cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Starting Out

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all, I'm new here and to RVing. Was a moderator on a PC Tech forum that died. Now, I am to old for that. Still have some life left and want to enjoy it. I watched all the Youtube videos I could and never got detailed info. I thought I'd try this forum to get better knowledge of what I got myself into from folks who know. Could not find friendly RV owners locally. If I ask a stupid question, let me know.
My website
My Website
1986/87 E-350 Ford Mobile Traveler
Some Pix of progress
21 REPLIES 21

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna wrote:
I had to abandon my 1987 class C e-350 as chassis parts were not available.

I had a concern like that with our 1992 GM van that we used to tow a tent trailer with. A headlight failed and apparently it was a light used only on GM vans for 2 years. I got lucky at the local Gregg Distributors store, which had two left. Of course I bought them both. The van runs very well but I see it has not many years to go.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few other threads going here, have gotten a lot of helpful advice. I'm whittling down how I will do my RV, will take time and much effort. Still a long way to go, will have more questions as I go.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:

I have an old converter and I lose batteries on a regular basis. I have just lived with it.

For the cost of a couple batteries, you could get a modern multistage converter that would work better (charge more quickly when needed) and also be much gentler on the batteries once charged. PD 9200 and 4600 series units, for instance, range between $150 and $200 at BestConverter, depending on the exact model/capacity.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Great place for rebuilding advice and feedback. I looked at your photos. Ours is a 2003 22 foot Itasca Spirit. I used roof tape on most of the seams up top and on the sides. Also sealed all the openings for lights etc to prevent leaks. Our had overhead leak stains when we bought it but I have not ever seen an active leak. When we lived in AZ and did the taping there was not much rain.
I have an old converter and I lose batteries on a regular basis. I have just lived with it.
We have not been out in our RV since March. It was that kind of year. I read rv.net before I bought and after I joined for several years. I totally enjoy the sharing by people here and their help and opinions. Good Luck!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
It is a learning experience to say the least. These RVs are very compact, I don't require much space. I prefer siting outside drinking a cup of coffee with my feet up. So, I don't need much space. There is still a lot to be done to the truck side of it. I have to install new number 2 fuel tank - have it in box - brakes need bled, built-in Gen needs starter bendix replaced, I have portable Gen. Friends disappear when one needs a second pair of hands. No, kind folks locally that I know of in this area that could point out what I might be doing wrong. This forum, Youtube, and google search have been helpful.

I have worked on multi million dollar buildings, but this project very different. No blue prints here.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Sleepygeek! You have done some work on your rig! It looks homey and comfortable. Enjoy!

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Welcome SleepyGeek! You will soon be a helper, too. This forum is a genuine remnant of the early internet where nearly everyone tried to be helpful. The information here has saved me a lot of money and worry. It is very comfortable to understand how everything works.

"The Hangout" was a forum I helped moderate until it died out around 2012. Computer Tech stuff was most of it. The owners handle was 'Iloco' A good friend of mine. It was global, -google translate- would have been helpful back then.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome SleepyGeek! You will soon be a helper, too. This forum is a genuine remnant of the early internet where nearly everyone tried to be helpful. The information here has saved me a lot of money and worry. It is very comfortable to understand how everything works.

Matt, thanks for the explanation of some RV terminology. Another post like that for brand names used in place of device names would be quite useful - reading Trimetric instead of battery monitor is about as clear as Ford in place of motorhome.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, I walk though the old haunts with google street view once in a while. My Father worked at the old U.S. Steel on 51 st for 30 years. I think it is a Good Will store now. I planned on going to Pgh in my RV this fall, but will have to wait. Thanks for the update on the burgh, I might have gotten lost, ha!
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepygeek, thanks for the update on your childhood in the 'burg. I grew up in Munhall, lived in and out of the city, and now live in the North Hills. My Uncle lived right behind the old St. Francis Hospital in a duplex.

Things have changed a lot in Lawrenceville, it is now the up and coming part of the city. Putting in Condos where the Arsenal used to be (and finding old shells while digging), tore down St. Francis and built a new Children's Hospital, and moved St. Margaret's to the Water Works in the Aspinwall area.

Good luck with your RV and safe travels.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I had to abandon my 1987 class C e-350 as chassis parts were not available.

I'd recommend replacing the "converter" that charges the batteries--or upgrading to a good quality inverter/charger. The old converters love to "eat" batteries.

If you wish to be off the grid, look into solar panels. This site may be a good place to start: https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
Hello PghBob : You might have been my neighbor at one time. I grew up in PGH, Lawrenceville, 44th street, across from Holy Family School and Church thru the 50s=60S. Until age 14, when the family moved south.

I thank you for your advice. I already bought a class c RV back in July, thought 6 months of research would be plenty. Should have look into this forum a lot sooner. Living on the edge is my way, I do not conform to what society thinks is right. Now that I'm old, different story.

I have in my signature area a link to a website I have been working on to document this adventure. There is a video page with a walk around of the RV I bought and a vid of the reasoning of my purchase. Some pix too. I like looking like a hillbilly once in while. But, I am stuck with my purchase and will make the best of it. I have to put a "share folder" of pix I took of repairs and rebuilding areas. ( Disclaimer : I am not trying to promote my website. ) Just to keep it documented.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepygeek, don't ever be afraid to ask a question on this forum. Most of the answers are useful, some are biased to a particular manufacturer or type of RV. You will quickly learn to sort through the replies.

Since you self-reported as new to RVing, one thought to consider is to attend a large RV show so that you can take your time checking out the various vendors, types of RVs, and floor plans. The largest RV show in the country is in Hershey PA in mid-September. Don't take your check book! Think about how you will use the RV most of the time and use that as your guide to type and floor plan.

Consider chassis. Do you like the Sprinter type, a Ford type (most Class Cs), or a Chevy chassis? Do you want/need a four wheel drive chassis? Do you prefer a rubber roof, fiberglass, aluminum, or other type?

Do you plan to be at campgrounds with services or do you plan to mostly boondock? If you boondock, do you need to upgrade your electrical systems for increased coach batteries, solar systems, and electrical management systems? You should consider the sizes of your fresh water, blank tank, and gray tank if boondocking. Lots to consider. But you are doing the right thing by asking questions instead of just buying a "cream puff" that catches your eyes.

Finally, once you decide on a type of RV, consider renting one for a week or so, and try it out. Do you like driving it? Practice using all appliances and the generator. Practice backing in to campsites. Practice hooking up, leveling, dumping, and unhooking.

Good luck and best wishes for success with your search.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Read the thread above about virtues of short 22-24 foot vs 26-27 footers. 26-27 footers have rear bedrooms and more storage area than shorter rigs. Short rigs are not as plentiful as longer rigs. Newbies are liable to be leery of driving and parking longer rigs. They will fit into most campsites. Younger, nimble, physically fit folks may prefer a short rig for driving dirt roads and camping in primitive areas. Don't buy too small only to wish you had bought a longer rig after a few trips. Most class C's have the same brands of appliances, generators and furnaces and air conditioners. A few brands like Lazy Daze have better interior cabinetry, etc. Take your time and don't buy on impulse!!! Take all advice with a grain of salt. Get all promises by salesmen in writing on the purchase order/contract. Expect dealer's service department to take their time fixing factory defects on new motorhomes. Don't buy extended warranty unless you have read it carefully and are aware of loopholes and exceptions.
Be aware of total cost of ownership including maintenance, insurance, DMV campsite costs and RV storage if needed.