cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel Trailers with a rear bed slide... Leaks? Issues?

Zoodles95
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

New member here and relatively new to the RV lifestyle. Our present RV (and first RV) is a 2010 Jayco 17C which is a small hybrid. It has been a good entry into this hobby but there are some limitations to this trailer which has frustrated me.
***Link Removed***

Our driveway is where we keep the trailer from May until the end of October. It is winterized now and I am probably going to take it to its hibernation home next weekend. The driveway can keep a 24 ft trailer max. So, a hybrid made sense. Heck, we could keep a 21 ft Rockwood hybrid without an issue.

We have been discussing a larger hybrid as an option to some of the limitations of the smaller footprint of our little Jayco. I have a co worker with a 2014 Kodiac 186E hybrid which is in great shape which he wants to sell. It is tempting but I think my wife and I need to consider a more typical travel trailer. I live in Ontario, Canada and camping in May and October would be a lot more comfortable in a travel trailer instead of a hybrid.

So, a 22' to 24' solid trailer would work. I am looking at ones with a bunkhouse since it would give us a third bed for when my autistic brother in law camps with us. It also gives us a spot to put our French Bulldog's crate for when she is sleeping. The bunkhouse can also seem to work as storage space as well.

So, in my search I happened across the Starcraft Launch 19BHS and I could no get over how large it was for its size once the rear bed was out. I thought to myself that this was sort of like an extension of the advantages of a hybrid. Smaller trailer to tow and fit in my driveway; but with a nice large footprint when parked. However, unlike my hybrid the main bed would still be "solid". I have found two trailers that have floorplans I like:
-Jayco Feather X213
-Grey Wolf 19SM

I know a guy who works at an RV dealer as a tech. He cautioned me against a trailer with a rear bed slide saying that they leak excessively. I thought I would register and post here to see if this is true, was true, is only true if the slide is not properly maintained etc.

If these are indeed decently reliable then great I can keep pursuing this as a possible option.

If not reliable then I need to keep looking at smaller bunkhouse trailers. Ideally I would go tandem axle to have the higher load rating and the extra set of brakes and tires for a margin of safety. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman with the Hemi and 392 gears. The tow rating is upwards of 10000lbs with a conventional hitch so a trailer under 5000 lbs should be fine.

My other models I have been considering are:
-Jayco 20BH
-Northern Spirit 2342BH
-Rockwood 2306
-Microlite 23LB
-Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL
-Apex 208BHS

If there are other trailers that fit the bill I would love to hear your recommendations or suggestions.

If some are wondering what limitations have been frustrating me with our Jayco. Some of them are:

-25 gal fresh water. Our Provincial Parks only offer electrical service so I need to fill 6 Gal jugs up and refill the trailer. My coworker's Kodiac he is selling has a 52 Gal fresh tank. That would make a significant difference to my trips at Provincial Parks.

-Surge braking system is annoying and unpredictable. I have the factory brake controller in my truck so it would be nice to get a trailer with a proper electrical brake system I can control.

-Rear dinette is a pain to work with. I end up usually putting the table outside with a table cloth on it and then use one or two tv trays instead.

-The counter space is severely limited. I installed a stove cover which helps because I can put the drying rack on top of it. Even my co worker's hybrid would be so much more functional. It has counter space to the left of its sink where a coffee maker could go and it has a double sink so I could use the right sink for the drying rack and then I could have access to the stove all the time. Hmmm...

So, I could go for a larger hybrid, a travel trailer with a rear slide, or a travel trailer with bunks.

Opinions?
22 REPLIES 22

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
shum02 wrote:
Refering to a KZ rear slide they are supported on the camper frame NOT the ceiling, ceiling are only for guiding the slide.

Back a hundred years ago when I was ready to move from our hybrid to a travel trailer I became really interested in a K-Z Spree 210KS rear glide model. Research though turned up quite a few complaints from K-Z Spree rear glide owners who had problems with those tracks ripping out of the ceiling when the trailer was being towed. IIRC K-Z's solution was to offer an option bed support that would slip under the bed platform when it was in the travel mode and hopefully avoid ceiling track failure. I took note and bought a triple bunk bed K-Z Spree 240BH-LX instead. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I knew this mod when we bought. Also unless supported you can not use the bed in travel position, that's in the manual. When out it will support over 1200lbs and you can if you want hang bikes off the super structure it's that strong. My bikes are a little expensive to ride outside so they ride in the truck or the camper depending on if DD is coming.

It's been an ok rig but if I did it again we'd have had a TT with walk around bed but it wasn't up to me ๐Ÿ˜‰ You know, happy wife happy life............but I do rub it in once in a while :B When DD finishes college we'll be looking again.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
Refering to a KZ rear slide they are supported on the camper frame NOT the ceiling, ceiling are only for guiding the slide.

Back a hundred years ago when I was ready to move from our hybrid to a travel trailer I became really interested in a K-Z Spree 210KS rear glide model. Research though turned up quite a few complaints from K-Z Spree rear glide owners who had problems with those tracks ripping out of the ceiling when the trailer was being towed. IIRC K-Z's solution was to offer an option bed support that would slip under the bed platform when it was in the travel mode and hopefully avoid ceiling track failure. I took note and bought a triple bunk bed K-Z Spree 240BH-LX instead. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL has the Jayco X213 rear slide (2011) and has never had even a trace of leaks in hers. She did have the slide motor get very weak and was replaced under warranty. Been a good rig for them thus far with the normal maintenance items and wear items that all rv's face.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

joeyg
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
If I remember correctly a member had a KZ with a rear slide that he had to rebuild the back of the trailer due to a water leak. The other issue I've heard of is the slides can be hot or cold because of lack of insulation in slide. I would goggle water leak rear slide for whatever make and model your looking at. Don't have any personal experience with them. Maybe some owners will chime in with more information.

Yeah... that was me. I've had the Camper for 5 years since with no further issues. When I set up, I set the back a hair lower than the front so the water runs off.

Just Upgraded to a Keystone 3320BHS, Now I have 2 campers!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to think about WRT a rear slide that housed a bed. Many times those mattresses fold when the slide is in. Which is fine, as long as you can actually sleep on the OEM mattress. Most OEM mattresses are horrible to sleep on. And a lot of people replace the OEM mattress for a better one.

If the mattress folds in order for the slide to come in, you can't get an after market mattress.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
trsky wrote:
What's the difference between a rear bed slide and a side dinette slide, kitchen slide or other slide.

Big difference. Side slides are powered but any rear glide I've seen has been manual. A rear glide extends out much further than any side slide and slide toppers aren't made for rear glides as they are for side slides. Rear glides are suspended and supported from the trailer ceiling, side slides aren't.

Refering to a KZ rear slide they are supported on the camper frame NOT the ceiling, ceiling are only for guiding the slide. Re the powered or not KZ had an option on theirs for power slide or manual. Mine is not powered but even if it was it is operational both ways. I can only comment on KZ rear slides and others have come up to me in parks and wished their's was as well put together.

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of different slide mechanisms but the the way they seal to keep out rain is the same. My rear and side slides have the same rubber seals to keep out water. Also you need to clean off any slide before bringing it in. They all catch leaves, sticks .....As was noted its personal preference to have a slide or not but I wouldn't be afraid of getting one.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
trsky wrote:
What's the difference between a rear bed slide and a side dinette slide, kitchen slide or other slide.

Big difference. Side slides are powered but any rear glide I've seen has been manual. A rear glide extends out much further than any side slide and slide toppers aren't made for rear glides as they are for side slides. Rear glides are suspended and supported from the trailer ceiling, side slides aren't.

trsky wrote:
See how many people have leaks and no slide.

And see how many that do. ๐Ÿ˜ž

All of which is easy to avoid entirely - no slide(s), no glide - a personal choice. ๐Ÿ˜›

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a KZ with a rear slide and have not had any issues. There are many TTs with slides. What's the difference between a rear bed slide and a side dinette slide, kitchen slide or other slide. I see huge RVs with all types and sizes of slides sticking of them all the time. all RVs can have issues. See how many people have leaks and no slide. Just keep up on maintenance.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Zoodles95 wrote:
With respect to your other point; I need to research those tank with pump options. That would be a nice option which would totally alleviate my water issues.

The problem with using a single large tank for collecting fresh water is having to haul it in & out of the truck for a camping trip and where to store it at home when not in use. I instead use a set of 7 gal Aquatainers which weigh nothing when empty and simply hang on my garage wall when we're not camping. K.I.S.S.

I agree about using one of those big bladders, who the heck want to drive around with 400lbs of water in the bed of your truck when you may not need it all. I only use 6 of the aquatainers(30 gallons) and they hang out in the KZ's bathroom tub/shower. Seems silly to pull them out every trip when I use them every trip.

Regarding filling the KZ's FW tank I use a small 12VDC bilge pump I got from Princess Auto for $10. Can empty a 20L aquatainer in just a few minutes. Ezee Peeze.

Regarding sweeping off the slide(s). I carry a extendable handle sweeper and squeegee for the awning so cleaning off the slide is a no brainer, can climb right up on my slide's supports and do it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Zoodles95 wrote:
With respect to your other point; I need to research those tank with pump options. That would be a nice option which would totally alleviate my water issues.

The problem with using a single large tank for collecting fresh water is having to haul it in & out of the truck for a camping trip and where to store it at home when not in use. I instead use a set of 7 gal Aquatainers which weigh nothing when empty and simply hang on my garage wall when we're not camping. K.I.S.S.

Zoodles95
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Zoodles95 wrote:
-25 gal fresh water. Our Provincial Parks only offer electrical service so I need to fill 6 Gal jugs up and refill the trailer.
That's the hard way. There are many sources of tanks you can put in the bed and rig up a pump/battery to refill.

Thanks for the input about the bunk sizes. That is something I need to consider. I really like Forest River variations (2306, 23LB, Salem 201BHXL) but they all seem to be 26" wide. The Jayco 20BH has 39" width bunks which is a considerable difference. The Northern Spirit 2342BH also has larger bunks which is nice. I just need to recheck the length of our driveway. I can get a 23 ft trailer in with room to spare.

Zoodles95
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
I have a rear queeen slide KZ and in the ten years I've had it camping in all weather it has not leaked. I also do not consider it cold back there but do use matress pad heaters when the temps drop below freezing.

All things equal I'd would if I did it again bypass this option and just go straight to a TT with walk around bed.

The unit has been decent but I've never been over the moon about it. When pushed back into the rig that whole area is not accessable including getting to the witerizing valve on the water heater, no access to the sofa or dinnette while on the road either which has proven to be a real PITA. I knew all this before purchasing but got it because DW was sold on the part where it fit in the driveway.

Thanks for this input. I had not considered the aspect of winterizing or accessing stuff in my driveway. That is something I need to consider; also the input from another poster about having to clear off the top of the slide before putting it in.

Zoodles95
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Zoodles95 wrote:
Since nobody has replied yet ...

You post at 1 in the morning then complain just 90 minutes later that no one has replied to your query about rear glide trailers which these days are a rarity? Seriously? :R

I too camp here in Ontario and IMO you're way over complicating the issue - if you can fit a travel trailer on your driveway then that's your best solution for the greatest comfort in the widest range of weather conditions. No trailers with tenting, no rear glides which though it may not leak will certainly be colder than a fully enclosed travel trailer with an island bed. Rear bed glides used to be the rage back in the mid-2000s but have pretty well gone the way of the dodo bird, with the Jayco X213 being a rare exception. K-Z which used to offer several rear glide models dropped them entirely and although there may be a few other examples they're certainly not popular with most buyers. As for FW tank size it'll never be large enough anyway so I don't see the issue retrieving more at the dump station as you need it, especially when you also have to dispose of grey water at the same place anyway. I carry a set of 7 gal Aquatainers in the back of the truck and usually make a trip over to the dump station early each morning when no one else is around to get rid of the grey and resupply with fresh. Back at campsite I simply transfer the fresh to the trailer's holding tank with a pump - simple. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the tips. I did not mean to come off as complaining about no responses. I thought I would add more detail to my situation so as to facilitate better responses.

I have learned to do the mid week dump run thanks to the tote n store I got this year. With a 50 gal capacity though I could go a weekend without having to add anymore water to the trailer. 25 gal goes pretty fast.