cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing on a ferry boat..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're taking a trip in a couple of weeks. It's been decades since I have been to the outer banks of NC. What do I need to know about towing a travel trailer onto and off of a ferry boat? How much more does it cost?
11 REPLIES 11

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Jamestown to Va Beach? Do you mean Jamestown to Scotland in Surry County, VA? That's the only ferry operating from Jamestown, VA.

mosseater wrote:
Took the ferry from Jamestown to VA Beach and it was fine. Didn't have the trailer attached but it would have been no problem. Also did the ferry across Port Aransas with trailer attached. It really is no big deal. Very fun as long as the wife stays out of my mirror, lol!

I suppose it was that one. It was right up the road from Jamestown Settlement. We took a day trip to VA Beach from Chickahominy Riverfront Municipal Park RV campground and that's the way we went.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Jamestown to Va Beach? Do you mean Jamestown to Scotland in Surry County, VA? That's the only ferry operating from Jamestown, VA.

mosseater wrote:
Took the ferry from Jamestown to VA Beach and it was fine. Didn't have the trailer attached but it would have been no problem. Also did the ferry across Port Aransas with trailer attached. It really is no big deal. Very fun as long as the wife stays out of my mirror, lol!

I suppose it was that one. It was right up the road from Jamestown Settlement. We took a day trip to VA Beach from Chickahominy Riverfront Municipal Park RV campground and that's the way we went.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
we have been on several nc ferries over the years but not with our TT. the ferry workers know what they are doing are great at guiding you on and off.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We take the ferry off of LI. You need to call a ahead as they have multiple boats and the TT will not fit well on some of them. Its a great way to travel saves us time going northbound.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

mosseater wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Sunset Creek 298 BH

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
The ferries that I have been on when in Alaska and Canada they took control and told you and helped you on and off. They know their jobs and have seen it all.
N4FAP

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Which ferry are you taking? The one from Hatteras to Ocracoke is free.

Been on that one twice with our camper and the Suburban. It's not too bad. They are really good at guiding you on and off the ferry.

The southern ferry from Ocracoke is not free. Never been on that one since I am always coming from the north.

Ocrakoke is one of our favorite places to visit. Not many campgrounds there and the state one pretty much boon docking in a gravel parking lot.

Our next trip there will not be a camping trip. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if it applies...but Washington State Ferries are expensive with a trailer...they charge by the foot...tow vehicle + trailer.

They do require that you turn off your propane.
Have a good trip.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to think about, particularly if it's a smaller ferry, is the tide. You might want to just check around when you want to go and pick a time where the tide is not extremely high or low just to make the loading angles easier.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ncdot.gov/travel-maps/ferry-tickets-services/Pages/default.aspx
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