cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paper currency refused

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Two different places refused to accept my $20 CAD notes, 1991 issue, so they're paper and not plastic.

Couldn't find anything official on government websites about paper losing legal tender status.

What gives and what can I do?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
19 REPLIES 19

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
I've been to a couple of RV parks here in the US that don't take US currency! "No Cash". "Credit Only". Weird but true and probably a sign of things to come.

It will gets worse
https://youtu.be/9H7BEd1hbzk

Credit card is more secure, and you get the best exchange rate.
I use little cash, DW use to get mad at me when I traveled for work with little cash, easier to keep track of expenses that way.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of this happening in Canada, with Canadian currency. What good is all the cash stored in Grandma's mattress, with such a rule? Of course, Mexico changed currency, with a cutoff date, making all else worthless. That has never happened in Canada, maybe with the penny, the one cent coin, which was abandoned just a few years back.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Foreign exchange are almost no longer in existent in most bank branches in the US. Or, you have to make a phone order 3 days in advance for the banks to service this need.

Unless it's foreign exchange trades in this specific market, there is simply not much volume to make this profitable at the branch level.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
daveB110 wrote:
Years ago before credit cards were common yet, Canadian money was not accepted in USA, with possible exceptions, like when a place like Reno, Nevada would take Canadian cash. But just across the boundary in Washington State? No way, even though resort towns in Canada always loved your Green backs.

I think youโ€™re forgetting one big fundamental difference though, the banking system itself.

Itโ€™s a little different today, but back in the day there was basically 5 banks in Canada and foreign currency exchange was pretty easy, even in very small towns.

In the US there was a myriad of independently owned and operated banks and they had no real interest in foreign currency, that made it very difficult and expensive to exchange Canadian money.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a bunch of Deutschmarks, Guilders and French Francs I can sell someone cheap
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago before credit cards were common yet, Canadian money was not accepted in USA, with possible exceptions, like when a place like Reno, Nevada would take Canadian cash. But just across the boundary in Washington State? No way, even though resort towns in Canada always loved your Green backs. For years our currency was generally close in Value. Then the Dieffendollar happened, when our Prime Minister changed how they administered our currency, and we found it worth less than the American in about 1959. His government fell, the next election. Even so, we still couldn'y use it in the south, afterall, we always had a two dollar bill. (So did America, and still does, but its bad luck, or something.) By the way, I still see the paper currency here in Canada, from time to time. Same value. You've heard about a cut-off time for old currency, but that was Mexico, not Canada.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I've been to a couple of RV parks here in the US that don't take US currency! "No Cash". "Credit Only". Weird but true and probably a sign of things to come.

It will gets worse
https://youtu.be/9H7BEd1hbzk

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

prairie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
On another note, a few years back 5-6 we had American Express travelers chequeโ€™s denominated in USD and couldnโ€™t buy fuel at a flying J somewhere in Oklahoma!! Go figure, plastic ( credit card) is the way to go today.:)

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
It is called legal tender and anyone who refused it in exchange for value is an illegal act under some limitations, example, 1 cent coins are legal tender only in 100 pcs.

Maybe in Canada but not in the US. link There is no federal law that requires it to be accepted.

Many small businesses find it cheaper to lose a sale than suffer a theft of cash.
Turret Class traveler

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember my experience in monetary matters correctly, currencies can no longer be valid 6 months from issuance of new notes.

It is called legal tender and anyone who refused it in exchange for value is an illegal act under some limitations, example, 1 cent coins are legal tender only in 100 pcs.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I am actually not surprised, ourr currency has been upgraded several times since then to make it more secure. Heck, the clerk was probably not old enough to recognize it.:B

Lol...nailed it!

Probably looked completely fake to the vendor
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am actually not surprised, ourr currency has been upgraded several times since then to make it more secure. Heck, the clerk was probably not old enough to recognize it.:B

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it should have been obvious to me, take them to a bank. Thanks for the quick replies!

BTW Thunder Bay ON is beautiful, fall colors, big fluffy snowflakes, waterfalls everywhere.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed