cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating Fresh water tank

Eaglescout94
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a 97 Jayco 5th wheel and after my last trip I’m looking to relocating the fresh water tank and possible getting a larger one. The current one is under the futon/sofa inside the living quarters, I’d like to put a new one under the camper, possible above the axles to keep the weight when loaded centralized. Does this sound like a good idea or not? If I relocate the tank I then plan on setting up all the electronics that are under the sofa on a sliding platform to make it easier to access when needed and put a sliding platform or even just leave the space where the water tank was (currently is) open to store whatever. So what’s all of your opinions, relocate the tank or leave it where it is?
12 REPLIES 12

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 50 gallon fresh water tanks slung above the axle's as well as 2 50 gallon waste tanks in front of the axles exposed to the road with no problems. Your not going to freeze up 50 gallons of water doing a little cold camping. My fresh water tank lines come off the bottom of the tanks and are exposed until they enter the camper, to combat freezing I wrapped the lines with heat tape and pipe insulation so if the lines get a little ice build up during the night a short genny run to power the heat tapes will free them up.
Only word of caution with having tanks above the axles is make sure the axles won't hit the tanks when the suspension is fully compressed, Eclipse Manufacturing couldn't figure this out when they built my pile of a toy hauler and the axles where smashing into full water tanks causing the tops of my tanks blowing out due to hydraulic pressure. One new tank, one repaired tank and an axle flip took care of the issue.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Eaglescout94
Explorer
Explorer
There is my big issue, none of the underside of my camper is enclosed, I’m planning on at minimum on insulating and enclosing the upper section( master bedroom)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use water all day everyday in some very cold climates like all of last Winter in NJ. That's what heat is for. However, all of my tanks and bays are enclosed and all wet bays are heated.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Eaglescout94
Explorer
Explorer
It seems the majority say to just add another tank with a crossover type pump and line system, Correct? I dont care what the resale would be and have no intention of getting anything newer for a while, not in the budget and that means id have to lift another camper to work with my truck and I have no need for a larger unit. Its me most of the time and occasionally my girlfriend so the increased water would be good for her.I camp during the cold but its usually the dead of winter where im lucky to see 30 degrees during the day so i dont deal with water for the weekend... Unless someone has a recommendation on how to use water without risk or burst pipes?

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I took the 30 gallon fresh water tank out from under the couch and installed 3 40 gallon tanks under my 5th. Removed the 40 gallon grey and installed 3 35 gallon tanks underneath. The 40 gallon black was sufficient. (25 ft 5er is tanks from stem to stern underneath) 400 watts of solar keeps everything else going.

This allows us to stay without utilities for up to 10 days at a clip.

Not a trivial undertaking, but well within most home-butchers abilities.

Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My class c has two water tanks--one under each dinette seat. That may be an easy way to add more capacity. However, don't forget the waste tanks are only so big.

You may wish to look at a pump that could transfer water from the grey tank to the black.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have added additional water tanks to our current and previous two trailers. Between the axles is the perfect location weight and balance wise. Forget worrying about " road debris". I will not purchase a trailer with underliner and my tanks have always been exposed, including black and gray. Thats making a mountain from a molehill. If you hit something large enough to damage a tank its going to also tear right through coroplast and probably take out all the ABS plumbing and some other things as well.

I use a 3 way valve to switch from one tank to another. You can only have so much line between each tank and valve and the valve and pump. The pump manufacturers say 6' but I have had 10' and the pump will prime and siphon when switched.

If you can lay your hands on an Alpha Systems tank they are the best I have found. 39 gallon with depression for pickup and drain, really solid for a blow molded poly tank. They were on Amazon for $162.00.

Alpha Systems

The Amazon pictures do them no justice. Follow link and click on either VB28546W or VB28547W

Cad Drawings
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The age of the unit has nothing at all to do with the project so you can move on to other posters information.
If you NEVER do any cold weather camping the location of the water tank will not matter. If you do, you will want to reconsider your choice. The location under the coach, above the axle will also be subject to a great deal of road debris so you will need to ensure a well built surround to keep it safe. That all adds up to a lot of new weight as well. Water is about 8# per gallon plus the larger tank plus the new surround. Will the trailer have enough weight carrying capacity to handle all of that? Just a few thoughts. As others mention, you can add a tank as well or carry a water bladder in the bed of a pickup truck to add fresh water capacity. Black and Grey tank capacities don't change with any of the fresh water changes so what are you going to do with all that fresh water when your black and grey tanks are full?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I agree with adding a new tank and keeping the old. And the beauty of an older rig is you can modify it as much as you want without worrying about resale or anything like that. If you're handy and down for tackling a project, go for it.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
We boondocked a lot and went to races and events
Add in 3 women and water was used up fast. 🙂
I added a 30 gallon tank
Way easier than trying to relocate the existing tank

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
On the bright side, having your freshwater tank inside the camper makes it better for colder weather camping. Lessens the freezing probability.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Way too much for a camper that is 20 years old. Live with it, consider what you like and don't like and get a much newer one.

Consider how much it would cost to have someone do it for you, then consider what the unit is really worth on the market. There is likely better projects to tackle with a new unit.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel