cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time saved/lost versus using motels

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you who RV a lot... in another thread people said that the freedom of RVing is a major plus, it's convenient to not have to load in/out, various other pluses... wondering... say you are going to be traveling around the country and deciding whether to RV or just get motel rooms. Can someone discuss if it's easier to get a motel room versus having to find a place to 'camp' for the night, be it a Walmart, state park or RV park. So, I guess it's looking at the time from arriving at a certain city/town to being ready to bed down. Or I could just ask is it easier to find a motel room or find a place to park your RV.
68 REPLIES 68

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
I considered selling our trailer and then just renting one every year for our big summer trips, where we go for 2+ weeks and go a further distance. But when I compared a 2-3 week rental vs 12 camper payments, it came out pretty close to even. Hotels would be pretty close also. I know there are maintenance, fees, etc. But we just compared it to our lifestyle and using the thing for our one big family vacation. And by purchasing we can use it throughout the rest of the year as well.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
For me it's about several things: 1) we take our large dog with us every where we go, I don't have to worry about whether or not motels/hotels accept pets or large pets. 2) I get to sleep in my own bed. 3) I can drive as long or short as I choose and can stop anywhere I want to sleep for the night. 4) I have my own shower/toilet and don't have to worry about who's used it before me. 5) I save a ton of money because I don't eat out as much.

I've done a cursory analysis of the cost differences. Excluding the cost of the rig and truck because I would have them anyway, its a break even situation between dining out/hotel/pet boarding costs and fuel/RV camping costs.

I'm a little slower in the camper and truck because I only drive 65 mph but it's easier to see the countryside if you slow down a bit so we don't mind. Plus the slower pace is easier on my camper.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have traveled both ways and if you already have a MH it is a cheaper and better way to travel to see the country. I used to track all my costs when I first started to travel in the MH and found most of my trips ranged from $70-100/day. That includes gas, food, CG's, propane, gifts my wife buys etc. The most expensive trip was Alaska in 2006 which cost $106/day. I could not do this cheaper traveling by car and staying in hotels. I think most hotels that my wife would want to stay at would run between $80-100/night without counting eating at restaurants everyday. Another consideration is if you want to drive after dark it is much easier to pull into a well lit Walmart etc at night that trying to find a CG off of your route and pull into a site after dark. The later you drive into the night by car the more the hotels fill up and the less chance of finding a room. If you don't already own a MH it will never be cheaper when you consider all the costs of ownership.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My general experience has been that driving my car (a pretty fuel efficient Honda Fit) and staying in motels and eating in restaurants--neither being fancy--is pretty much always a cheaper way to travel than driving my motorhome and camping in campgrounds.

When staying in one place for a few days, the camping often becomes more economical.

I prefer to travel with the motorhome; it's more fun and in many ways more comfortable. I can make a good cup of tea quickly in any rest area, or go potty without having to run out in the rain, or take a quick nap comfortably wherever I happen to be. But the fuel expense adds up pretty quickly, and it's a little slower going overall, and slightly more exhausting driving.

In many parts of the country, it's not difficult to find either motel/hotel accommodations or camping spots, at least for much of the year. Camping places in the north during the winter are pretty hard to come by. In some rural areas, motels or hotels are few and far between. But for the most part it's not too hard to find a place to spend the night in either case, at least with a tiny bit of research and preplanning.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I like to use campgrounds, set up an outside kitchen and cook for myself, RV traveling means much shorter driving days for me. Sleeping at motels or hotels, I might get in 7 PM, or maybe almost midnight, and get back on the road 5-6 hours after falling asleep.

But this would be different for someone who checks into a motel at 4 PM and checks out at 9-10 AM, compared to someone who just parks their motorhome somewhere on the street, parking lot, or rest area and is there only long enough to get a few hours sleep.

It is not always easy to get a room, without planning. Many times I've reached a place I would have liked to stop, only to learn that something is going on (sports event, concert, fair, livestock auction, etc) that has filled all rooms so that I must move on. But with the recent rapid growth of RVing, it is also getting difficult to find camping spaces without planning and making reservations.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Like others have mentioned, depends on the situation. I actually like staying in Air BnB/VRBO type places over hotels/motels when it's going to be for more than one night since they have kitchens and often separate living room areas. We are also still younger, working stiffs, so the option to drive everywhere for say, a weekend wedding, isn't an option unless we plan an entire week off work around it.

Just a few examples of when it was more convenient and possibly cheaper to not take the camper:

This past summer we went to Nashville for a wedding. Driving would have taken 2 very long days plus probably $350-$400 in gas each way, plus the cost of wherever we stopped for the night, or two nights if we split it up over 3 days. Plus the cost of the RV park once we got there. We ended up flying, using Southwest points, and stayed in an Air BnB about 10 min from downtown for around $110/night, we stayed for 4 nights. We did not rent a car, just used Lyft. We ate out probably as much as we would have even if we had brought the camper, since we had a full kitchen and stopped at a store for breakfast items and snacks, but no way could we have driven our dually in downtown Nashville, so we would have also taken Lyft even if we had the camper. In the end, it was cheaper and more convenient to fly, and this way, we got to actually enjoy the destination since we didn't have to spend half our vacation driving.

On the Friday before Labor Day, we drove up to Laramie for a concert. We've taken the camper before for football games, it's about a 2.5 hour drive with it (about 2 in a car), and stayed at the KOA there. It's $50/night at the KOA. We found a cheap motel room for $75/night. So it was a bit cheaper to stay in the motel because of gas savings, and the motel sucked and wasn't nice but it was just one night. Plus we were able to get there and get back faster, which was important that weekend. But for a game day, hotels are at least $150/night, so the KOA is cheaper for those instances.

