cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kelderman upgrade

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an article on the Kelderman suspension upgrades for the F53 chassis and thought it might improve the ride. I'ts a bit pricey, but wonder if it's worth the $$? Can not find too many reviews or any recent ones.

Kelderman suggested doing front first as that makes the biggest improvement. Rear tends to be a bit more involved depending on placement of water, electric etc lines.

As I research this, it looks like Koni FSD shocks migth be an interum step. Also found that when I replaced the Goodyear tires with Hankook's that made a difference - they were not as hard(?). Due for tires soon.

Thanks to all who share their knowledge.
2 REPLIES 2

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I looked closely at Kielderman and came close to doing it. I questioned them about the mounting as there is a hole drilled in the bottom flange of the frame. IMO that is not a great idea without beefing up the frame in that area. I sent them an e-mail and had no response to the question. I called them and who ever I talked to sounded like he had less technical knowledge than a hog. Answer was "we have done a lot of them that way." That doesn't mean it is correct. He didn't have an answer when I asked who picked up the tab if the frame failed. Talked to the dealer and got the same reply. So many when they called Kielderman they didn't know they were an authorized dealer.

Ended up going with Sumo's. I feel that I only got a 30% improvement on ride and maybe 20% improvement on handling. Not what I was expecting.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Kelderman air ride on the front of my F53 chassis. If I had it to do over again, I would not do it. It only made a marginal difference for a considerable cost. I should have stayed with Koni FSDs. It is also a pain to constantly check the air pressure. The system also has a tendency to leak air pressure. Save your money.