cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling a F450

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F450 that I carry a Host Mammoth on. While it handles very well with no issues, I was wanting to possibly level the truck out some. The truck squats about 3-1/2 inches when loaded. I would prefer not to use air bags and was wondering whether upper stable loads would help or not. Also any other recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks, Brinson
21 REPLIES 21

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I paired Red and the S&S it was stock and like yours I had almost 4" of squat with the TC. The truck handled fine as it was, but like you I wanted to sit level at the least. I had bags on my last and didn't like the ride so I went with upper Stableloads, that was in 2011. Those along with Bilsteins is the only mods done to the suspension, and I couldn't be happier 7 years later.
Red drops 1.75" now with the TC and has a little rake, and handles better. My ride empty is no different than stock.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Another Vote for upper stableloads. They are not bandages.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
brinson wrote:
I appreciate the advise guys. I will talk to my local frame and front end truck facility and see what they think. I definitely do not want to affect the every day ride of the truck as this is my daily driver. Like I said the truck handle pretty well as is but does squat some which affects my head lights. I can't imagine how 6000 lbs wouldn't cause most any truck to squat some even a F550. I've used air bags before and definitely do not want to go that route. I thought that upper stable loads may give it enough to compensate somewhat for the sag without affecting the ride unloaded as I assume additional springs would do.

There is no "one pill solves it all"
I had my camper scaled at 6500lb (with load from moving to different state) and new F350 dually did not squat to make headlights problems.
But I observed loading to keep COG to the front as far as I could control.
That said, no spring designed for 4000 lb will be soft under 900 lb empty weight.
I add sulastic hangers to soften empty ride and they did the wonder, but not a miracle.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
There’s never a shortage of stubborn, strident opinions here is there?

:):)

You can say that again.:W

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
There’s never a shortage of stubborn, strident opinions here is there?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek, working for you doesn’t make it right for a 20 year newer truck with 19.5s when you say you drive slow and aren’t in a hurry. Pretty much any setup would work for your parameters.

As far as air bags go, I’ve had them 12 years with my TC with two different trucks with Energy Suspension bump stops to take up the slack. I didn’t try all of the different methods because I tried what worked for others with similar setups on the SRW and went with the same setup on the DRW. Funny how that works. Of course, I could just be lucky with bandages.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Upper Stable Loads do not effect the unloaded ride. They simply involve the overload spring sooner. Also they are a rather simple install even for this 80 year old.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the advise guys. I will talk to my local frame and front end truck facility and see what they think. I definitely do not want to affect the every day ride of the truck as this is my daily driver. Like I said the truck handle pretty well as is but does squat some which affects my head lights. I can't imagine how 6000 lbs wouldn't cause most any truck to squat some even a F550. I've used air bags before and definitely do not want to go that route. I thought that upper stable loads may give it enough to compensate somewhat for the sag without affecting the ride unloaded as I assume additional springs would do.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
That works great if you keep your truck loaded, but it will negatively affect your unloaded ride. SDTruckSprings.com had good prices on upgraded spring packs for applications like that.

I disagree..Proper spring packs do not engage automatically..They do as weight is administered.In other words,a six pack of springs are not all engaged without weight as that is what mine are.Ad weight and they gradually engage.

Overloads should never have happened when another spring or two would correct any issue of weight when weight is added...My overloads are a joke on my F-350 dually....

I bought my truck loaded with all the artificial TC addons for weight..The previous guy could have saved a bunch by just adding springs that were tensioned right and it would have road better when not engaged....

We all have our opinions on what works best...Mine are from trying it all and it all came down to springs...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Bedlam
That works great if you keep your truck loaded, but it will negatively affect your unloaded ride. SDTruckSprings.com had good prices on upgraded spring packs for applications like that.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe because the overloads don’t engage until 3” of squat?

Dump the overloads and ad springs..That's what I would do...You do not need overloads if you have enough springs...

Mine is the same way and there on there way out and gone...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Bedlam
jaycocreek wrote:
Your spring rate is probably sufficient but you need more preload.

Really..Then why is he squatting...Add springs not bandages the internet community is advising.

Ad all the bandages and enjoy the sway....

Nonsense...

Maybe because the overloads don’t engage until 3” of squat?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
Add springs not bandages the internet community is advising.

Why aren't the springs considered the bandages? 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Your spring rate is probably sufficient but you need more preload.

Really..Then why is he squatting...Add springs not bandages the internet community is advising.

Ad all the bandages and enjoy the sway....

Nonsense...
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04