But, we didn't buy the camper to save money, or to use it for every vacation. It's just another form of recreation for us. If we were retired and didn't have time constraints, we'd use it more for sure though.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
As ReneeG (and others)said, you just can't rationalize the expense of RV'ing, it's a lifestyle, I've stayed in a lot of hotel/motels, and to this day, I can count the ones that I have special memories of on 1/2 of one hand, not that there were anything wrong with most of them, but they just weren't special memories.

The one hotel stay I remember well, was in Great Falls, Montana. The hotel backed up to a park along the river, so it felt sort of like staying at a nice campground ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We do both. I guess we could be called "fair weather campers" - if it's going to be really hot or cold or stormy, we motel it. If we're in a place to savor being outdoors, we camp. Our camper is pretty minimalistic, so time involved in arrival-to-bedtime is pretty similar. IMO, camping is a total sensory experience - motels just offer a place to sleep.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are just too many factors to justify one over the other.

For every person who had a bad experience at a hotel there are at least five who had a great experience. For every five persons who had a great experience in an RV, there is at least one who didn't. But you won't see that here because this site is for people who HAVE and LIKE RVs. Likewise, you won't see it on a traditional travel site because they cater to people who stay at and enjoy hotels.

It's a personal choice.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent two nights in a motel $186 and it was a dump in comparison to our old tent. In comparison to our Winnie it was a Siberian Gulag vs Top of the Mark.

While it was a lot more convenient to the festival we were attending and we did get to talk to other attendees, I hated it. DW didn't feel it was worth taking the MoHo for 425 miles each way, her explorer is more economical to drive than the Winnie but we had two evening meals nearby and one was yuck and the other was not my favorite style of food so I was disappointed both nights and at a cost of over $35 each night, one buffet and the other two bowls of soup.. Lunch for one BLT and a curry bowl was over $30 without drinks.

I like my home with wheels.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

btcruzer
Explorer
Explorer
if we have to explain it you won't understand. get a room and leave the camping to us.
The Good Times are Coming !

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As an engineer type, I have lived my life at the bottom right corner of a spreadsheet.

If you are paying off a new (fill the vehicle combination of choice), you will loose.

If you are trying to save money with any RV of any type, it is really tough to do. All of ours until this one have been losers, but we learned a lot.

We now attend several music festivals in a year, accommodations in striking range are simply unavailable. Food there is outrageously expensive. They even charge way too much to dry camp on the lot/fairground.

But, when I compare all that to the cost of running a paid-for old coach, the coach wins. We do store it in our own barn and I do most all the maintenance that it needs, so that all adds up fast.

It all depends on what you are doing and when. It just may not work for you.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

btcruzer
Explorer
Explorer
if we have to explain it you won't understand. get a room and leave the camping to us.
The Good Times are Coming !

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Motel room, there are way more motels than campgrounds. If you RV its not really about that though. It's about having all your stuff to cook, eat, shower,sleep and all the other comforts of home. Plus the ability to get out in nature to some places that dont have hotels.

Motel Room?? - Not!

Way more motels than campgrounds? - Depends on where you are!

My REAL LIFE adventure/s for the same location - with wife and 2 kids.

First time: With TT, going to Port Angeles, WA (USA) to Victoria, BC
(Canada).
Arrive at the Ferry lot in the evening to be "staged" for the irst crossing in the morning. OK to spend the night in your RV - no charge. Did that, no problem..:C

Second time: - Train trip, rental car in Seattle - get to Port Angeles, with (my bad) no motel reservations..:( Choices were - go back 80 miles to town that *might* have motel room available -OR- (this apparently was a regular occurrence with travelers) - the residents of Port Angeles had rooms for rent in their homes. OK - took that one, worked out pretty well - DW and Daughter in one room, self and son in another. Cost was about the same as a motel.

Second time, Part two: Now we don't have to play the waiting to board the ferry game with an RV - we are "walk-ons". Leave rental car in Port Angeles - rent another in Victoria. Go thru motel accommodations book before boarding the ferry, pick nice motel - all is well.....ahhhh - sort of..;)

Take in the sights we missed in Victoria the first time, get back to motel for a good night's rest.....ahhh... for *most* of the night..:(

About 6AM the fire alarm (just outside our door) goes off! Since I'm in the "Fire Business' - I figure some smart azz kid has activated the alarm at a pull station. Somebody - will certainly re-set it ASAP.
But just to play it safe - I look out in the hallway, clear as a bell (no pun). Go to the window (2nd floor) look out - also all clear.

Now if the *&%!@ motel employees would just shut the darn thing off, we *might* be able to go back to sleep. Zilch - still ringing. Grab the phone to call the desk to give 'em some "encouragement".

Hmmmmmm - phone just rings and rings - like the alarm outside the door!
NOW - as I'm figuring something is just not right - someone begins pounding on the door shouting, "There's a fire, get out".

So we were a bit late joining the 100 or so guests standing around in various states of dress/undress in the parking lot, while the Fire Lads (Engine & Truck Co.) were finishing up doing their "thing".

Epilogue: The fire was down the enclosed hallway (long way) from us - the fire doors had activated, sealing our section from the room where a guest apparently dropped a cigarette in the chair on departing, resulting in a "fully involved" motel room! (Room was destroyed!)
When I had looked out our room door - all really WAS clear.

I'll take campgrounds (or parking lots) *ANY* time over motels!..:S

BTW - there's more to the *Train Trip From H*ll* - but it would take a lot of space. So, just remember *if* there's some problem on the rails.....trains often don't have an alternate "road" like you do in your RV. The alternate is a bus - and ancient junk ones at that.

:W