cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow master tow dolly, ratchets are bad design- OPtions?

oldschoolhdmike
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 2019 master tow dolly. the ratchets are mounted to a bracket that is fixed on a round rail. it slides back and forth along the rail. my issue is, the ratchets will not release, because it hits my cars bumper. i physically have to remove the bolts to get it undone. I have tried to turn the ratchets around but it does not work either because the when tension gets tight the ratchet moves rotates toward the tire and will not let me. This is a horrible design and maybe cars without such a low bumper do not have issues but i need to find out something else.....
8 REPLIES 8

freddmc
Explorer
Explorer
My tow dolly is similar and I had the same problem when trying to tie down my Mini. The car is so short that the bumper interferes with the ratchet.So I welded a 1 foot piece of 2x2 square tubing to the front of the platform to prevent the ratchet from rotating upwards.The extra tube prevents the ratchet from rotating past horizontal. If you want me to text a picture of it I can do that.

Regards

Fred

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I used a large screw driver to pry the release open when towing our old Honda Accord.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the next to last post here.
MarvinClicky
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will have better luck with your question in the Dinghy Towing forum. I will move it there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you have a picture of the issue you could post?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have one of those. Use a small pry bar to release the ratchet. Not difficult to do and way easier than unbolting the bracket. I believe Master Tow suggests that in the owner's manual.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

angler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Johnson trailer car dolly which looks just like the master tow dolly. I pull an Nissan Altima. It uses a wrench to tighten down the straps instead of the handle. Barely clears the dolly with the front facia, but not a problem with removing or tightening straps. Not sure if not having the handles on the ratchets would help
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy it if it didn't work, there are many choices to pick from, make sure you get one that works for you.