cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SCOTUS Ruling on ND Voter ID Law

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
There's an interesting discussion on IRV2 about this recent SCOTUS ruling.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
15 REPLIES 15

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
They may not be absentee ballots anymore , in Florida it is VOTE BY MAIL

I believe that is what they "corrected" my request to when I requested an "absentee" ballot. Sort of refutes the whining that it is difficult to vote when all it takes is one phone call and two stamps.
bumpy

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
They may not be absentee ballots anymore , in Florida it is VOTE BY MAIL

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Executive wrote:
Simple thing called the absentee ballot. I've already voted. You should be registered to vote in whatever state you claim your residency. There are a few caveats that determine that but you'll have to read up on whatever state you're looking at to ensure you've followed their rules. We have a mail drop in SD with no S&B there, but all our banking, voter registration, license plates and DL are from there. When we stop full timing we may buy a home there to live in or we may not. Doesn't matter. Your domicile state is the one you 'may' live in one day but the important thing is your 'intent' meaning transfer all your stuff to the state you're claiming to be your domicile state. If you've done that, you're already registered to vote there. Use the absentee ballot and you're done...This whole nonsense is just that. If you want to vote, show some ID. The ND law indicates other forms of ID that are acceptable. This involves the Res Indians and even tho they have no 'street address' they can provide utility bills, bank statements etc that show where they live.....Dennis

I will have to check and see if VA will recognize an absentee ballot as proof of residency for purchase/registration of a pistol, the only item I have been told so far that works is a driver's license. I can easily change my voting registration to another state but changing drivers license would involve too much hassle.
bumpy

Executive has the best explanation. Vote by absentee ballot and yes, a mail forwarding service will be your address. It's also on your driver's license, on bank statements, etc.

We've not discussing guns here. We're discussing VOTING!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Simple thing called the absentee ballot. I've already voted. You should be registered to vote in whatever state you claim your residency. There are a few caveats that determine that but you'll have to read up on whatever state you're looking at to ensure you've followed their rules. We have a mail drop in SD with no S&B there, but all our banking, voter registration, license plates and DL are from there. When we stop full timing we may buy a home there to live in or we may not. Doesn't matter. Your domicile state is the one you 'may' live in one day but the important thing is your 'intent' meaning transfer all your stuff to the state you're claiming to be your domicile state. If you've done that, you're already registered to vote there. Use the absentee ballot and you're done...This whole nonsense is just that. If you want to vote, show some ID. The ND law indicates other forms of ID that are acceptable. This involves the Res Indians and even tho they have no 'street address' they can provide utility bills, bank statements etc that show where they live.....Dennis

I will have to check and see if VA will recognize an absentee ballot as proof of residency for purchase/registration of a pistol, the only item I have been told so far that works is a driver's license. I can easily change my voting registration to another state but changing drivers license would involve too much hassle.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
yep, don't try to obtain a concealed carry permit in a state other than the one on your driver's license. doesn't matter if you own a stick and brick in another state.
bumpy

Several states offer non resident conceal carry license. There's actually an advantage in MI to have a MI resident permit, and another state's non resident permit.

In addition, if you live in a state where obtaining a license is difficult, having a license from another state can be advantage to carrying in many other states.

I can get the non resident CClicense but I can only buy a pistol in my residence as stated on my driver's license. there is no reciprocity where I want/need it. I thought somebody was pushing a bill that would allow reciprocity in all states however.
bumpy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
yep, don't try to obtain a concealed carry permit in a state other than the one on your driver's license. doesn't matter if you own a stick and brick in another state.
bumpy

Several states offer non resident conceal carry license. There's actually an advantage in MI to have a MI resident permit, and another state's non resident permit.

In addition, if you live in a state where obtaining a license is difficult, having a license from another state can be advantage to carrying in many other states.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J&R wrote:
If you have an RV you most likely have a drivers license. This is issued some where. That is where you vote. Use absentee balloting if you cannot be there.

bumpy

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard that Justice Clarence Thomas has an RV. It will be interesting what questions HE asks during the hearing.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

The majority of fulltime RV'ers do in fact have legitimate street addresses through their mail forwarding service.

A mail service address is not the same as a residential address.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an RV you most likely have a drivers license. This is issued some where. That is where you vote. Use absentee balloting if you cannot be there.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

At least we now can clamp down on all those homeless RV ers.

The majority of fulltime RV'ers do in fact have legitimate street addresses through their mail forwarding service. Although I really doubt that ND has enough fulltime RV'ers domiciled there to be of any concern.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Many people don't live at their registered address, including many of the First People that challenged the law that don't have traditional street addresses. It seems to me that as long as a valid ID is presented that places the registered voter in the appropriate voting district, then they should be eligible to vote.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It solves a problem that doesnโ€™t exist.

Voters can do all that once at voters registration and vote with their voters card on Election Day.

At least we now can clamp down on all those homeless RV ers.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.