cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of taking Route 66 from Chicago to California.

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would like suggestions on taking the famous Route 66. Leaving Miami to either Chicago or California. Is the trip worth seeing? Roads good? Must see do or stops? Rv parks available?
11 REPLIES 11

Not applicable
Most of Missouri is ok. Some areas like devils elbow are old bridges. Oklahoma is mostly good. I drove it from mo to Tulsa and it was fun and road was good. From Tulsa on across I think is doable in a MH or fifth. We have a 34 class a. This does require some research.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
.... The locals tout Route 66 etc. etc. However, when they built I-40 they left portions of Route 66 as frontage roads. Pretty cool until you're 15 miles down the road and it ENDS!. Nothing irritates more than having to turn around and go back. ....

Sounds like the fault is with the locals or guidebooks that tout those deadend stretches. If they point you to those frontage roads, they should also warn you that they aren't through stretches.

I watched a video with lots of drone footage of the route. In a number of places you can see where they parked the truck at some dead end - a missing bridge, a bridge missing the deck, a bluff, or washed out stretch - and flew the drone over the missing piece.

It's also evident that the route was never static. Even before freeways it changed. La Bajada in New Mexico was used by 66 between 1926 and 1932

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/el_camino_real_de_tierra_adentro/la_bajada_mesa.html

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have only had the opportunity to do Joliet (that part of Chi is scary) to Albuquerque and we want to run what of the rest that we can some day.

As others have said above, BUY THE Book and start reading now.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest 'issue' I have with the trip is the idiots that designed I-40. The locals tout Route 66 etc. etc. However, when they built I-40 they left portions of Route 66 as frontage roads. Pretty cool until you're 15 miles down the road and it ENDS!. Nothing irritates more than having to turn around and go back. The least they could have done is made an entrance ramp back onto the Interstate where the road ended. It is a cool trip though. I remember, as a kid, traveling that road from Pasadena to Detroit every summer. Getting the trains to blow their horns as we feasted at one of the roadside tables. In Oatman Az, you can feed the donkeys on main street, in Seligman, you can eat at the Road Kill Cafe, in Oklahoma there's the wigwam village and the Blue Whale, enjoy the trip....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Do your research first before you head out.

"Many" parts of 66 are no longer. PBS did an in depth documentary of driving Route 66 and all the places to stop and see AND what parts were missing.

You can google it and watch the whole ordeal. That might help you decide. Me, after watching the Drive Route 66 series, I decided it was not worth my time. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Route 66 in 3 minutes.

WOW

That was quite a fast trip. Some not so good.

Safe travels. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Route 66 in 3 minutes.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We did some portions of it on a limited schedule. As others suggested,get some guide books and check out all the sites on the internet. Lot's of stuff out there.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I lived by it with the highway a street away from the back of my house. Still can't understand the charm, allure or significance. I'm sure there will be some along the way.

If it's in your bucket list and you have a lot of time in your hand. Why not?

Go for it!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We did the 1929-1932 Route 66 from Springfield, Il to needles, CA.
Some of the true Route 66 is not for todays RVs. Some bridges are low, very narrow road sections and curvy.
We got a couple of books. "EZ66 guide for Travelers" by Jerry McClanahan (ISBN 978-0-9709951-9-3) and "Route 66" by Tom Snyder(ISBN 978-0-312-64425-3). The EZ Guide is much better.
There is many stops shown in EX66 Guide like turkey tracks in concrete roadway, actual stops that were there during the period.
Route 66 follows much of I-40 so there is campgrounds.
I would suggest getting the EX66 Guide, go through it with a highlighter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Not much of the old Route 66 left. Mostly swallowed up by the interstate system. There are sections in NM and AZ that have to old character tho.

It is the classic American road trip. We stayed at a KOA south of St. Louis that was on 66.

Route 66 Map
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox