cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lug bolts

Making_it_work
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys first time posting and I am stuck I bought an Old camper trailer and converted it to a flat deck the project is just about done but I need to find lug bolts and I can’t seem to get them anywhere they are 1/2”-13 course thread any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks
15 REPLIES 15

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Making it work wrote:
Hey guy thanks for all the help And quick response I ended up making some. I got some 1/2”-13 threaded rod and 12-1.5 open ended lug nut I retapped the nuts to 1/2”-13 and threaded them on then welded them seems to work great

Really bad idea.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Making it work wrote:
I ended up making some. I got some 1/2”-13 threaded rod and 12-1.5 open ended lug nut I retapped the nuts to 1/2”-13 and threaded them on then welded them seems to work great

The Highways people (MTOj, and the Commercial Vehicle Enforcment folks with your Regional Police Dept., just LOVE to see homemade trailers. They are the low-hanging fruit when it comes to writing tickets, LOTS of tickets.......

When they spot those welds the rubber gloves will come out, and that’s even if it had been safety inspected that morning, actually even more so if it was freshly certified, LOL, then could get 2 people, you AND the mechanic.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Snowbird posted the same link I was gonna post. Get the studs, some locktite and screw them in the hubs, then use the ½-20 Lug nuts and you are done.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'll presume you have mobile home type axles where the lug bolts screw into the hub with wedge spacers that center the rim since your description is lacking, but your solution alludes to these axles.
If so hardware store thread rod may get you going and is very ingenious, but likely grade 2 rod and not proper for the application.
If the bolts don't need a tapered shoulder (they mustn't since you welded a nut to a rod), then just use grade 8 bolts.
If they're shouldered (self centering) then you have an issue with centering if not using a cone shaped taper shoulder bolt.
Good luck with your project.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
studs
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Making_it_work
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to buy the real thing if you can show me where I can buy them??

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT CHEAP OUT AND USE threaded rod for wheel studs!!! Buy the real thing

Making_it_work
Explorer
Explorer
If I’m able to torque it down to 100 lbs is there anything else to worry about

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Since you think you've solved your problem, I don't know if you will come back to this thread and see this answer.

Back during what I now refer to as my Massively Misspent Youth I tried to use a piece of threaded rod as a replacement for a missing clutch rod. **** thing bent in half the first time I stepped on the clutch pedal.

Out of curiosity, I tied to look up the specs on threaded rod and wheel studs. Turns out that the average hardware store threaded rod is Grade 2 steel. There is at least one grade of threaded rod that is Grade 5.

Ordinary regular bolts are usually either Grade 5 or Grade 8. Grade 2 would be like the old stove bolts that snap so easily if you over tighten them.

I didn't find out what grade wheel bolts or studs are, but I did see some info that suggested that wheel studs are hardened even more than regular bolts are.

In short, I'm very much afraid that using ordinary threaded rod in place of wheel bolts or wheel studs is a potential accident waiting to happen.

Making_it_work
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guy thanks for all the help And quick response I ended up making some. I got some 1/2”-13 threaded rod and 12-1.5 open ended lug nut I retapped the nuts to 1/2”-13 and threaded them on then welded them seems to work great

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It might be that the trailer originally had plain holes in the wheels and used ordinary bolts. If you are looking for cone head bolts, the course thread is the problem.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Making it work wrote:
Hey guys first time posting and I am stuck I bought an Old camper trailer and converted it to a flat deck the project is just about done but I need to find lug bolts and I can’t seem to get them anywhere they are 1/2”-13 course thread any ideas or suggestions would be great thanks

Etrailer has them:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redline/RG02-020.html

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if any of these will work. Scroll down page.
click
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put new studs in with standard 1/2" x 20 lug nuts.