Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Paper currency refused
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Paper currency refused

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

It is called legal tender and anyone who refused it in exchange for value is an illegal act under some limitations, example, 1 cent coins are legal tender only in 100 pcs.

Maybe in Canada but not in the US. link There is no federal law that requires it to be accepted.

Many small businesses find it cheaper to lose a sale than suffer a theft of cash.

Turret Class traveler

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On another note, a few years back 5-6 we had American Express travelers cheque’s denominated in USD and couldn’t buy fuel at a flying J somewhere in Oklahoma!! Go figure, plastic ( credit card) is the way to go today.[emoticon]

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been to a couple of RV parks here in the US that don't take US currency! "No Cash". "Credit Only". Weird but true and probably a sign of things to come.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/18 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

I've been to a couple of RV parks here in the US that don't take US currency! "No Cash". "Credit Only". Weird but true and probably a sign of things to come.

It will gets worse
https://youtu.be/9H7BEd1hbzk

daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/18 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago before credit cards were common yet, Canadian money was not accepted in USA, with possible exceptions, like when a place like Reno, Nevada would take Canadian cash. But just across the boundary in Washington State? No way, even though resort towns in Canada always loved your Green backs. For years our currency was generally close in Value. Then the Dieffendollar happened, when our Prime Minister changed how they administered our currency, and we found it worth less than the American in about 1959. His government fell, the next election. Even so, we still couldn'y use it in the south, afterall, we always had a two dollar bill. (So did America, and still does, but its bad luck, or something.) By the way, I still see the paper currency here in Canada, from time to time. Same value. You've heard about a cut-off time for old currency, but that was Mexico, not Canada.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a bunch of Deutschmarks, Guilders and French Francs I can sell someone cheap

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveB110 wrote:

Years ago before credit cards were common yet, Canadian money was not accepted in USA, with possible exceptions, like when a place like Reno, Nevada would take Canadian cash. But just across the boundary in Washington State? No way, even though resort towns in Canada always loved your Green backs.

I think you’re forgetting one big fundamental difference though, the banking system itself.

It’s a little different today, but back in the day there was basically 5 banks in Canada and foreign currency exchange was pretty easy, even in very small towns.

In the US there was a myriad of independently owned and operated banks and they had no real interest in foreign currency, that made it very difficult and expensive to exchange Canadian money.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Foreign exchange are almost no longer in existent in most bank branches in the US. Or, you have to make a phone order 3 days in advance for the banks to service this need.

Unless it's foreign exchange trades in this specific market, there is simply not much volume to make this profitable at the branch level.

daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of this happening in Canada, with Canadian currency. What good is all the cash stored in Grandma's mattress, with such a rule? Of course, Mexico changed currency, with a cutoff date, making all else worthless. That has never happened in Canada, maybe with the penny, the one cent coin, which was abandoned just a few years back.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/18 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

mockturtle wrote:

It will gets worse
https://youtu.be/9H7BEd1hbzk

Credit card is more secure, and you get the best exchange rate.
I use little cash, DW use to get mad at me when I traveled for work with little cash, easier to keep track of expenses that way.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Paper currency refused
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS