cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV permit question, going my way?

Ronjoez
Explorer
Explorer
I returned my RV permit last year as I was buying a new RV and now need to buy another permit. I have my receipt in case Customs gives me a problem. I think I bought a RV permit years ago at the Douglas, Arizona crossing. Can I still buy a permit there?
BTW, did they move the concrete barriers coming back into the US at Nogales so we can get a RV through. It is horrendous trying to cross at Nogales and I dread having to do it.
Think I read somewhere I can take a 50cc scooter into Mexico and don’t need a permit. I have South Dakota plates/registration and the title. I will go to the consulate in Tucson to find out but does anyone know anything about this? I used to have a bike but had to give it up and buy a scooter to get around. Can't lift my leg to swing it over the bike seat so had to buy something I could just step on and off without a problem. Getting old is not for sissies.
Also, I will be taking the coastal highway down to Chapala sometime in November, anyone going my way? I built a place for my RV there back in 2007 but will have to sell it this year as the drive is more difficult every year.
I read this forum and the Chapala web forum and seems to be conflicting information as to the condition of the cuota, 15D. What’s the latest? Thanks for your help, Ron
29 REPLIES 29

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that is why they have to charge 20% interest. I have set up alerts so they send me an email if a charge over $25 is made. normally I check my mail several tiems a day, but on the road it can be be a day between checks.

Talleyho69
After having it happen to us several times, I had a long talk with our credit card issuer. They claimed it had nothing to do with where it was used, on line or in real time, it is done by computer generation.

Always pays to carry several. Good Luck!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
My last trip to Mexico in March of this year 3 of my 4 credit cards were shut off before I reached Texas. In all cases I notified the card companies that I would be traveling in (and to) Mexico.
Credit card fraud and payment defaults have created an atmosphere where cards are getting to be very unreliable.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting just north of the border right now. 2 of my credit cards have been hacked, god knows how, I have them in one of those scan proof wallets. Just what I need when I am headed into a country it will be tough to get sent replacements.

Talleyho69
Thanks Paul, you're the bomb!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Looking.......

OK, here is where to do it:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registro-vehiculos/#

A couple of tips: English translation is available at the top right corner, delivery is very fast to the location you specify, and to scan, simply upload your digital photos of the required paperwork. No need for a scanner or to go out to find one.

Tequila did a great tutorial, and I can't find it in the archives this evening. I'll find it manana and post it in this response.

Future questions? Please just ask. Moderator

Here it is

http://mexicocaravans.com/permits/onlineapplication.pdf

Talleyho69
Looking.......

OK, here is where to do it:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registro-vehiculos/#

A couple of tips: English translation is available at the top right corner, delivery is very fast to the location you specify, and to scan, simply upload your digital photos of the required paperwork. No need for a scanner or to go out to find one.

Tequila did a great tutorial, and I can't find it in the archives this evening. I'll find it manana and post it in this response.

Future questions? Please just ask. Moderator

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho

Help I searched multiple times and variations for the guide to an online permit and nothing came up. We will be in east and cross at Mission with a truck camper so we need to get it on line. B I can go to the Banercito website and try to work my way thru it. Suggestions.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you sir.

I gave detailed instructions for entering Mexico at garita 2 at Tijuana San Ysidro.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I have from 2 different people. It is actually super easy. We crossed with our 42 ft. Dynasty towing a full size Silverado. The streets are very wide. I couldn't find it as my favorite computer crashed last summer. But finally found it in an email I sent to another Rv'r. I have stated this before: Do not believe those that say the barriers have been removed. In another forum someone posted that 8 barriers had been removed. I cam through there in my truck in June and it was the same as always. Maybe 1 or 2 barriers removed. The problem is the lanes are divided by barriers at the far right. No way a large MH can make that tight swing. You will see paint on those barriers. Once you commit to the normal way of crossing what do you do if your unit will not fit. You cannot back up with all the traffic. I could see a heart attack coming real quick. The route that I am posting seems to be the same as yours. The lanes are wide and the traffic is not that bad.

Moisheh

1 person sent me this

Just follow the signs to Nogales centro just after airport. Follow that main thoroughfare past Unison and toward “USA” signs. After several intersections where left turns are made from RIGHT two lanes (you stay in left lanes), watch for intersection near bottom of hill that indicates USA Mariposa, and turn left from LEFT lanes. Just follow that to Mariposa gate.

2. This is better

As you approach Nogalas, you need to exit the toll road and stay on 15 towards central Nogales. You will pass the airport (on your left) and enter congestion near the UVM campus. As you pass the UVM campus or enter the congestion of the city, stay in the left two lanes. I would stay in the leftmost lane and just poke along. You will go through three traffic lights (I think) which are unique because the third lane from the center is actually the lane that stops for a left hand or U turn. This is why you want to stay in the left lane.

The fourth traffic light is for Bulevar Luis Donaldo Colosio. You want to turn left onto this road. If you are in the left lane approaching the light, your lane becomes a left turn lane. This road will take you up a hill past Home Depot (left side) and Walmart (right side). Lanes on this road wander a little so again I would just poke along in the left lane or 2nd lane. You will be on this road for 2.8 mi. Your last big intersection is Calle Reforma on the right. At this intersection shift to the right lane because you will exit to the border crossing in about 600 ft. Stay to the right and you will be in the bus lane for crossing.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
how does this look Moisheh?

https://www.mexicorvbuddies.com/roadlogs/NogalesAlternate.pdf

Have an airstream caravan exiting there in March, Hate to see any damaged

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Tequila: I will have to look for the detailed instructions. You take the airport exit from the toll road. It is confusing but this is the old truck route. You are actually turning to your right and headed to downtown Nogales. Keep near the left and look for the street Colosio. Turn left you will pass a Home depot, Michelin store and more.If you miss this turn you would be headed to the downtown crossing. Never take that route! From there you just keep going until you get to the border. It is marked. You will have to make a right turn. I should have the detailed instructions by the weekend.

Moisheh

Thanks from that I can probably figure from google street view even

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila: I will have to look for the detailed instructions. You take the airport exit from the toll road. It is confusing but this is the old truck route. You are actually turning to your right and headed to downtown Nogales. Keep near the left and look for the street Colosio. Turn left you will pass a Home depot, Michelin store and more.If you miss this turn you would be headed to the downtown crossing. Never take that route! From there you just keep going until you get to the border. It is marked. You will have to make a right turn. I should have the detailed instructions by the weekend.

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Ron: NO NO NO. You do not use the downtown crossing. The route to avoid the barriers is the same route all the Mexican buses use. Once you leave the last toll booth you simply head towards downtown. BUT there is a road before the downtown crossing that takes you to the truck crossing only you will be on the right side of the barriers. No narrow roads. part of this route is a divided road. The rest is a major street. Trucks and buses use those streets. We have had our 42 ft. Dynasty towing a full size Silverado use that route. I think I posted the route some time in the spring.

Moisheh

Could you post it again?