cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand Questions and 5er Choices

irollman
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm looking at replacing my Class A with a 5er. I've pretty much made the decision TO do it, the only remaining is with what and when. I live in it full time, but don't move it much - the last time I moved my Class A was a year ago. So I'm paying for something that has a lot of things that need maintenance and can break (engine, trans, etc.). I'm looking for a 5er with a good full-time living plan and storage. (I had a 5er before and it was more livable than my current coach.)

I went to a Camping World, and to a local place in PA (Tom Schaeffer's). I found two 5er plan "types" I Like. One is a raised rear living room with a shelf that pulls out from behind with a bunch of storage (Grand Design Solitude 375RES, or Keystone Montana 3791RD).

The other plan is a raised rear-bedroom with a small garage under the bed (Grand Design Solitude 374TH, also related but I don't like as much, Raptor 427). The good thing about this plan is if I decide to get a motorcycle in the future, it would accommodate it. The bad part about this plan is it gives me the option of getting a motorcycle......

Comparing the Montana to the Solitude, what are your opinions of quality? Which is better? Anything else I should look at? Remember, storage is important, but I don't want a traditional toy-hauler where the garage takes up living space.

My current location is Augusta GA area, where I'd like to make the purchase (within a reasonable distance), if it makes a difference.

I'll be getting a truck to match the 5er, already started a thread about that (thanks for all the great info there!). So consider the tow vehicle a non-issue. (Leaning towards a RAM 3500 Megacab DRW.)

Thanks!!!
27 REPLIES 27

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking for a legacy model...

why would the quality of a package be better than the same model without the package?

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Legacy Pkg is :
Shorelineยฎ Low Profile Power Cord Reel (N/A 3130RE) - LEGACY PACKAGE
Wireless Rear View Camera with in Vehicle Mobile Display - LEGACY PACKAGE
Keystone In-Command Control System - LEGACY PACKAGE
Solid Hardwood Cabinet Framing - LEGACY PACKAGE
Rear fiberglass cap with automotive paint and 2 layers of clear coat (N/A 3700, 3701, 3790, 3791) - LEGACY PACKAGE
Day and night roller shades in living area (night roller shades in bedroom and hallway) - LEGACY PACKAGE
philh wrote:
I didn't see a "legacy" on Montana's site.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats irollman on your decision! That's a nice looking "camper" there! I hope you have many, many, many years of happiness with it.

Images here.

You will absolutely love that rear living room with opposing slides and windows all around! Our Outback TT was like that and it was fabulous! You'll really enjoy this camper!

Congrats again!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't see a "legacy" on Montana's site.

irollman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I decided on the Montana 3791RD. The GD direct comparison ended up being $20K more, which I couldn't justify. Although there were a couple of things I liked better in the GD, the Montana also had some things I liked better than the GD, so all in all, I think it evens out. I get it delivered on November 2 (to my full-time spot). So I don't even need a truck to pull it with yet.

Thanks again everyone for an informative and lively discussion!

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
High Country's are nice mid level 5er's but compared to Montana's Legacy or non Legacy line that is a direct Competitor to the GD's Solitude there is a big difference like standard 12in frames , 6 point auto level ,better insulation better TV's and Sound systems, cherry wood cabinets AND frames on mine,Mor-Ryde 4100 suspension and Mor-ryde pin box 7K axles,G rated tires,nice rear cap on the Legacy option,Fantastic fans thru out, gel coated slide outs and the list goes on , a High Country is a great unit with the best bang for the buck that can be hauled by a alot of 3/4 ton trucks but for us Fulltimer Folks or extended stay people The Montana Legacy or (non Legacy) is the way to go but they are heavy and need a 1 ton truck (Dually preferred) to haul them,If I was not a fulltimer I would buy a High Country in a heartbeat But like I said The Montana High Country is not a direct competitor to the GD Solitude the Montana Legacy and Non Legacy model is
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
Thread creep, anyone have experience with Redwood 5ers ?

