cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Long Before You "Upgraded"

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this is a general and fun question. We were at a rally a few weeks back, (we are Noobs BTW - had our 33 ft National since April) and got to chatting about upgrading. We are already looking at possibly getting a larger MH, and a few couples mentioned they had their first MH any where from 6 months to 2 years before they upgraded, and laughed at us in fun because we were already thinking about it. So the question - how many of you bought a MH, got "hooked", and upgraded fairly quickly? I'm just curious based on the previous discussions, but I do find it interesting.

Al
41 REPLIES 41

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Tent camped for decades. At age 42, family of 4 spent the night laying on the ground in wet blankets because the rain came in. On the drive home, momma demanded to sleep out of the weather if we were to continue.

A few weeks after that trip, we bought a new 15' TT. Used the heck out of it in 3 years and sold for little loss. Bought a 25' TT and used the heck out of that for 3 year. Recently bought our first Class A. A 7 year old, 35' triple slide. Thinking we're going to enjoy it for more than 3 years. Maybe never change again??? Wouldn't mind so much.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started with a 10 yr old 36' class A,gasser, 2 slides. Haven't changed yet. We like the floor plan, and the size is good for us. Quality built, so we can keep it longer. We have had it 8 yrs.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Bought our first MH in 2004, brand new completely loaded two slide gasser. Traded her in April 2018 for a brand new, slightly longer two slide DP.

Frankly, I miss the overall quality and floor plan of our old gasser. Love the diesel engine, but the rest not so much.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I almost made a big mistake and purchased an RV I would not have been happy with (a gasser) based upon my budget.
Another RVer convinced me that I needed to drive a DP before making a decision and offered his as a test drive. Wow! How could I buy a gasser now, but how could I afford a DP? Well, we dug deep and found a way and dug up the $$$. I have never regretted making that decision. We kept that coach, an entry level DP, for 3 years and then found ourselves happily, but unexpectedly, full timing and we upgraded to a used Prevost. We have been in that coach since 1999 and we are now looking to upgrade to a newer Prevost in 1999 to 2002 range which we will own until we stop RVing.

Would it be safe to assume that the main reason for you wanting to upgrade, is for a lack of slide rooms now?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Talked every year for the first 6 years about upgrading. Then I realized most of the upgrading was bells and whistles so I added all I wanted. After 14 years still in the same โ€œfirstโ€ coach. I bought right the first time.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
How long before I upgraded.????

Well got married in 1878 (9/1) honeymooned in a TENT
About 5 years later got a PUP
About 1-12 years after that got a 13' Scamp (A very nice upgrade)
2005 (may) got a 38' Class A.. 13 feet wide when set up.. Sitting in it now.

Wow yer older than dirt and probably the oldest living human.
Did they still call them tents way back then?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long before I upgraded.????

Well got married in 1878 (9/1) honeymooned in a TENT
About 5 years later got a PUP
About 1-12 years after that got a 13' Scamp (A very nice upgrade)
2005 (may) got a 38' Class A.. 13 feet wide when set up.. Sitting in it now.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Over 40 years ago, we started out in a tent. Then we found a little 19' bumper pull trailer. Moved to a 5th wheel after that. Then got into boating, so got a small Class C so we could take the boat. When the kids got bigger, we got a longer class C. Then DH got sick and we decided to get a Class B so I could handle stuff easier. Class B was great for driving, but when we stopped for the night it was a pain.

So we sold the B & C and got our first class A, a gasser. Had a job, a house and a motorhome. Came home one day and DH said. . . "How about when you retire we hit the road fulltime?" I couldn't say yes fast enough.

First year out on the road we traded for a new 06 Phaeton diesel pusher. That was 14 years ago. We still are fulltiming in Phaeton Place. We treat her well and she takes care of us.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
OP here. I do get the thought of buying your last MH first, but I don't know if that's truly realistic for everyone. I suspect we will keep what we have for another couple of years until I am at retirement and we start going out for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Al

Perhaps not realistic but, if you are at the point in your RVing life where you are considering the "last RV", this is a good thought to keep in mind. We've heard the comment, "Always get more RV than you think you need or you'll regret it" or some such.

Our early family years meant 20 years camping in a tent out of the trunk of our car. A couple of pop-ups along the way and then along came a well worn Class A gasser that was cheap and allowed us to find out how we enjoyed doing the RV thing without investing much. A Class C came next for 10 years that was small and made it easy to get into most National Parks we visited.

Now life has allowed us to enter our retirement years and our needs/wants have changed. We do not full-time but, will be in our DP coach over 6 months each year.

So, keep the thought in mind when looking at your next RV as it's been a well proven situation with RVers and their desire to "upgrade" but it's highly dependant upon where you are in your RVing life.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Looks like answers are all over the map, because as FIRE UP said, everyone is different. I do get the thought of buying your last MH first, but I don't know if that's truly realistic for everyone. Like your first house, you think you know what you want until you actually live in it. After time then you really know what you want and need. We did a ton of research before we bought, and what we bought ticked all of our boxes, until we started going out in it. We now know we want a larger kitchen, larger fridge, larger water closet, and a king bed, especially if we will be going out for a few months at a time as is the plan. I was just curious how many others ended up in the same situation as us, and how quick they made the change. I suspect we will keep what we have for another couple of years until I am at retirement and we start going out for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Al

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I almost made a big mistake and purchased an RV I would not have been happy with (a gasser) based upon my budget.
Another RVer convinced me that I needed to drive a DP before making a decision and offered his as a test drive. Wow! How could I buy a gasser now, but how could I afford a DP? Well, we dug deep and found a way and dug up the $$$. I have never regretted making that decision. We kept that coach, an entry level DP, for 3 years and then found ourselves happily, but unexpectedly, full timing and we upgraded to a used Prevost. We have been in that coach since 1999 and we are now looking to upgrade to a newer Prevost in 1999 to 2002 range which we will own until we stop RVing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
Tent 1 year
Truck camper 2 years
Pop up 14 years
TT 9 years
1st DP 8 years
2nd and current DP 7 years
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
bought a new 34 foot class a gasser while we were still working and kept it for 7 years. Learned a ton about rving with that coach. Upsized to our current coach, also purchased new, to go full time in back in 2007. Have no intentions of changing anytime soon.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Two year to get from gasser to diesel pusher

This. Bought the gasser instead of renting to try out the life. Did weekend trips and vacations for a couple of years. Sold the gasser for more than we paid for it and bought a DP.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox