cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C mod

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
This is a shot in the dark but I’m thinking of ‘gutting’ a 5000 btu unit and remounting it into a rooftop frame. Anybody ever tried it?
16 REPLIES 16

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I love doing outside the box things. I have an 11k roof air that is too loud, OK on real hot, humid FL days and too big at night to keep the humidity down.

I wanted to run my old Toyota Rv on a 2000 watt Honda. Doing some websearching I came to the conclusion that an 8k window unit would serve my purpose.

I purchased an 8k LG window AC w/remote and duct taped and bailing wired it to the Toy and found in direct sun on high 90's Florida days with high humidity it was just sufficient and worked well on the Honda.

Next was a donor roof ac for the base and shell, not an easy find, believe it or not.

I started to convert the window AC to the roof air and ran into some issues, really needed a sheet metal brake and did not give myself enough time, plus the LG was probably not the right choice for this project.

I was running out of time to get ready for a 3 month trip, so put the AC back together and put it in the bathroom window. Not pleasing to the eye but I would rather be cool than look cool.

I have used the 8k with the Honda 2000 for 2 long term trips and several short ones. It works very well, nice and quiet, easy on gas.

I still have the parts I need to convert it and will get back on it someday, just not today!

Keep us posted on how you do.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

EDIT : I found one 5,000 BTU window unit that only require 11.5A to run (no start up spec). You could probably have TWO of them on an RV with a 30A power cord assuming they both do NOT start up at the same time.

11.5A (running) for a 5000 BTU/hr air conditioner is horrible; I think that would be the starting (peak) current specification, or else it is for a much larger unit, or something.

The EER (energy efficiency rating) of an air conditioner is defined as cooling (in BTUs) divided by power consumed (in watts). An EER of 11 ish is typical these days for 5000 BTU window air conditioners. That works out to around 4A running. A quick check of specifications online for one or two verifies that this is approximately typical.

SEER is the seasonal energy efficiency rating, and is the EER averaged over a defined set of conditions (inside and outside temperatures, etc.) that is supposed to simulate a cooling season. The actual energy efficiency varies depending on things like the temperature differential between the hot and cold sides, hence the need for something like SEER.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Good, modern window A/C are much more efficient than RV units. Less power consumed means a large units (more BTUs/cooling) for the same amount of current.

I have wonder the same thing as the OP and there are a couple of issues.

• Extending the controls from the front panel to inside. This might not be an issues any more because it seems like they all have remote control.
• Mounting the unit inside of a well insulated, waterproof housing

EDIT : I found one 5,000 BTU window unit that only require 11.5A to run (no start up spec). You could probably have TWO of them on an RV with a 30A power cord assuming they both do NOT start up at the same time.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
someone better check prices for RV A/C
closer to $800 than $350

his might be dead, might have a spare $99 window unit, might want to cool only the bedroom, might be trying to save on electric on a limited shore connection

found one for $450. according to my abacus, it's closer to $350. 🙂
bumpy

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks itsyrv
I have seen those but didn’t notice the window vents. I’ll take a closer look.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered one of those small "portable" air conditioner units? They can be bought for under $300 with window vent kits included. The BTU are between 6,000 to 7,500 and use about 9 amps only at full startup load so any decent inverter or generator would power it. Simple, clean and versatile.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
closer to $800 than $350

, might want to cool only the bedroom, might be trying to save on electric on a limited shore connection

Thanks mrwizard. It’s good to see there is still reason and common sense on this forum. I just want to cool the bedroom enough to get the temps bumped down a little after driving. Sometimes it takes too long at night for the outside ambient temperature to cool it enough to sleep in. It also needs to be a small enough amp draw that it can be used with a small gen and preferably supported by solar. I only have one small window in the bedroom, on the curb side, that I could install a/c and I don’t think it’s smart to ride
down the road with it sticking out. The front is rounded and there are cabinets over the bed so it would require the unit to be about 8 inches over the bed. That doesn’t seem practical. I’m looking at dc powered units but placement is still an issue. So, if someone that is reasonable has enough common sense to offer a better idea I’m all in.

MrWizard
closer to $800 than $350

his might be dead, might have a spare $99 window unit, might want to cool only the bedroom, might be trying to save on electric on a limited shore connection
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just want to see how this ends
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Not sure how that would work without a lot of work ... and if your talented enough to make that work why not spend $350 and install a legit rv air conditioner?

Please read the Terms Of Service. using reason and common sense are not permitted in this forum.
bumpy

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how that would work without a lot of work ... and if your talented enough to make that work why not spend $350 and install a legit rv air conditioner?
Kevin

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see what kind of RV, but 5000 BTU's is not going to do much good for anything much more than a truck camper.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
professor95

did this 10 years ago to his fiver

he took the window A/C guts out of its case,(no breaks in wiring or tubing,,must be done carefully) and installed it inside the box/pan of an old roof top unit, that was non-functional
he gutted the old roof top unit to install the new smaller A/C parts

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21943313/print/true.cfm
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think Jed Clampett did this.
bumpy