cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV upgrade to Genie 2 knocks RV'rs out

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We were due an upgrade for our Directv at home. The old system would freeze up, reboot on it's own, turned into a nightmare. We went from the Genie 1 system to the Genie 2. Awful idea.

The new system has the same exact issues as the old one The system is wireless and comes with a router looking tower.

We've had an old Directv box in our Motor homes since 2007. Well here we are, 600 miles from home, with no direct because they can't refresh the box in here since our recent "upgrade". The genie 2 system, from what I can understand only communicates to the mini boxes, wireless in the home. Not a happy camper, literally.

Just an FYI for my fellow Direct customers.

I'm gonna have to go back to the Genie 1 when we get home next month.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
37 REPLIES 37

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
This thread is a hot mess. Iโ€™m not certain what the central question is, but Iโ€™d like to state for the record that I have the Genie 2 system in my MH and have been using it for over a year. It works well with my Travโ€™lr sat dish that I used with the old Genie system that it replaced. It does NOT need to be connected to wifi to work. However, if you want to access on-demand programming, you will need to be connected to a wifi network. No different than with any other Genie system.

This pretty much clears everything up for me. Bring my home Genie II with us when we depart.

Thank you.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is a hot mess. Iโ€™m not certain what the central question is, but Iโ€™d like to state for the record that I have the Genie 2 system in my MH and have been using it for over a year. It works well with my Travโ€™lr sat dish that I used with the old Genie system that it replaced. It does NOT need to be connected to wifi to work. However, if you want to access on-demand programming, you will need to be connected to a wifi network. No different than with any other Genie system.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJL,

Determine what type of dish you have in the MH. SWM is Single Wire Multiswitch which is a single coax that carries multiple channels vs earlier technology that was 1 channel per coax. Genies require a SWM dish.

Not sure of the Genie model release but I believe it's HR44, HR54, Genie 2 and there may be earlier models.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a Trav'ler antenna (or a tripod based home antenna) that worked with your old Genie it should work with the Genie 2. As mentioned, the problem is that the Genie 2 is NOT a receiver so it does not connect to ANY TV at home or in the RV. You use the wireless server built into the Genie 2. I don't believe there is a hardwire option for the mini's.
You might want to watch this video from Solid Signal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTH_4uHxCG0
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
CA... Hmmmmmmm. Genie 2, mobile hot spot on my cell might work. Didnt think of that. No idea what a "SWM" dish is. I assume the Genie HR44 you mention is the system before the Genie 2 system.

My system before the Genie 2 I was able to watch Direct in the MH.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My understanding is that the Genie II does not allow any other receiver on the same account.

Why can't you use the Genie II receiver in the MH assuming you have a SWM dish in the MH? Or maybe change your account to another receiver?

My Genie HR44 receiver works the same at home and in the MH. When traveling in the MH I have to change the locals as required of course. One account.

And my HR24 and HR44 both worked on the same account. Plus I had 5+2 channel recording and saw 7 channel recording on both receivers.

Bob

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Im reviving my old topic. Anyone have anything further on this? Has anyone here in the know heard of maybe another upgrade in the works that we'll be able to use Direct in my RV again.I called Directv tonight and they said "Simply just add another account". HaHa. Like I'm gonna pay them MORE money.

Also, if I were to switch to DISH, assuming they have an RV compatible package, I would need a whole new dish, correct?

I apologize, I'm not at all knowledgeable in this area, so thank you for any recommendations.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
Sorry I started this mess by mis-naming my Genie. Back to the OP's issue: What model receiver do you have in your MH? Do you have a login on directv.com?

Re-read the OP and you will have all the info you need.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
BTW From the old days I have a 18" round SD DTV dish hanging in my garage. Maybe I can repurpose it into something else. Might be great for kids to communicate to space ships. :@ :B

Certainly better than the old string tin can communications!

Might make a cool birdbath.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I started this mess by mis-naming my Genie. Back to the OP's issue: What model receiver do you have in your MH? Do you have a login on directv.com?
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. There are 3 versions of the Genie (1). The Genie 2 is an entirely different animal and deserves a distinguishing designation. There is no Genie 3 or 4.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
So the Genie 2 is the Genie Gen 4? It all sounds like marketing speak!

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:
Genie 3

Product description
This is the third Genie Server model to be released by DIRECTV and it's the best yet! This is the model that will work with 4K UHD broadcasts when DIRECTV starts to send them via satellite.

This model includes a SWM power inserter, reducing the mess behind your TV. It's also faster than older models and has a simplified motherboard. This unit lacks the component and composite outputs but can display that with appropriate breakout cables from its AV port.

This is NOT a Genie 3. The description is of an HR54 (Genie, 3rd Generation). The Genie 2 is nothing at all like the previous 3 generations of Genie's. Genie 2 is the latest hardware and is a server which does not connect to ANY TV.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
STBRetired wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Genie 3? Never heard of such a thing! The Genie 2 is a completely different beast than any previous Genie as it does not connect to a TV and acts as a server. What's a Genie 3?
"My Equipment" listing on directv.com has it as Genie Gen 3. It's a HR54-500. Did I call it the wrong thing?

So, not a Genie 3 but a Genie, 3rd Generation (HR34, 44, 54). The Genie 2 is a stand-alone server that offers NO direct connection to a television. To watch TV you need the Genie 2 PLUS a client at each TV.