Only what I've seen in my research. Supposed to be high quality, "luxury" fifth wheel. I believe they're warranted for full time use. Local dealer had one for a short time, looked very nice. Would have considered it but not the floorplan we wanted.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Thread creep, anyone have experience with Redwood 5ers ?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Flintstones wrote:
... After a year of traveling, we are totally satisfied with our purchase and would buy the exact same model again without hesitation.

That's a testimony worth posting!

FYI, our sales people did tell us the High Country, at least the one we purchased ... front living room, is designed for full timing and warrantied by Keystone as a full-time RV. Comparing front living rooms between brands, they all have the huge front window now, and windows on all 3 sides of the opposing front living room slide outs. It has a residential refrigerator with an inverter when not hook up to shore power, and the 12 inch frame.

I think in the end, there's not much difference between the Montana-Montana and the High Country now as far as build and amenities. They both have the same bells and whistles now. I remember the sales lady telling us, "You are in the big league now. And since you are in the big league, you can expect big league repair bills if anything needs repair." (We got the 6 year warranty which covers bumper-to-bumper, except repacking bearing and tires. But we ended up getting tire protection, which also protects the tires of the tow vehicle too).

Having had our High Country for a month now, it seems to be OK. We've spent every night in it since we took delivery.

We also made the right decision for us.

When you decide to make the jump "to the big league", you really do have to split hairs with a microscope and figure out what actually works best for you and your unique lifestyle. The "big league" brands are so similar now.

For the OP. Good luck! Come back some day and let us know what you decided on. I don't think you are making the "wrong" choice by picking either brand.

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We own a Grand Design Solitude 375RES, and side by side compared it with the Montana 3791RD. We chose the Solitude for a variety of reasons, mostly for the reputation of great customer service from Grand Design, and no so great Keystone customer service which has been mentioned numerous times on these forums.

Overall, the Solitude is a wide body coach, it's 101 inches wide and that shows on the inside with more room to roam. We like the really tall slide outs, the wood trimmed window treatments, and the generous use of LED lighting through out the coach.

On the outside, the Solitude has superior rear storage beneath the living room, it has a completely open storage area with much larger baggage doors. The outside rear storage can swallow up two 11 foot kayaks comfortably, or three if you stuff em in.

On the inside, Solitude has more windows and bigger windows, and a large panoramic rear living room window where Montana offers two tiny windows. The Solitude kitchen area offers a buffet area with a spot for a tv, not the Montana. The Solitude bathroom has a deeper shower than the Montana for more elbow room. In the bedroom, we love the horizontal window over the headboard and the walk in closet with all the shelving perfectly fits our needs.

We got two calls from Grand Design BEFORE we ordered our unit, calls to answer questions we had. After a year of traveling, we are totally satisfied with our purchase and would buy the exact same model again without hesitation.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, when I started looking at newer FWs a few years ago, the High Countries were lighter weight versions of near-identical floor plans of the "Montana-Montana" models. Typically, they also had smaller tanks, too. Haven't looked at them in a couple years, so don't know what they've done since.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Access with the slides in has never been an issue with me. Not even sure if I do have access. I would go with Grand Design just based on past warranty/repair help from the factory. That may have changed since the buyout. Montana & Alpine would come in second. If I was going to live in a RV it would have full body paint.
Montana High Country's have been gradually upgraded since mine. They now have 8 lug wheels and a few other higher end features. But, the dealers are deliberately blurring the differences between the HC and regular Montana.
I'm looking for "something else" but it's going to be a monster financial hit.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us the difference between the VanLeigh and the Arctic Fox came down to tank sizes, and the fridge. The Vanleighs only come with a residential fridge, and for us very small tanks. They are very well made. Oh yeah, there wasn't a 12 volt outlet to be found in the VanLeigh, and they are nicely distributed in the Foxes.

That said, we almost always boondock, so we obviously leaned to the Fox.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We've been happy with our grand design. Wouldn't buy a drv again. We were happy with our newmar but don't miss our dp at all. Love the interior space if the fifth wheel and don't mind the traveling with it.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold