cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can falling acorns pierce my rubber roof?

gtdkad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

The DW and I are camped under tree that is shedding all its acorns.

I'm wondering if they can pierce the rubber roof, however small a puncture, and let rain in?

These are big acorns about 3/4" diameter, heavy with a sharp pointed end. So one of these is like a small needle with a fishing sinker attached.

Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did talk to a person at a campground once that said an acorn cracked the skylight on his shower. But, I have never heard or problems with the roof.

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I believe this happened to me. It was the worst year for acorns I'd ever seen and we happened to be camped under a lot of big oaks. There were a couple days you literally didn't want to go outside for fear of getting rained on with acorns, they were that thick. Shortly after we discovered a puncture in the roof membrane.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Semi-related... we LOVE the sound of rain hitting our camper roof. We call it "popcorn", as that is similar to the sound. Our campers roof does not have any kind of space in it, so we hear everything that hits it.

And, or course, enjoying a rainstorm while "high and dry" is kind of nice...

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
I doubt it.

Acorns, pinecones etc will not ruin you rubber roof
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Didn't Scrat on Ice Age crack an entire glacier when his acorn fell on it?? ha, ha! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We lived one fall and winter under two oaks and a hickory tree while the house was built. The golf ball size hickory nuts would make quite a bang but no damage. I was glad when the squirrels and mother nature finally got them all.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no damage but can be loud. Couple months ago we had a couple of pine cones hit the roof about midnight and I swear it sounded like Bigfoot was throwing rocks.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
All of my stuff - including my aluminum-roofed Allegro - are parked under really big oak trees. This time of year the sounds of acorns dropping from 75-100 feet is almost constant. I haven't noticed any damage to the RV or cars, trucks or shed but it is a disconcerting sound. This year is particularly bad - I'm thinking because it was a really wet Summer and Fall.

I can say with 100% certainty that a direct hit from one on your head hurts a bit. But if it doesn't penetrate my skull it's not going to go through a roof.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Coconuts maybe....acorns probably not.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt it.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Loud, makes sleeping tough. I'd move. Put this on your camping checklist: "What am I parked under?"
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've had those very heavy, dense pine cones fall from really tall trees for a couple days straight without damage.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I had a trailer with an aluminum roof that endured the pounding of acorns for five years and suffered no damage. But like you I was concerned about my new trailer with a rubber roof. We had a bunch of them fall in September so I did a thorough inspection of the roof before covering the trailer the last weekend of September. While they made quite a racket they didn't cause any damage.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Normally no -- stuff falling on an RV roof is kinda like a drum -- wakes everyone up when they first start camping then after a while they sleep through it. With that said - best to check every RV roof on occasion to see if it's intact.
Kevin