Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Reese Dual Cam HP frame brackets
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Reese Dual Cam HP frame brackets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordered a new set and it’s new stock. Install instructions are revT 2017.

This kit has the rivenuts in it. Holding the frame brackets onto my frame and they do not appear to bent to the full 90 (I have radius corners). Seems like 88 degrees.

I’m worried that if I bolt the brackets in and torque to 75 pounds they will pull the brackets off the bottom of the frame slightly. They are supposed to be flat to the bottom.

Then I was thinking they did this because of the rivenuts head thinkness?

What’s the groups thoughts?

2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had a these installed on a new trailer and they are torqued to 75 lbs. I would follow the instructions from Reese. If not comfortable call Reese tech support.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/18 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CaLBaR wrote:

Just had a these installed on a new trailer and they are torqued to 75 lbs. I would follow the instructions from Reese. If not comfortable call Reese tech support.

The question was not about the bolt torque. It’s about the brackets not being 90 and the requirement that they sit flat on the bottom of the frame.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/18 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Answer is still the same. Reese tech support would be the best place to call and ask about it. They know more about their product than most people on a forum. Just my 2 cents.

* This post was edited 10/19/18 05:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about the cam arm brackets or snap-up brackets? Have some pics?

When I got our Reese DC package, the cam arm brackets were poorly formed as in the pic below. I called Reese and explained the issue. They supposedly had a bad run of them for a while.

The radius on the brackets does not match the standard radius corners on A-frame tubing. I cut a piece of 1/4" steel to match the bracket dimensions and then ground a radius along one edge to match the bracket.

When I got our WDH, it came with forming screws. These can loosen over time when tongue weight gets up to around 1000 - 1200 lbs. This happened in the first season on ours with around 950 lbs TW. I "through-bolted" the brackets on and used a piece of pipe with backing plates temporarily threaded onto the ends and pushed the pipe into the ends of the A-frame tubing. I torqued the bolts to 75 lbs-ft (IIRC). This has worked great for 4 or 5 seasons now. Not sure how well the rivnuts work over time but I'm not so sure I like the way they protrude outwards from the A-frame. You could probably counter-sink them into a piece of steel?

BTW, be very careful that you drill holes in the A-frame in the exact correct location. What I discovered is that the cam arm brackets need to be mounted in slightly different locations (measured from coupler) because different bar ratings can be different lengths and the threads on the cam arms cannot make up the difference.

A similar thing could be done with the snap-up bracket bolts. Reese has heavy duty brackets with an extra hole in them for a bolt to help keep it in place. I have seen photos of these brackets pulling away from the A-frame but was on very high tongue weights.

[image][image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cam brackets. I do have the one with the welded inside 90 like the right hand one in your photo.
My consern is with the bent 90. It’s not at 90 it’s about 88. So with the cam brackets flat on the bottom of the frame and the welded 90 flat to the inside of the frame the bent 90 on the outside is about an 1/8” out at the top compared to the bottom.

The rivenuts would be proud of the hole and would require the bracket to match in my mind.

If I bolt it up it will pull the bottom of the brackets off the bottom of the frame by about 1/8” on the inside of the frame.

I’m going to call Reese and see what they say before I drill anything.

HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/18 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a quick call and the spec on the bend is 90 +/- 2
My eyes tell me mine are at 88 and that’s in spec. And yes it might pull the cam brackets off the bottom of the frame when torqued using the mounting bolts.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/18 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad Reese could help you and all seems OK.

HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well to update this I’m having an issue with my cam arms. They are not square to the frame and only have a ware pattern on the inside edge of the cam and the spring bar. After about 2000 miles the spring bar still has paint on the outside 1/2 edge of the V.

So it appears my initial concern was valid. I forgot to get some pictures.
This the 17K Reese Titan straight line and my actual tongue tongue weight is1680 lbs.

HouseApe

Vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread shows the issue I have straight out the box!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Reese Dual Cam HP frame brackets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.