cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dually tire rotation problem

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
We took our Dodge dually to Discount Tire to have the tires rotated. The wheels have extended valve stems bought from Chuck the Tire Man (and installed by Discount Tire). So the tires must be rotated from wheel to wheel while the valves stay in place.

The last time we took the Dodge in for tire rotation, the same Discount Tire place accomplished this, apparently with no problem. This time we were told that the rotation could not be done: the wheels would not fit on their machine because the extended valves are in the way. No amount of discussion led to finding a way around this supposed roadblock.

I tried to contact Chuck the Tire Man for suggestions. But he has apparently gone out of business. None of the phone numbers or the email address on his website work.

Suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
before taking some of the advice here, you need to understand that new Ram dually trucks with the tire pressure monitor system use a different frequency to monitor the inside dually tires. you can only switch the inside dually tires left to right and they have to stay on inside.

But if they are steel wheels I would recommend Xing the fronts to the outer rears. this keeps the direction of rotation the same.

but if they are polished wheel like my new truck, I will run fronts until shot, than buy 4 nicer tires for back. this leaves me 2 set of back tires that I can run on front as needed.

Edit, and this subject should be dually tire balancing problem, not rotation problem.

I was told with my last 2 Ram DRW trucks with Alcoa wheels I could just to rotate fronts side to side and balance. My 2015 Ram 3500 longhorn Laramie never rotated wheels in back. Just left them alone. Had 36,000 miles on them and only half worn before trading in.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
We took our Dodge dually to Discount Tire to have the tires rotated. The wheels have extended valve stems bought from Chuck the Tire Man (and installed by Discount Tire). So the tires must be rotated from wheel to wheel while the valves stay in place.

The last time we took the Dodge in for tire rotation, the same Discount Tire place accomplished this, apparently with no problem. This time we were told that the rotation could not be done: the wheels would not fit on their machine because the extended valves are in the way. No amount of discussion led to finding a way around this supposed roadblock.
I called Discount Tire and spoke with the technician whose name was on the invoice from the last time we had this done. He said, "Make an appointment with me and I will take care of you." We did. He did. Problem solved.

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, my last truck was a 1999 F350 dually which I had for 15+ years. I bought it new with the aluminum wheels on the front, aluminum wheels on the outside rear, steel wheels on the inside rear, and a steel wheel for the spare. My solution to the dually tire rotation problem(s) was to replace the four aluminum wheels with steel wheels. After doing this, when rotating tires, I was able to rotate any tire to any position and I also included the spare into the tire rotation. This solution may not be for everyone, but it worked fine for me.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
towpro wrote:
this subject should be dually tire balancing problem, not rotation problem.
Why? Discount Tire said they couldn't rotate the tires. They said nothing about being unable to balance them.
Apparently it did involve balancing , why else was the OP told the wheels would not fit on their machine ? No machine needed for just rotation .
They don't use a machine to mount and dismount the tires on the wheels?
. Now I get it , they are dismounting tires from rim to rotate tires only .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
towpro wrote:
Why? Discount Tire said they couldn't rotate the tires. They said nothing about being unable to balance them.
Apparently it did involve balancing , why else was the OP told the wheels would not fit on their machine ? No machine needed for just rotation .
They don't use a machine to mount and dismount the tires on the wheels?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
towpro wrote:
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
before taking some of the advice here, you need to understand that new Ram dually trucks with the tire pressure monitor system use a different frequency to monitor the inside dually tires. you can only switch the inside dually tires left to right and they have to stay on inside.

But if they are steel wheels I would recommend Xing the fronts to the outer rears. this keeps the direction of rotation the same.

but if they are polished wheel like my new truck, I will run fronts until shot, than buy 4 nicer tires for back. this leaves me 2 set of back tires that I can run on front as needed.

Edit, and this subject should be dually tire balancing problem, not rotation problem.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:

I tried to contact Chuck the Tire Man for suggestions. But he has apparently gone out of business. None of the phone numbers or the email address on his website work.

Suggestions?

Sadly Chuck 'The Tireman' has passed way a while back
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we traded our last drw, the spare was 12 years old. I had to use it to drive from memphis to amarillo. I didn't care for that too much.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care about rotating that much, but hate to let expensive spare tire to age becouse it is on painted rim.
At this point I am considering purchase of additional aluminium rim just for that.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
If you only have four aluminum rims, and steel rims for the inner duals, you need to dismount the tires to rotate them.

Yep, that what I found out on our 2006 F350 DRW. I ended up just rotating them side to side. Not what I wanted to do.

The other problem was the steel wheels had 4 holes in the wheel and the aluminum wheels had 5. This meant they would only go together one way where the valve stems were accessible. So I couldn't "clock" them to reduce vibration.

Me thinks our 2018 F350 is the same way. Thank you Ford. 😞

Bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you only have four aluminum rims, and steel rims for the inner duals, you need to dismount the tires to rotate them.

You also need to dismount the tires if they are directional.

Yes, good excuses to either have six fancy rims, or no fancy rims, and to not buy directional tires...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
If you go the just swapping the rears, remember that directional tires are swapped different from the non-directional tires.

Click For Full-Size Image.

I solved the same issue by installing the same straight metal valve stems on all wheels, and then used Milton Industries, air through, screw on 1-1/4 inch, valve extensions on just the rears. Easy to transfer from wheel to wheel.

Easy to air up with a Milton S-693-12 1/4" FNPT Extended Reach Dual Head Air Chuck (available on amazon)

Click For Full-Size Image.

If you like the 135 degree curved valve stem, amazon has them as a screw on extension version to a standard valve stem. Search =
milton industries valve extension to see others.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.