Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sub-freezing Weather UPDATE --- We froze the pipes!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Sub-freezing Weather UPDATE --- We froze the pipes!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whizbang, the RV in your signature and your description of freezing pipes reminds me of one of our nights camping in late Sept in Western Montana at Bannock State Park. It was freezing weather and a Class C, the only other one in the campground ran their generator off and on all night I'm assuming so they could run their furnace. We set our furnace to 45, but it never kicked on as it didn't get to that temp inside our FW. In the morning I turned on the catalytic heater.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang, if your going to insulate pipes, you may as well put “heat tape” on all of the piping, including sewer lines and valves....then insulate! Wire them to a switch, so as, you can turn on the tape when needed!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great suggestions.

After I posted, I reconsidered whether it makes sense to heat wrap the pipes rather than insulate.

I thought of putting the vents ron suggested in several locations in hopes that the room air would be enough. I think I will Y the duct and add a vent or two for flow thru.

I have some serious engineering and tinkering ahead of me this winter.

Thanks everybody!

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often do you camp in freezing temps? Also what are the usual cold temps you are in? There is a lot that you can do but what you did this trip may be enough to deal with the once or twice a lifetime of hitting those temps if that is all it is.

I have found that with all the tweaking that I have done over the years that for the real cold it is easier to just dump tanks and use antifreeze to flush the toilet.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Add Moving Sue and PhotoMike to that shortlist. I believe they did it with no shore power as well.

That'll separate out the men from the boys -> drycamping for a few days in single/low-double digit nighttime temperatures.

That's gotta take huge battery banks, large propane tanks, and a good generator system. I'd like to read some detailed write-ups on how folks do this "real RV'ing".

Cutting the cord is what camping is supposed to be. I guess some hunters get pretty good at this kind of camping ... though tents don't count in RV forums.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Add Moving Sue and PhotoMike to that shortlist. I believe they did it with no shore power as well.

That'll separate out the men from the boys -> drycamping for a few days in single/low-double digit nighttime temperatures.

That's gotta take huge battery banks, large propane tanks, and a good generator system. I'd like to read some detailed write-ups on how folks do this "real RV'ing".

Cutting the cord is what camping is supposed to be. I guess some hunters get pretty good at this kind of camping ... though tents don't count in RV forums.

You make it sound like an Antarctic expedition... it surely is not.

Common sense and a little prep work is all that's needed, you don't need huge propane tanks or a military grade generator system. You do need enough fuel to sustain the burn rate your comfort requires.

Keeping person and equipment warm takes energy, and energy costs money. Winter RV'ing is not a frugal endeavour although I'm sure many will disagree.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s much easier, if the RV was designed for sub zero F temperatures.

We’ve not had our class c out in temperatures, colder than single digits. We hope to do some short (2 to 4 days) boondocking trips this winter ....ice fishing trips. We will have water in the RV....and hope to be good to a minus 20 F. The only special provision that we’ve done, was to put an insulated divider between the RV body and the “totally uninsulated” van portion of the unit.

Hope to add 4 solar panels/ charge controller (already purchased), an inverter and an additional battery or two. That should make boondocking, more pleasurable !

We boondock for several weeks (all systems fully operational) at a time, in near zero to below zero nighttime temperatures in our 5er. But, it’s a little better suited for long term winter boondocking!

* This post was last edited 10/12/18 06:05pm by memtb *   View edit history

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

pnichols wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

You make it sound like an Antarctic expedition... it surely is not.

Common sense and a little prep work is all that's needed, you don't need huge propane tanks or a military grade generator system. You do need enough fuel to sustain the burn rate your comfort requires.

Keeping person and equipment warm takes energy, and energy costs money. Winter RV'ing is not a frugal endeavour although I'm sure many will disagree.

Well ... I'll bet it's way less than an Antarctic expedition the bigger the RV is.

A big RV allows one to carry a lot of stuff to fight the cold. A small RV is where the challenge probably is greatest.

We're not afraid of generators so we carry along a couple. We can heat everything with the propane furnace and tank heaters or in an emergency, heat just us with either generator or the cab heater via idling the V10.

* This post was edited 10/12/18 06:06pm by pnichols *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb,

You will need to protect the fridge.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/18 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

memtb,

You will need to protect the fridge.

We haven’t yet.....but, there’ always the first time! But.....we have very limited experience with the class c.

It’s never, “ knock on wood”, been an issue with our 5th wheel (s).

* This post was edited 10/13/18 07:35am by memtb *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Sub-freezing Weather UPDATE --- We froze the pipes!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS