cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Grom on front reciever?

Americamper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone on here hauling a Honda Grom on a front receiver? If so how do you like it? Does it bother your vision?
2000 F250 Superduty 7.3 SB SRW, E rated Michelins, Torklifts, fastguns,2004 Northstar Laredo, , Ducati Hypermotard 1100, KTM 250XC
15 REPLIES 15

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a Yamaha 125 Zuma with the 500 Lb. Versa Haul carrier works great with your 2002 F350 dually & 2005 9-6 Bigfoot using the frame mount Curt front hitch.

Its a lot of fun.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Have carried bikes up front for years on my Duramax, no problems at all. As far as I'm concerned it's the best way. Like mentioned it will block headlights so driving hours will be affected, other than that no problems.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered an Ebike / electric assisted bicycle? There are about 50-60lbs. The new technology is amazing
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
for those that want a more retro look, Honda is now releasing the new Monkey based on the same 125 from the Grom.
https://powersports.honda.com/2019/monkey.aspx

Specs page only list wheelbase, total length though should be about 65" may not interfere with the headlights too much.

Wish it had a retro price tag!!
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Superduty have front hitch attached to factory hooks, so it is on bumper level, meaning pretty high.
I bought Curt hitch for my 2017 F350 and that is mounted under front frame, what is pretty low.
Even my generator platform stick only about 20", it does scratches the driveways on occasions.
Some things worth to consider and add skid plate.

MikeinSA
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're fine. We've carried a TW200 for thousands of miles - I seriously doubt you'll know a Grom is up there. A few things: get a really good carrier. The Harbor Freight ones are pretty flimsy and that's not a place you want something to fail (we've got a VersaHaul), plus the cheap ones can really flex. We have a Ram and they make a low and high hitch for the front. Make sure you're getting the lowest receiver they sell for your Ford. The bike may block your headlights, so it may limit your driving hours. I need to roll my brake lever up when traveling. If we take a good bump the flex was allowing the lever to hit the hood. We've had no trouble with blocking the air flow to the radiator - no noticeable change in engine temp, and we've done long miles in the summer heat of the South. That said, remember you'll be adding about 3' to the front of the truck. It gets to be a pain maneuvering, and you really have to watch your clearance going over dips.
2016 Arctic Fox 811
2016 Ram 3500, Cummins/Aisin, Mega Cab, SB, DRW

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My camper takes weigh off front axle so carrying generator on front helps in handling. Not to degree that I can tell the difference on 15k lb combo, but still.
For years I was carrying 1970 Honda trail on my motorhomes.
It was great for local sightseeing and small grocery shopping.
The thing was like 60lb heavy, so I could lift it on front mount, or later on, folding handlebars allow me to fit it inside bus luggage bay.
The Grom reminds me it a bit, but too big for what I want.
Btw the 45 years old Honda Trail still got me $1200 on resale and sold to first looker.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
for those that want a more retro look, Honda is now releasing the new Monkey based on the same 125 from the Grom.
https://powersports.honda.com/2019/monkey.aspx

Specs page only list wheelbase, total length though should be about 65" may not interfere with the headlights too much.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
It's a mini bike with a maxi price. Too small for me.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
As you are well aware, your diesel is already front heavy ... this takes its toll on ball joints, tires, other steering and suspension components. The good news is the Grom is only 229 lbs. wet and ready to roll ... plus the weight of the carrier. IMHO it's doable ... you may have to help your front suspension ... maybe upgrading/adding a leaf to either side or using Sumo Springs etc. to supplement your stock set-up.

If by chance your truck has the snow plow package, you're ready to go already. If you could "try it" without permanently committing i.e. borrow a carrier and Grom, hook them up and go for a nice long drive over all kinds of roads at all kinds of speeds, then perhaps that's the way to go?
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a lot of weight hanging out there in front of the steer wheels. It will affect handling of your vehicle.

Reminds me of the time back in HS that a friend wanted to do a cheap frot-end lowering on his '57 Chevy. We stuffed a couple of 55 lbs concrete blocks in the space in front of the radiator. The next day I asked him how he liked it and he said he tossed the blocks out to the side of the road halfway home because the car handled so poorly with that extra weight in the front.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
We have put a Drz400 up front...
No issues..
Grom is half thAt size
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be neat if it was also a 3,500 watt generator , why not ?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
What is a Honda Grom?

Don't feel bad, I also never heard of the Honda Grom.
I had to look it up. It looks pretty neat.

HONDA GROM