cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front mounted Tool Box, issues, Concerns? Is it safe?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I plan to embark on full-time camper living for the next measurable duration and would like opinions on front mounted tool boxes for storage. I have an American Built Cattle pusher style bumper which has the receiver tube fabricated in. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this, but it always seems to originate out of heavy-duty use or extreme environments, which makes sense. So if you've had issues with your snow plow, or in death valley lets just focus on regular temps.

Will it block cooling performance? How much? Negligible or significant? I know over time it can be problematic, but I am just trying to outfit every square inch of usability on my truck. Since it will be home.

I was following a youtube channel where a chap had his box front mounted because he had a regular cab, and he insisted he conducted a lot of research and it wouldn't hinder his truck.

The truck is a 2013 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel

So what does everyone think, yay or nay?
16 REPLIES 16

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
presh223 wrote:
Wow, so much good information, and you really went all out! What are you using for the base, did you fab your own or did you buy one and just put the box on top of it? You literally have thought of everything!

Thanks, it was a years-long project. Six to eight years at least. Use it, see a need, change it, use it, see a problem, change it........etc.

The base thatโ€™s holding the box to the truck is all custom made from angle-iron mostly. Some 2โ€ square tube, and some flat plate where needed. The pintle hitch mount came from etrailer if I remember right. Speaking of which, thatโ€™s how Iโ€™d handle your front bumper hitch. There are pintle hitch mounts that can provide 12โ€-18โ€ of drop. Iโ€™d buy one and build off of that rather than make any changes to your bumper. That thing is a beast!

If I ever need more approach angle clearance, I can raise the box up 6โ€ by bolting it up higher on the pintle mount.

:):)

Now I'm thinking I may be forced to put my motorcycle in front and box in rear. The box will probably hold up better in the rear to any swinging action since I'll need an extension. The box will probably have 200lbs inside while the bike is 260lbs and has a higher center of gravity. I know people will just say get a trailer, but I want to keep the footprint as nimble as possible.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
presh223 wrote:
Wow, so much good information, and you really went all out! What are you using for the base, did you fab your own or did you buy one and just put the box on top of it? You literally have thought of everything!

Thanks, it was a years-long project. Six to eight years at least. Use it, see a need, change it, use it, see a problem, change it........etc.

The base thatโ€™s holding the box to the truck is all custom made from angle-iron mostly. Some 2โ€ square tube, and some flat plate where needed. The pintle hitch mount came from etrailer if I remember right. Speaking of which, thatโ€™s how Iโ€™d handle your front bumper hitch. There are pintle hitch mounts that can provide 12โ€-18โ€ of drop. Iโ€™d buy one and build off of that rather than make any changes to your bumper. That thing is a beast!

If I ever need more approach angle clearance, I can raise the box up 6โ€ by bolting it up higher on the pintle mount.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I have a shallow truck-bed tool box that was given to me several years ago. I turned it into a front-hitch storage box that Iโ€™ve used to haul gear that I donโ€™t want inside the truck or camper on three trucks now. Itโ€™s been through several revisions and upgrades, and I think Iโ€™m on revision seven or eight now. Iโ€™ve used it on three trucks, and it hasnโ€™t caused any problems at all.

I discovered very quickly I needed some reminders that it was out there because I canโ€™t see any of it from the drivers seat. I put some fiberglass reflector rods on it first (above), then later bought some Bores brand bumper guides like the big trucks have (below). Coincidentally, the ones Bores make for the Ford F450โ€™s were the straightest ones they had, and were exactly what I needed. The bumper guides have little lights on top that Iโ€™ve connected to the running lights.

Next, I needed some ditch lights on the front of the box to help out when Iโ€™m trying to find a turn I need to take at night.........driving down an unlit road...........with no moon.....(really, really dark!). I bought some Hella driving lights, which were great until one of them took a rock and I found out that a replacement lens was going to cost nearly as much as the pair cost originally.

So, I bought some LED lights that cost less than the replacement lens was going to cost.

There were a few other little tweeks and adjustments along the way that required some cutting and welding. The first version was a fixed height, but I worried that it might cause a clearance problem for me someday, so I bought a pintle hitch mount for a 2โ€ receiver with a lot of up-down adjustability and had a matching plate welded on the rack that carries the tool box. Now I can move it up about 8โ€ if needed. It doesnโ€™t seem to affect the engine or transmission cooling at all.

Two turnbuckles keep the box rock steady.

I use the box to carry a Webber grill, a Yamaha 1000 generator, a roll-up table, and a few other little things. The only problem has been that itโ€™s a few inches too short for the generator, so I have to lean it over at an angle for the lid to shut. I have to make sure that the gas cap is on tight, the vent closed, the fuel shut off, and the carburetor side is facing up. I decided itโ€™s time to fix that issue, so I started looking for some way to put a โ€œbumpโ€ on the top so the Yamaha can sit up straight. Plan B is to drop a section of the bottom, but Iโ€™d have to place it to the left or right of center since the hitch tube is right in the middle. I havenโ€™t decided which way to go yet.

I started looking for some type of aluminum pan, tray or box that I could use. I eventually discovered that some commercial cake pans are made exactly like I wanted, and would be cheaper than having something custom made. I found a pan thatโ€™s 12โ€x18โ€x3โ€ with 90 degree sides, square welded corner seams, a flat lip around the top edge rather than rolled, and made of heavy aluminum.

