Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Direct TV help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please be patient with me gang. We are spec-ing a new MH. Ordering it with a Direct TV capable dome type dish. On the previous coach, I simply took the Direct receiver from on of the TVs in the house, hooked it up in the coach and had satellite TV. Recently Direct upgraded us to high def and gave us new receivers. One is a large receiver and the others seem to be dependent on working from it. I am not sure about this however. Direct also installed a new dish type antenna. The tech said the old one would not work with the nee receivers.
I am trying to figure out can I still take a receiver from the house and put in in the coach as a tech several years ago told me to do.
If I can, do I need to bring a receiver for each TV in the coach and which one to bring. I am sure when the order the coach, they will be able to install the dish antenna that matches the HD Direct TV we have. (at least I hope so)

I am getting no help from the lady from Direct, she thinks I want to buy a dome and sent me to Winegard. After 15 minutes of trying to make her understand I just thanked her and left.

So, do I need the big receiver and a couple of the little ones when we travel? Any explanation you can offer is preatly appreciated

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer is NO!
There is only one dome that might work with DirectHD
If you want to instal an automatic something on the roof, something I strongly discourage, your choice is a Winegard Travler or RFMogul. Both are automatic open face dishes. I had no end or problems with Travlers, and Winegard requires you to remove and ship to them for repairs. RFMogul can be repaired on your RV.
I assume by your description you have a Direct Genie and mini genies?
Do you have a GenieI or GenieII? There is a difference. The Genie II needs a dedicated wifi to work as I have been told by Direct.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
8 years OSP Camp Host
The Other Dallas

jorbill2or

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your ordering with a dome antenna not a travler or mogul no , the gene ( I think that’s what you now have ) needs a full dish array. The minis need the gene or they won’t work .. youlll need to but a separate receiver just for the RV or upgrade to a travler or mogul it they’ll install it ( I doubt).

Bill

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not what I wanted to hear guys, but what I was expecting nonetheless.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

Please be patient with me gang. We are spec-ing a new MH. Ordering it with a Direct TV capable dome type dish.
STOP, DON'T ORDER!

In 2019 DTV is dropping SD transmission and switching to HD transmission only. Basically the dome won't work.

Next post your model numbers. Genies use a single coax with SWM/SWiM technology which apparently you have at home. To be compatible your RV must also have a SWM dish either roof mounted or portable. Then you can move the Genie from home to RV, for a second TV you will also need to take the Genie Client.

I have the RF Mogul Eagle dish with SWM. We move the HR44 with all of the recorded shows to the MH when traveling. We don't use a second TV in either location hence no Genie Client.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee

Bob

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After many years of DTV, I switched to DISH.

There are NO rooftop domes that will give you HD with Directv.

I skipped rooftop and opted for an auto seek carryout, Winegard Pathway X2..

It lets you choose between eastern and western arc, a big advantage when trees are around.

We don’t care about in motion.

No dome works with Hopper. If you want a Hopper it’s a tripod and align yourself.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

charwan

Dawsonville, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc

They all are right in what they are tell you. I didn't want to change to Dish so I stayed with DTV. I have the Gennie with two minins at home. You have to get a stand along for your M/H. We have a Direct H24-200 in the MH with a Winnegard T-4. It is capable of getting Dish if we ever want. As far as the HD channels we don't miss them there are more then enought channels. All the local ones. The sat. in motion is something else. Note. If you have the new WIFI Directv they want let you have a stand along.

N4FAP

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

Please be patient with me gang. We are spec-ing a new MH. Ordering it with a Direct TV capable dome type dish. On the previous coach, I simply took the Direct receiver from on of the TVs in the house, hooked it up in the coach and had satellite TV. Recently Direct upgraded us to high def and gave us new receivers. One is a large receiver and the others seem to be dependent on working from it. I am not sure about this however. Direct also installed a new dish type antenna. The tech said the old one would not work with the nee receivers.
I am trying to figure out can I still take a receiver from the house and put in in the coach as a tech several years ago told me to do.
If I can, do I need to bring a receiver for each TV in the coach and which one to bring. I am sure when the order the coach, they will be able to install the dish antenna that matches the HD Direct TV we have. (at least I hope so)

I am getting no help from the lady from Direct, she thinks I want to buy a dome and sent me to Winegard. After 15 minutes of trying to make her understand I just thanked her and left.

So, do I need the big receiver and a couple of the little ones when we travel? Any explanation you can offer is preatly appreciated

You actually CAN use your Genie with with a dome but not the way the dome is setup from the factory. You will need to add the SWM8 hardware which costs around $100 and requires someone go on the roof to install the SWM8 switch. You will still NOT be able to get ANY Hi Def programming and there is a good possibility that the setup will only be good for about a year but in the meantime, if that doesn't sound too bad then it will work.
The best option is to install the Trav'ler or the RF Mogul antenna. However, I suggest that you drive around to a number or RV parks and see if you can find even 1 RV with the RF Mogul antenna on the roof. We are in Albuquerque, NM for the World's largest Balloon gathering with thousands of RV's and I have not seen an RF Mogul yet.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read this

This man is very knowledgeable.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YC 1 wrote:

Read this

This man is very knowledgeable.

That post from KVH really does not answer the real question....What channels will be be able to receive. We know we will get "some" channels but no one has said which. The 101 likely does not have the capability to broadcast ALL the channels in any 1 package and even if they could, why would they? No need to duplicate channels on multiple satellites.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS