cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water overflow?

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I’ve got I think a 48 gallon fresh tank, but it’s not a gravity fill. My question is, Does it have an overflow valve somewhere? I’d hate to find out the hard way that it doesn’t. I know my old 25 gallon gravity fill did. Thanks you
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHS—2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
15 REPLIES 15

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you are losing water out the vents while traveling, it is not a siphon, it is simply a spill that occurs while rounding a curve or driving up or down hills. Many thousands of RVs have been built with the vent pipes attached at the top of the tank and then go straight down and out the bottom. Of course when the "bucket" is tilted, water spills out. The proper fix is to run the vents out the side well above tank water level. Putting valves on vent pipes is a dangerous idea, one time doing it wrong will cause severe damage. Notice that I said "pipes" as in two or more, if there is only one then that too is wrong because the venting should have twice the capacity as the supply line.

The pickup point for water supplied to the pump should be on the bottom, many are on the side which doesn't allow full use of the tank capacity. The fix is to plug that port and attach the hose to the drain port with a tee.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

I also prefer a gravity fill but I've also found that it's much better to fill your tank =slowly=. I'm pretty sure that the first time I boondocked with my new KZ, which doesn't have a gravity fill, I managed to siphon out a goodly portion of my fresh water. I was filling and got a good flow out of the overflow but, even being as water-conscious as possible, we managed to run out of fresh water in just 4 days. I'm =supposed= to have 61 gallons, total, and I plan on getting a meter to check that I'm actually getting 61 gallons. Next time I have it at the house, I'm going to check, then drive around a bit with someone following me to see if I get any siphoning. Then, I'll measure what I get from the low-point drain. I've read more than once on here that people expect to have a tank of X gallons but end up with one that's X-10 or 15 gallons.

Lyle

Check where your pump draws water from the tank. On mine, the fitting is on the side of the tank so the pump will start sucking air when there is still about 1" to 1 1/2" of water still in the tank. That works out to about 7 or 8 gallons of water. If I need that last bit of water, I just adjust the levelers to put the driver's rear corner low enough for the pump to draw more water. Just not more that 3 degrees off level as that would cause issues with the fridge.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
You can put water in the tank faster than the overflow can let it out. I once saw someone walk away from their trailer while filling the water tank. The tank over-filled and bowed the floor inside the trailer because the overflow couldn't handle the input. I suppose the tank would have eventually ruptured if left any longer. Luckily, there didn't appear to be any damage to the floor.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of vents/drains, can someone explain why my unit doesn't have low point drains like older units that I'm familiar with?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Given the "standard" quality of most mfrs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a bit of the overflow pipe/hose got stuck down into the tank a bit, which =would= siphon, once it got started. As a former farmer who used siphons from 1" to 4" in size, it's amazing how little head difference it can take to run a siphon.

Lyle

In that case, I'd fix the overflow instead of putting in a ball valve. Have you ever noticed what a bag of chips does as you head into the mountains? just sayin...
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
camperdave wrote:
The vent is at the top of the tank, I don't see how it can siphon out. Maybe splash a bit out, but even then just re-route the vent to loop up a bit higher if it's a problem.

I'd be super leery of valving off the vent, even if only for travel.

Given the "standard" quality of most mfrs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a bit of the overflow pipe/hose got stuck down into the tank a bit, which =would= siphon, once it got started. As a former farmer who used siphons from 1" to 4" in size, it's amazing how little head difference it can take to run a siphon.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
The vent is at the top of the tank, I don't see how it can siphon out. Maybe splash a bit out, but even then just re-route the vent to loop up a bit higher if it's a problem.

I'd be super leery of valving off the vent, even if only for travel.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
TazFord wrote:
Thank you everyone. I was just leary of overfill after hearing stories of damaging RV’s. Now I know and I found them dangling by my drain plug as stated above. Also it makes sense that the displaced air needs to go somewhere, just never thought of it. Prefer gravity fill but we’re learning.

One modification for you to consider. If you travel with a full water tank, you'll likely find that you will arrive at your destination about 2/3 full as the water tends to siphon out the overflow while travelling. Many install a ball valve on the overflow(s) that remain closed ONLY while travelling so that you dont lose water. Just have to make sure they remain open all the rest of the time so that you dont blow the tank up, or collapse it with vacuum.

I did this on my Cardinal, as I always travel to my local camping destinations that are not full hookup with a full tank. I despise sitting at the dump station filling at arrival.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TazFord wrote:
Thank you everyone. I was just leary of overfill after hearing stories of damaging RV’s. Now I know and I found them dangling by my drain plug as stated above. Also it makes sense that the displaced air needs to go somewhere, just never thought of it. Prefer gravity fill but we’re learning.

I also prefer a gravity fill but I've also found that it's much better to fill your tank =slowly=. I'm pretty sure that the first time I boondocked with my new KZ, which doesn't have a gravity fill, I managed to siphon out a goodly portion of my fresh water. I was filling and got a good flow out of the overflow but, even being as water-conscious as possible, we managed to run out of fresh water in just 4 days. I'm =supposed= to have 61 gallons, total, and I plan on getting a meter to check that I'm actually getting 61 gallons. Next time I have it at the house, I'm going to check, then drive around a bit with someone following me to see if I get any siphoning. Then, I'll measure what I get from the low-point drain. I've read more than once on here that people expect to have a tank of X gallons but end up with one that's X-10 or 15 gallons.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHS—2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Grand Design Reflection 303rls has a vent tube that comes down next to the drain valve. When it is full it really comes out as it is a 3/4" tube.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above, somewhere on your camper the fresh water tank has an air vent. My previous TT all had gravity fill ports with an small screened vent tube right beside the fill port. When tank was fill, it spitted out that vent tube.

On my new 5er, the fill is located in the front bay area, and the water tank must be located in the rear. On the side of the 5er is a little black plastic thing. When the tank is full, water comes spewing out of it. That's my air vent tube. Fill yours, when water spews out of a tube or a funny looking gizmo on the side of your camper, you know the tank is full.

And, the end of that tube will be set up higher than your water tank so no water sitting in it can cause a vacuum. So, it will be located somewhere around chest high on the side of your camper.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look under the rig in the area around the fresh water tank for a small(1/2 inch) pipe with no cap and possibly a bug screen.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Air has to go somewhere as you are filling so it should have a vent/overflow somewhere.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat