Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery recommendations for 1500W inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery recommendations for 1500W inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

road-runner wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I measure my voltage drop at the batteries with the Trimetric monitor. That includes the wiring and batteries for cause of drop at any amps. Of course the actual voltage 'seen' at the inverter is less across the wiring, but the drop seen is the same, just from a lower starting point.
If I may nitpick,the voltage drop in the wiring will increase as the battery voltage goes down. Assuming a constant load on the inverter, a 10% drop in the battery voltage will lead to a ~10% increase in the inverter's DC current draw. Most likely a much smaller factor than the battery voltage drop, so not much of a factor in the big picture.

Good point! Inverter "creep" as the voltage drops the amps go up to try to maintain watts.

I am trying to see how that works with inverter-gens too at 120v and 120 amps. Seems to be there, but I don't have much data yet.

All those electrons sure manage to keep busy [emoticon]

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specifically you do not want Lifeline batteries if your vertical clearance is limited. If it isn't limited you can go with the extra tall Lifelines and get CCA and extra long life, plus Peukert superiority for low draw loads.

I have drawn 4500+ watts with my Trace inverter. Even six tons of wet cells draws down over a volt.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

My 4x GC2 from Costco have done just fine driving the microwave.

There is your answer.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My setup;
Four Sam's Club GC2
2,000 watt PSW Xantrex inverter
8' x 2 of 2/0 cu cable

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-There is your answer-

If you are a clone and use the microwave like he does. How long can it drive a microwave? That is...

The Rest Of The Story...

Coffee warmup 3 minutes

Marie Callander pot pie 5 minutes

Big bowl of frozen vegetables 8 minutes

(2) Russet potatoes 13 minutes

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/18 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LI would be best but are still far too expensive and can't be used in the cold.

AGM are next best.

Wire run to the battery bank needs to be short. Place the inverter as close as humanly possible to the battery bank without it being in the same compartment.

I was able to successfully power my microwave (1561 watts input) on 3 Marine jars. I can do it on two AGM's but of course do not do so.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/18 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

syperk wrote:

Mostly I'm just looking for someone else running a 12V 1500W (or greater) inverter to get some insight into what battery setup they have.

Sorry but running your Microwave off batteries and inverter not going to happen unless you really want to put in alot of batteries. I would never even try and we have 6 T105's. Good luck

40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Latviaman

Central Valley, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 12:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP I just completed an install like you were asking. I have 2 Lifeline GPL-4CT 6 volt batteries. I installed a gopower 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter . The cables were 1/0 for all my cables. A total length of the positive cable was 1ft from battery to the fuse and 3ft to the inverter r. I have some done some minimum testing with a microwave just testing a cup of water for about 5 minutes in 1 minute intervals. I can’t remember my microwave size. I have a 2012 lance 855s. If I remember correctly the voltage dropped to about 11.5 when using the microwave. I hope this helps. I won’t be able to do any further testing for a while.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One AGM advantage doing this, is their higher voltage per SOC in the first place. This means they can be used to run the microwave when at a lower SOC and still not hit the inverter's 11v alarm.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

My setup;
Four Sam's Club GC2
2,000 watt PSW Xantrex inverter
8' x 2 of 2/0 cu cable

The simplest thing for the OP to try is going to large cables.

You can buy pre-made cables on Amazon for less than less than $50 for 1/0 and less than $55 for 2/0

Swapping cables is a lot easier than trying to mount 2 additional batteries that would likely require large wire anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery recommendations for 1500W inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS