cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back up camera

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been asked before.. I tried a search but couldn't find the answer..

So I have a 2017 crossroads volante 310bh and it is prewired for the furrion camera my question is can I buy a different camera/wireless monitor system and have it just plug right into the prewired furrion plug (other cameras are way cheaper then the fusion ones) or will i need an adapter as well? Thanks in advance!
21 REPLIES 21

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look for something other than a Furrion. I have the observation model and it doesn't work very well. Not worth the price even if it was half what they sell for. Check the reviews and you will see not everyone has good luck with them.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wickedstang03 wrote:
Not saying cheaper is better... I can't see spending $300 on a backup camera that's all...

You may want to check the reviews on the "cheaper" unit. IMHO $300 is a deal if it works well and gives good clarity.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor - go back to page 1 to see my explanation of the difference.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
To those with observation cams... Can you record off them like you can with a dash cam? Anyone using a straight dash cam as an observation cam? I like the idea of an always on cam, as you can catch some amazing stuff that happens when you're parked...like people messing with your car/truck/camper, people running into you, parking lot fights, etc. :B

Some friends added 3 cameras to their FW. Rear cam, then one on each side, right behind the frame step in sweet little aerodynamic covers, painted to match the FW. Use a 10" screen and can view 1, 2 or all 3 simultaneously. They said it makes lane-changing =much= better since they can see if anyone is beside them. They have a huge Newmar pulled with an M2 Freightliner.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you search youll find a more detailed post.
I got 2+ years good use ou of a Furrion FOS48 observation system which was $300 or so at Amazon then the lens/camera went bad.

Called Furrion wanting to buy just the camera. Not available. Model is discontinued despite still being offered at Amazon and other vendors.

They suggested I buy their new model complete , the "vision" system, for $500.00 and it appears to use the same camera that failed which is not available.

Take your chances with Furrion. They partnered with LCI a few years back and now use the LCI non available or inflated price parts tactics.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
A backup camera, like the Haloview backup camera mentioned above, is not the same as an observation camera.

Other than choosing to connect to a different wire, explain the difference.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
A backup camera, like the Haloview backup camera mentioned above, is not the same as an observation camera.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it should. We plug the monitor into one of our 12vdc truck outlets, turn on the truck's running lights, and after a few seconds the picture is displayed.

Our rig is 38', and we have a full length truck bed. We have never lost the signal.

Good Luck.

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
When my TV's running lights are on so are my trailer's....and so is the Furrion observation camera.

When unhooked from the TV, my trailer's running lights are not powered.

Thank you! That's good to know.. So if I tie into that wiring the camera will work off the Running lights..

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
When my TV's running lights are on so are my trailer's....and so is the Furrion observation camera.

When unhooked from the TV, my trailer's running lights are not powered.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
wickedstang03 wrote:
Splashers3 wrote:
My Furrion Observation camera also works very well. Mind you, an observation camera is NOT the same as a back-up camera.

Back-up cameras come on when the TV is placed in reverse.
Observation cameras are on all the time....mine also needs the TV's running lights to be turned on first.

How does the furrion work... Does only come on with clearance lights or is it on all the time... Does it drain the battery when unhooked from tow vehicle and parked say in storage?

Usually the preinstalled wiring is on the same power line as the trailer running lights so anytime there is power to the trailer running lights there is power to the camera. Tow vehicle lighting is different so you would have to check to see when the running lights on your trailer operate (all the time the trailer is attached to the tow vehicle, only when tow vehicle headlights are on, etc.).

If you wanted to use the camera as a back-up camera only you would power the camera through the wiring for the trailer brake lights.

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
My Furrion Observation camera also works very well. Mind you, an observation camera is NOT the same as a back-up camera.

Back-up cameras come on when the TV is placed in reverse.
Observation cameras are on all the time....mine also needs the TV's running lights to be turned on first.

How does the furrion work... Does only come on with clearance lights or is it on all the time... Does it drain the battery when unhooked from tow vehicle and parked say in storage?

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure but I would think a Furrion plug would not fit another brand. Anyway, at least you have a power source if you get a different brand.

My wife has been wanting me to get an observation/backup camera for our fifth wheel ever since we got rid of the motorhome in 2012. My Ford has the camera towing system but didn't come with the backup camera for the trailer. After looking at it closely to get it and a conversion kit to be able to hook it up inside the bed I would be spending close to $600 to have a camera that only worked in reverse.

I'm going to try one of the cheaper wireless models like 2edgesword suggested. If it doesn't work I'll send it back to Amazon and move up in price till I find one that does.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
wickedstang03 wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
I have this one installed on my 32.5' travel trailer...

Yuwei Rear Observation Camera

It was easy to install using the wiring that had been pre-installed for a Furrion system but is less than half the cost. The unit as a wide field of vision (~120ยฐ) and during a two hour trip at highway speeds (60mph) there were two signal drops that lasted about 1 second each. Other than that it has functioned flawlessly with good video picture quality.

Did you have to do any splicing or did it just plug into the existing furrion plug?

I had to cut off the power plug designed for the Furrion system, strip the insulation off the wires and splice them to the wires on the Yuwei camera. There is a lot of extra wire length so cut off as much as you can and still have a length of wire you can work with. The more wire left over the more wire you have to shove back into the small hole in the trailer and there is not a lot of room for it.

You'll also have to drill some mounting holes for the camera. Just be careful about what's behind the area where you're drilling so you don't nick any wires.

Mounting the camera took 30 minutes or so including adding dicor sealant around the holes and mounting bracket.