cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E-mail Problem that is driving me crazy

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
The DW receives email's from a certain company that she loves to do business with.. The problem is, that every email she receives from this company has links (hyperlinks) in it to view different products.. Not a one of the links work! This happens on all 3 computers in the house / shop that are using Windows 10.. One uses Firefox, One uses IE and one uses Chrome... all with same reuults.. no activity when selecting a link in the email.. These very same emails when opened on her Samsung Pad using Chrome work fine with the links.. The Windows computers also use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I have searched everywhere for something that might be selected or checked in the mail program to see if that might be the case but nothing.. any suggestions other than just telling her to use her pad which would not be to my benifit / enjoyment?...
28 REPLIES 28

If this happens with all email URL links, it's a flaw in WIN 10? You can hack the registry to allow email URL links to open in a browser once again. Though I would first do as others suggested, and try setting IE as your default browser, then re-start WIN 10. If email URL links still do not open, you will likely need to re-install IE browser, which should re-write the necessary registry settings.

If email links now open in IE, you can then go and make Chrome or Firefox your default browser if you so desire. Make sure it's working in IE before doing so.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:
The first question that comes to my mind is why would you want to link on advertising links in emails? It's a good way to corrupt one's computer. It sounds like some kind of software is trying to save you from yourself.

X2. Iโ€™d never click a link like that. If you know the company and want to go to their web site, type it into your browser.

Anybody can make an email appear to come from anywhere then make a link go to anywhere and do anything.

DITTO.

It's probably a good thing the links aren't opening via clicking on them in the email. You are saving yourself a lot of hassle from problems that your "click happy" wife could be creating if the links were opening.
Bob

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies / comments... consider this subject closed..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
Oh GAWD - the guy's wife loves to do business with the company that is sending the email - so no need for a security lecture.

OP wrote:
The DW receives email's from a certain company that she loves to do business with..

The OP whether they "asked" for a security lecture or not, NEEDS TO HEAR ONE, THEN TAKE THE ADVICE AND MAN UP.

Just randomly clicking links in an email is stupid, takes no though, takes no effort and the scammers DEPEND ON PEOPLE BEING LAZY, STUPID AND OBLIVIOUS TO THE POTENTIAL DANGER OF THEIR LAZINESS.

Tell the OP how to disable security features and eventually they will be back complaining of a virus, malware or worst of all RANSOM WARE..

OP better start backing up their PCs on a regular basis, they WILL be needing that backup one of these days.

Takes ZERO EFFORT to close the email then open their browser and choose from a bookmark their favorite website..

Takes A LOT OFF EFFORT TO UNDO A VIRUS, MALWARE and pretty much impossible to fix RANSOMWARE.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
I understand her wanting the links to work. Many companies, once you are a customer will send e-mails that contain coupons, special discounts, personal discounts based on your spending/points with the company etc. I've never had this problem, so have no idea what you can do to fix it. Just wanted to state that it's an e-mail from a known source and the links to their webpage are very commonly used by legitimate businesses. Hope you get it figured out for her.

First of all, you NEED to understand that "just because" other LEGIT businesses may use this practice of sending hyperlinks in an email does not mean that they ARE 100% "safe".

IT IS POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE TO DO SO.

I have lost track of how many PCs that folks have given to me to fix over the years that were so badly polluted with viruses that the PCs often took several hrs to boot and ALL, EVERY BIT OF THEM CAME FROM SUPPOSED "LEGIT" COUPON AND REBATE COMPANIES.

The OP is ASKING on HOW TO DISABLE THE ONLY SECURITY MEASURE THAT IS MOST LIKELY SAVING THEIR BACON.

I say MAN UP and tell your wife that it is a security risk to your PCs to open the hyperlinks in ANY EMAIL.

I HAVE my DW AND DD TRAINED to not do that stupid lazy action.

Scammers, hackers and depending on the human factor of LAZINESS to gain access to your PC or accounts.

EVERY LEGIT company that "offers" specials and coupons WILL have some sort of access DIRECTLY FROM THEIR WEBSITE to get that coupon!

Generally all you have to do is login to the website and check your account..

If the only way you can get that discount is from an email link, you NEED TO RUN from that business, period.

