cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed a backup camera on the fifth wheel tailgate

RamJamRVing
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Ram 3500. It has the backup camera in the factory tailgate and a camera where the brake light is at the top of the cab. I missed the back up camera while I have the fifth wheel tailgate on when I pull my tandem axle utility trailer. So I purchased a factory camera from ebay for $60 and the necessary wiring harnesses from ebay and a discount Ram dealer. I took a Dremel tool and made a cut large enough to get the camera in the hollow Stromberg Carlson vented tailgate. I drilled two holes for two small bolts to fasten the camera and a larger hole to install the camera through. I then plugged the wiring harness together and pushed it into the hole that I had made on the backside of the tailgate, slid the harness to the drivers side and back to the camera. I plugged it into the connector on the back of the truck bed and tried the camera to make sure I didn't have the camera upside down. I notched out below my original cut to allow the wiring harness to line up with the factory connection and placed the pieces back over the holes and silicone it in with the black E6000 sealer. I can picks to anyone that wants to see the final product. Email me at cowdenj1@yahoo.com and I will send you pics. Total costs were around $150. I could have shortened the wiring harness and spliced the wires but I didn't want to take a chance that a connection may come loose.
2 REPLIES 2

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F350 but I would like to see the picture. Might be doable on the Ford.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome
You can use This Link to post photos
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857