So now I just need to cut a hole in the box and rivet it in place, then my generator will be able to stand up straight in the box.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Unles you're removing the radiator or grille, that bumper Looks like a blessing for getting into the engine bay. Built in steps. Watch your head sliding out from under with a creeper though!

Nice looking rig though!

Thank you. I did some work on it and literally had to kneel on the radiator the whole time. The bumper is good for one thing and one thing only. I like the way it looks, but it really is an impediment.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Isn't going to hurt a thing. Just looks goofy. Can buy a hitch rack for $75 about anywhere. Easy button to try it out.
What kind of "camper". You can put the same hitch rack on an extension behind a TC or most TT/5vers have or can easily accept a light weight hitch rack for the rear bumper.
Keeps the Pinocchio effect to a minimum.

Its an Arctic Fox 990, I was planning on putting a motorcycle back there, but now that you mention that pinocchio effect perhaps I should put the bike in front and the box in the rear.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
just kinda makes me wonder what occupies those big adz boxes. :h

Bodies. No dismemberment required. :W

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a shallow truck-bed tool box that was given to me several years ago. I turned it into a front-hitch storage box that Iโ€™ve used to haul gear that I donโ€™t want inside the truck or camper on three trucks now. Itโ€™s been through several revisions and upgrades, and I think Iโ€™m on revision seven or eight now. Iโ€™ve used it on three trucks, and it hasnโ€™t caused any problems at all.

I discovered very quickly I needed some reminders that it was out there because I canโ€™t see any of it from the drivers seat. I put some fiberglass reflector rods on it first (above), then later bought some Bores brand bumper guides like the big trucks have (below). Coincidentally, the ones Bores make for the Ford F450โ€™s were the straightest ones they had, and were exactly what I needed. The bumper guides have little lights on top that Iโ€™ve connected to the running lights.

Next, I needed some ditch lights on the front of the box to help out when Iโ€™m trying to find a turn I need to take at night.........driving down an unlit road...........with no moon.....(really, really dark!). I bought some Hella driving lights, which were great until one of them took a rock and I found out that a replacement lens was going to cost nearly as much as the pair cost originally.

So, I bought some LED lights that cost less than the replacement lens was going to cost.

There were a few other little tweeks and adjustments along the way that required some cutting and welding. The first version was a fixed height, but I worried that it might cause a clearance problem for me someday, so I bought a pintle hitch mount for a 2โ€ receiver with a lot of up-down adjustability and had a matching plate welded on the rack that carries the tool box. Now I can move it up about 8โ€ if needed. It doesnโ€™t seem to affect the engine or transmission cooling at all.

Two turnbuckles keep the box rock steady.

I use the box to carry a Webber grill, a Yamaha 1000 generator, a roll-up table, and a few other little things. The only problem has been that itโ€™s a few inches too short for the generator, so I have to lean it over at an angle for the lid to shut. I have to make sure that the gas cap is on tight, the vent closed, the fuel shut off, and the carburetor side is facing up. I decided itโ€™s time to fix that issue, so I started looking for some way to put a โ€œbumpโ€ on the top so the Yamaha can sit up straight. Plan B is to drop a section of the bottom, but Iโ€™d have to place it to the left or right of center since the hitch tube is right in the middle. I havenโ€™t decided which way to go yet.

I started looking for some type of aluminum pan, tray or box that I could use. I eventually discovered that some commercial cake pans are made exactly like I wanted, and would be cheaper than having something custom made. I found a pan thatโ€™s 12โ€x18โ€x3โ€ with 90 degree sides, square welded corner seams, a flat lip around the top edge rather than rolled, and made of heavy aluminum.

So now I just need to cut a hole in the box and rivet it in place, then my generator will be able to stand up straight in the box.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my box. First on my 2000 F250 now on a 1999 E250.

Only use it for one trip in the fall each year but have had no problems. I carry about 300 lbs in it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unles you're removing the radiator or grille, that bumper Looks like a blessing for getting into the engine bay. Built in steps. Watch your head sliding out from under with a creeper though!

Nice looking rig though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Isn't going to hurt a thing. Just looks goofy. Can buy a hitch rack for $75 about anywhere. Easy button to try it out.
What kind of "camper". You can put the same hitch rack on an extension behind a TC or most TT/5vers have or can easily accept a light weight hitch rack for the rear bumper.
Keeps the Pinocchio effect to a minimum.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many years ago I fabricated a motorcycle carrier/ramp on the front of my Class A gas motorhome. I carried a Harley on that rack for many years and had no overheating issues, even though the naysayers said it would overheat. And it was a 454 Chevy, which given any excuse would run hot. I did have to fit up some auxiliary headlights.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
I'm liking the general consensus. This bumper is kind of a curse. I think the tube is a little bit higher than I need it and will definitely block. If I have to install a Curt/Reese receiver for the front, I'm sure the bumper will interfere with that as well and I don't want to cut into the bumper to allow for a lower hitch receiver option. May have to sell that thing soon. It makes working on the truck a royal pain too. Anyway. I plan to carry thing's like Honda 2200 watt generator, gear, etc. Shouldn't weigh more than 300 lbs max and I think the front Axle will accommodate it.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have carried a Honda 3,500 gen in a box on my Ram CTD many times , No probs with overheating . Florida in summertime

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keeping tool box mounted below headlights/turn signals would be low enough you couldn't see it......
So I would envision property damage from whacking things when turning, parking etc

Other consideration...how much Front Axle Weight you currently have vs FAWR?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31