cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Grey Wolf - Outdoor Speakers

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
On our maiden trip discovered that the outdoor speakers sound really bad. Indoor ones are great. The outdoor ones are tinny and static sounding. Really not listenable accept to drown out loud talking neighbors.

Is this typical or a bad installation?
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf
9 REPLIES 9

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
MAJOR RANT here, Please stay at the other end of the campground from us with your cheap tinny speakers, I hate it when people play their music loud enough for all to hear thinking that everyone likes the same kind noise. Your soothing lullaby is usually fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I'm a classical musician so there ain't much you can play that sounds decent. Why are you heading for the great outdoors and bringing along your annoying indoor residential noises to ruin the tranquil ambiance for others?

Shoot, myswell keep going, how about you all in your big 5'ers and Class A's with big sound systems playing movies at night while the rest of us suffer through explosions and screams from your 2 hour movies? Sound really carries at night so you should use headphones. Please have mercy.

Ok, I'm done.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
rightlaneonly wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
On our maiden trip discovered that the outdoor speakers sound really bad. Indoor ones are great. The outdoor ones are tinny and static sounding. Really not listenable accept to drown out loud talking neighbors.

Maybe they talk loud to drown out the cheap tinny outdoor speakers:h

And the noise police have chimed in with their first snarky comment.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dealer confirmed that reversed wiring a good possibility. So I will take them off and see.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Concur with the possible polarity problem. Pull one speaker, swap the wires on the terminals and put it back in and check the sound. Opposite polarity on the speakers will cause cancellation of many frequencies, distance & frequency length dependent, if the same signal is sent to both speakers in the sound mix.
Some sound FX units in the past had a Kareoke mode where it would take the normal human speech frquency range and make one of the stereo signal sides opposite polarity in that range only. The result would be most music would be normal but the vocals would be significantly squashed out (also middle acoustic guitar sounds).
So try that before replacing the speakers.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
As colliehauler said, if you replace the speakers make sure you use marine type speakers. They are designed for wet locations. But the speaker may not be your problem.

One of my outdoor speakers had a buzzing static sound that made it practically unusable. I discovered that the sound was not the fault of the speaker but rather the surround for the speaker. This particular speaker protruded into an overhead cabinet in the kitchen. It was covered with a thin plastic box stapled to the inside wall of the cabinet. It gave the speaker some physical protection but it vibrated when the speaker was being used. I ripped off the plastic box and substituted one I made from heavier plywood. Problem solved. Perhaps this is really your problem and not your speaker.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides being the cheapest that can be found they most likely wired them reverse polarity.
Forest River is notorius for it as well as wiring the exterior pair to the right channel of output 3, and the interior pair to the left channel of output 1. The Amish, and Forest River especially, are far from qualifying as audiophiles lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:

Maybe they talk loud to drown out the cheap tinny outdoor speakers:h
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Typical, cheap junk. You can replace them with better quality speakers but they have to be shallow mount marine speakers. You run into problems because the wall is not very thick 1.5 inches in most case.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
From reading these forums over the years, I would have to say poor quality/sounding outdoor speakers are typical. Having said that, my outdoor speakers have a great sound, with good clarity. Mine are a marine type speaker, but not sure of the brand.

Jerry