Emails are not safe, private or secure, it just how it was designed.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand her wanting the links to work. Many companies, once you are a customer will send e-mails that contain coupons, special discounts, personal discounts based on your spending/points with the company etc. I've never had this problem, so have no idea what you can do to fix it. Just wanted to state that it's an e-mail from a known source and the links to their webpage are very commonly used by legitimate businesses. Hope you get it figured out for her.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I quite often get email that purports to be from someplace I regularly do business with, but it's not from them. Phishers are very good at creating emails that look like legitimate notifications. I'd only click on a link once I had determined that the email was in fact from the source it appeared to be. Security lectures are rarely a bad idea.

I'm sure everyone does - I do, and I know how to verify the address. The difference here is that I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that they know where this email is coming from as they didn't ask about phishing/email security, scams, etc. The OP wants to know why an email link in a trusted email works on one computer about not on another.

x2. again. and unsubscribing. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I quite often get email that purports to be from someplace I regularly do business with, but it's not from them. Phishers are very good at creating emails that look like legitimate notifications. I'd only click on a link once I had determined that the email was in fact from the source it appeared to be. Security lectures are rarely a bad idea.

I'm sure everyone does - I do, and I know how to verify the address. The difference here is that I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that they know where this email is coming from as they didn't ask about phishing/email security, scams, etc. The OP wants to know why an email link in a trusted email works on one computer about not on another.

The point is that they canโ€™t possibly know where this email is coming from unless itโ€™s digitally signed which only a handful of geeks like me ever do. If the software on one of their computers is disabling the link then itโ€™s not the problem, the others are.

Please donโ€™t take this as personal criticism. Itโ€™s not. Many, probably most, people share your point of view. Thatโ€™s why phishing works.
Larry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:
The first question that comes to my mind is why would you want to link on advertising links in emails? It's a good way to corrupt one's computer. It sounds like some kind of software is trying to save you from yourself.

^^^THIS^^^

Clicking on hyperlinks in an email is an extremely good way to get an unwanted virus, keylogger, malware or give up your personal information..

First rule of IT, NEVER, EVER click on hyperlinks in an email..

Your email client may be DETECTING something wrong with the attached links, especially if that IS the ONLY email that the client is consistently disabling the hyperlinks..

You are much better to directly go to the business website to visit the webpages directly instead of using the links. So, if the business sends a email with "specials" hyperlinks, just close the email client and open your favorite browser and go directly to that website..

Even the act of copying the links then pasting into a browser may send you to a bad website.

There is too much spoofing of websites out there happening, the bad guys create very detailed fake websites which if you fall for it you might even "sign in" and they get your login and passwords not to mention any other information you give that fake website..

It is called Social Engineering, typically "Phishing"..

The bad guys depend on people to be lazy and click the hyperlinks in a email..
Oh GAWD - the guy's wife loves to do business with the company that is sending the email - so no need for a security lecture.

OP wrote:
The DW receives email's from a certain company that she loves to do business with..
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
AsheGuy wrote:

X2. Iโ€™d never click a link like that. If you know the company and want to go to their web site, type it into your browser.

Anybody can make an email appear to come from anywhere then make a link go to anywhere and do anything.
Larry

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Links in emails can be dangerous...
That said, most often the browser is what allows/disallows links to open. Verify your security settings...

A few things that could affect the links not opening:
Updates can be notorious for browser problems
Add-ins/Plugins can cause problems (Outlook, not sure with Thunderbird...)
installing/uninstalling browsers (Sometimes it helps to reset default browser to IE, then switch back to your preference)

A couple of links to your problem with Thunderbird:

Email links stopped working

Links not working in Thunderbird

Good Luck! Let us know if you get it solved, please.
Inquiring minds want to know...

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

x2
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:

^^^THIS^^^

Clicking on hyperlinks in an email is an extremely good way to get an unwanted virus, keylogger, malware or give up your personal information..

First rule of IT, NEVER, EVER click on hyperlinks in an email..

Your email client may be DETECTING something wrong with the attached links, especially if that IS the ONLY email that the client is consistently disabling the hyperlinks..

You are much better to directly go to the business website to visit the webpages directly instead of using the links. So, if the business sends a email with "specials" hyperlinks, just close the email client and open your favorite browser and go directly to that website..

Even the act of copying the links then pasting into a browser may send you to a bad website.

There is too much spoofing of websites out there happening, the bad guys create very detailed fake websites which if you fall for it you might even "sign in" and they get your login and passwords not to mention any other information you give that fake website..

It is called Social Engineering, typically "Phishing"..

The bad guys depend on people to be lazy and click the hyperlinks in a email..

OP wrote:
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS