cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 flute sound from throttle body area

chateauboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody, Been a while since I posted. I have a 2003 Winnebago Minnie V10 60,000 miles. I'm getting a whistle or flute sound coming from engine after motor has been run a while (30minutes of more) Engine makes sound running or in neutral and changes pitch when you feather the go pedal. Seems to be vacuum related since sound will go away after you idle for a minute or two. replaced idle air control valve (ford Service) but did not help. Back in shop and mechanic has opened a case with ford engineers for help......any ideas....motor runs great without any decrease in fuel mpg or power. I'll try to attach a video with noise if I can figure it out.

thanks
'02 F250 Powerstoke diesel
'04 Winnebago 31C
7 REPLIES 7

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar situation - 2003 Winnie Minnie V10. While I can't remember the exact location, it was a hose collapsing under vacuum. Created a duck bill sound. No real impact on engine operation.

chateauboy
Explorer
Explorer
I will check into that further. Paid $400 for diagnostic/valve/ and labor for idle control valve. Ford is now telling me if it wasn’t the valve, then it’s the hose leaking. Figured the mechanic should have replaced hose with valve replacement....if there in fact is an idle control valve. Ford motorcraft parts does list an idle control valve for the 2003 v10 motor
'04 Winnebago 31C

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
chateauboy wrote:
replaced idle air control valve (ford Service)

There's no idle control valve on the V10.
You have an electronic throttle body, which controls the idle speed.

I suspect you have a spark plug leaking compression.

x2
im no mechanic but had experience with early v-10s in fleet vehicles. google search for v-10 spark plug issues"

other than spark plug issues the earlier v-10's were bullet proof 300k plus mile engines with routine maintenance

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
chateauboy wrote:
replaced idle air control valve (ford Service)

There's no idle control valve on the V10.
You have an electronic throttle body, which controls the idle speed.

I suspect you have a spark plug leaking compression.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Straylight
Explorer
Explorer
When I needed to find my exhaust leak, I used a three-foot piece of flexible rubber hose. An actual mechanic's stethoscope would be super useful, but you might already have something around that'll do the trick!

chateauboy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the advise...It's very difficult to get the motor to whistle with the engine cover off while in park. It will do it...but in very brief spurts. Rode down the highway with mechanic with doghouse partially off..got it to produce the sound but difficult to get to the area where we think its coming from.....crazy
'04 Winnebago 31C

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Vacuum leak for sure. Get a Mechanic's stethoscope and you will be able to locate leak. I use mine all the time working on older collector cars.