and doing much better. Is he driving? NO WAY. He has not driven the motorhome since 2009. That was the last time he was shocked. I had always thought I could just pull him out of the driver's seat and carry on. Can't be done. So he voluntarily gave up the wheel. Since we had shared driving the 40' DP, I didn't mind taking over completely. He did still drive the car. I think it would be easier to take that over if he had an incident, but he currently isn't driving that either.

Many doctors tell their ICD patients not to drive. They say they cannot by law take your license away, but they strongly suggest you don't drive.

If you are subject to erratic heart rhythms, cardiac arrest is sudden and results in death immediately. Like they told me, I can do CPR, but it takes a shock to start the heart. So DH's ICD is a lifesaver. Contrary to what has been said, he does not need to rush to the ER or even his doctor if anything happens. We used to do that. Doc said. . . no need. If it makes you feel better, then go. But our experience with local ER's and his ICD leave a lot to be desired. He has a "Carelink," a device that he uses to send a "strip" to his doctor via the internet. If the doctor sees something glaring on that, he may ask him to come in, but most times his response has been, "Your device administered a therapy as it was designed to do. It is doing what it's supposed to do."

Life is so much better for my husband with his ICD. It is better living through technology. He sees his doctor twice a year and we travel 100% of the time. Obviously he has limitations in relation to what he used to do. Most people who meet him have no idea he lives with a bad heart. He's been living well for 20 years since he had 3 heart attacks in one week. He's doing well and during that time has had knee surgery and a double hernia repair as well as cancer treatment at MD Anderson.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
My FIL had one for close to 20 yrs, with several heart issues but he did what he wanted, and my IL camped probably 6 mo out of the year.
My DW had one implanted this year and were camping within aa week, she just couldn't lift or drive for a little while.
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday at the VA, I had four tests and five appointments and it turned out to be one long day. Preliminary results looked good to the point that I was given authorization to drive again. Today, I received the news that all but one test was reported with good results. I should get the other results NLT Monday.

From what she has determined is that the light headedness that I experienced had triggered the defibrillator jolt. It was caused by hypoglycemia which I have a couple of times a year. By the first examination it was determined that the defibrillator emergency response level was actually set lower than that of the pacemaker side. It has now been reset to allow the pacemaker to kick in each time before the other reacts. She mentioned that an altered diet will keep my protein level better controlled which would likely control the light headed events.
Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
God Bless you both. I don't know how the rest of my life will turn out. Last night, my wife took a turn for the worse. Her Hospice nurse was with her for several hours. You never know what hand you are going to be dealt as life unfolds but as you get to the bottom of the deck the good cards become more scarce. I wish you all wellness.

mailman-ret
Explorer
Explorer
I have had three heart attacks. I had my first of three MI's, the first in 1989, the next 1990, then one in 2008. In early March of 2015, I had the occasion to experience the working end of a Defibrillator as my heart rate had reached 163 beats per minute. In the back of an ambulance en route to the hospital they pulled over and I was hit with 50 Jewels, then a few seconds later 100 Jewels. Soon after they announced I had returned to Sinus Rhythm and I could relax. By the end of the week I had a Pacemaker/Defibrillator installed, and several new meds to adjust to. All is now good.

Jump ahead to 12 September 2018. DW wife and I were camping and preparing to leave northern Illinois for northern Missouri. I started feeling light headed, paused shortly to get my bearings. Next thing I knew DW grabbed me and pushed me against the rear of the truck just as my internal Defibrillator zapped me, She said it felt as every muscle in me tensed for an unknown amount of time. We went into the TT to decide what to do. In no time I was feeling much better, but had her to take me to the ER. They ran their tests and released me to return to Missouri. I drove the 160 miles to next CG. I contacted my cardiologist and they told me to be at the VA by 0800 next day. They hooked me to the Medtronic monitor, then ran numerous reports, then fine tuned my implant. 1st of the month I have five appointments at the VA to see what happens from there. Right now, I can not drive till March. They said this could change depending on the results of their tests. I turn 71 right after the first of the year, and pray that we can continue our camping life style for years.
Don & Deb: US Army CW2(R), DECA AstMgr(R) USPS Letr Carrier(R)
2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercrewcab 6.2Ltr V8 4X4
2017 Dutchman DENALI 289RK
Ford in dash MTD Prodigy Type Brake Control
Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway Device

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a pacemaker/ICD implanted since 2007 and am now on my second battery. Fortunately, it's never triggered for full defib and only triggered a few times for pacing AFIB.

We went with the AICD option because my wife is a quadriplegic (polio) and could never perform CPR if I arrested again. YMMV.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the info everyone. FYI I am 65 and have had 2 heart attacks, one 8 years ago where I ruptured my heart and again 2 months ago during a traumatic event. I had a visit with my very trusted cardiologist yesterday and we decided not to implant a defibrillator device at this time. He will be monitoring my heart monthly going forward and the decision could change if events warrant.

My wife is currently in home hospice and I am trying to figure out what to do for the remainder of my life after she passes. I have always wanted to full time where she has not. My heart condition has me reconsidering if I could full time. As of now, my cardiologist isn't telling me I can't as long as I stay healthy. I'm glad that I don't have to get a defibrillator at this time as the recovery would affect my ability to care for my wife. I do see how it could save my life at some point. There were other considerations from my cardiologist that led to the decision not to implant at this time. Take care of your heart people. It can really screw up your plans for your future.

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
I have had an AICD for almost 23 years(am on my 4th one.) I have traveled many thousand miles with it. Don't have any idea what your condition is, but I can tell you from experience that if you have a Vfb episode and your AICD fires and you are driving you will probably loose control of the vehicle. On the other side of the coin, if you have a vfib episode without an AICD you will probably be unconscious in a few seconds, and if driving, will likely have a wreck and die either from the heart attack or the wreck. In case it is Vtach the AICD is treating, then, you could possibly have time to stop the vehicle safely. Don't mean to scare you, but you really need to discuss this issue with your cardiologist to understand why you need one, the conditions he is expecting and the likelihood of the AICD firing. When I first got mine, I couldn't drive for over a year due to my heart condition after getting the AICD. Also, just for your information, in some states it is against the law to drive with an AICD-at least that was my understanding when I got mine. If you would like more info or even talk, PM me.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
FIL had one for years before he died from kidney failure. Only restriction he had was to call 911 when it zapped him. You definitely know when it fires. Only happened to him twice in something like 15 years.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
I've had several friends Who have defibulators in them and evrytime they go off the doctors have told them it will feel like a mule has kicked you in the chest and When it does go off you need to be seen asap!! One friend who lived alone had his go off in the middle of the night and he fortunately woke up a couple of hours later and I was able to get him help. Another friends mom had hers go off multiple times and every time they called for help until the day came and she passed. You can live a normal life but if it detects a issue with your heart they will fire automatically. Also you have to watch metal detectors and MRI'S which I'm sure the Dr. Has told you. Best of luck and prayers for you
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I know several people who have them and sometimes I feel the adjustment of the device is trial and error. many of them have to be taken to the hospital in the middle of the night to get adjusted.

I've never heard of this. Yes there is an initial adjustment period. But it should not be an ongoing problem.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
Sorry I didn't make it clearer. I'm asking about folks with an implanted defibrillator, not an AED. Sorry for the confusion.

My brother-in-law lived for many years and through multiple major surgeries (cancer) and never had any issue with the implanted defibrillator/pacemaker. Likely it's what got him through some of those surgeries.

When he was terminal, someone from the manufacturer came and turned off the defibrillator function (with sort of a remote control, somehow) so it wouldn't keep shocking him when his heart was otherwise stopping.

So yes they work and they are very reliable. You are much better off with one, than without one, if you have a condition serious enough to need it. The defibrillator is not the problem---your condition is.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I know several people who have them and sometimes I feel the adjustment of the device is trial and error. many of them have to be taken to the hospital in the middle of the night to get adjusted.