cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First trip in the Motor Home to Hershey

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
We left early in the morning 6 AM and the headlights are very poor. Its a Winnebago 2004 Class A 28 foot. Chevy 454. I got to do something about the headlights. Not sure what to do. Have any of you had this problem?
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
14 REPLIES 14

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gundog wrote:
Our first trip in our new to us coach was this last weekend a 2005 lights were not very bright on low beam but very bright on high beam. My lenses are starting to become somewhat not clear so I am going to try to clean them with something I washed them before I left with soap. I will check voltage also.

The headlights are from a BMW E36 (3series).

You can get brand new ones on EBay for $90 delivered. No blinkers. Still plastic. But new.

For $170, you can get Euro glass replacements projector units which are WAY brighter
BUT they are not direct replacements, being deeper. You would have to modify the brackets. Do able, but I didnโ€™t want to mess with it.

They fit my BILs M3 perfectly.
I donโ€™t drive at night.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trip in our new to us coach was this last weekend a 2005 lights were not very bright on low beam but very bright on high beam. My lenses are starting to become somewhat not clear so I am going to try to clean them with something I washed them before I left with soap. I will check voltage also.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
We left early in the morning 6 AM and the headlights are very poor. Its a Winnebago 2004 Class A 28 foot. Chevy 454. I got to do something about the headlights. Not sure what to do. Have any of you had this problem?

If Lights are good could just be the Eyes.....?

Just a thought,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Get halogen bulbs.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
They are clear no fog. I also have a 2004 S 10 Chevy truck and the same type light and they are not great also. Now my 2006 Dodge diesel has very nice headlights to drive by. My eyes are not as good as they use to be when I was young.

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
They are clear no fog. I also have a 2004 S 10 Chevy truck and the same type light and they are not great also. Now my 2006 Dodge diesel has very nice headlights to drive by. My eyes are not as good as they use to be when I was young.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
I did the home grown polish on my headlights but wasn't happy with the results, bought a kit at Walmart and it did a much better job on my 2000 Tiffin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Are the lenses over the headlights clear or foggy. If foggy, check YouTube videos for several home grown ways to clear them up.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If you need details on doing the "relay thing", let us know.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of the above are excellent suggestions. Better wiring especially as these are just slapped together. That said, motor homes are not supposed to be driven at night...:) ... Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely, start with the suggestions in the last two posts. No bulb will give adequate light if it gets less than battery voltage. If a full volt less than at the battery, no question, it will not be adequate.

Installing relays (with fuse) is an inexpensive fix.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
As stated above check the voltage at the headlights. If low the best route to take is rewire the headlights through a relay and fuse/circuit breaker directly to the battery. Did it to my 95 Brave and headlights are bright again. Use larger gauge wire to the headlights also.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Check the voltage at the headlights.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well. I'm thinking new head lights. Maybe you can retrofit HID or a more bright modern version. If the headlight covers are oxidized there are products to clean that up.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.