cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Flash or not to Flash?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
On another site that I frequent, this subject has become a LONG topic with lots of opinions. I tried searching here but nothing came up.

I will flash my bright lights for a trucker or another RV to let them know that it is OK for them to move over. I've had truckers do it for me many times. I don't drive at night so maybe flashing brights would not work well (blinding), turning your headlights off for a second is probably appropriate.

(daytime driving) Some of the 'driver's' say it's a faux-pas to flash the brights. I would agree but I see truckers do it all the time for each other.

When a truck has just past me, I can see the driver in his side mirror. The moment he turns his head, that's when I will flash my brights for him to move over. About half the time, I will get the courtesy lights and the other half not. :R

What do you do? :@

Safe travels,
MM. ๐Ÿ˜„
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins
43 REPLIES 43

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I only flash if the trucks turn signal is on and he looks like he having problems getting over. Same for a trucker (others with a large/slow vehicle) trying to get out in traffic or from a on ramp/etc.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
One commenter on here stated that the "new" crop of "drivers" have trouble reading English. TRUE statement! They don't come equipped with the common courtesy shown in past years.

What does having trouble reading English have to do with having common courtesy? I drove all over Quebec and I can barely read French, and it didn't affect how much common courtesy I have.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
siberian wrote:
a lot of these drivers out there can hardly read English.
Obviously lacking an essential driving skill....

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
I too am a little confused on how having a picture of a revered religious leader on the side of his truck constitutes a "bonus"?

Bonus what?

Itโ€™s called irony. :R

He was driving like a bat outta heck with what I equated at the time with a plastic Jesus on his dashboard.

Edit 10/22/18:
These attempts to shame me for posting the picture have bothered me for several days.

Since the day we took the picture, I made several attempts to determine who the image is depicting without success. I consider myself to be a curious, knowledge seeking person, and felt that knowing who the image was would give it some context. I said nothing disrespectful in my post, and I find it equally ironic that those trying to shame me for making negative assumptions about another culture are themselves making negative assumptions about me.

Itโ€™s unlikely that the image is of a Sikh Guru, because itโ€™s clearly a reproduction of a photograph. There were 10 Sikh Gurus, and the last one died in 1708. Photography didnโ€™t exist in those days. I also had a feeling that there must be some significance to the blade being held, even though it wasnโ€™t the traditional Sikh curved blade Kirpan knife. Turns out that itโ€™s actually a spear tip that this closely cropped picture has distorted.

I was finally able to determine that the image is in fact of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, a man who symbolized the revivalist, extremist and terrorist movement in the 1980s in Punjab, and was responsible for the launching the Sikh Militancy.

A quote from his Wikipedia page:
โ€œFrom his rise in popularity in 1978, till his death on June 6, 1984, for a period of six years Bhindranwale propagated and practised hate through the orthodox Sikh tenets. He used Amrit Prachar, the propagation of the tenets of the Sikh faith and mixed radical fundamentalism with incitement to violence. Author Khushwant Singh, summarized his โ€˜revelationsโ€™, that Bhindranwale was not bothered with the subtle points of theology; he had his list of doโ€™s and donโ€™ts clearly set out in bold letters. He took those passages from the sacred texts which suited his purpose and ignored or glossed over others that did not. He well understood that hate was a stronger passion than love: his list of hates was even more clearly and boldly spelt out.โ€

You are free to draw your own conclusions.

Please PM me if you want to discuss this further.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
egrove wrote:
I got pulled over by a cop in NY for flashing headlights. He said it's illegal, at least in that part of NY.

I hope you disputed the ticket, it's not illegal in NY, and in the places where it is illegal, it is usually only so when used to try to warn of a police presence.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
One trucker who didnโ€™t get a flash. His poor driving skills were displayed long before we got this picture, and were the reason for taking the picture. The cab โ€œartworkโ€ was just a bonus.

I too am a little confused on how having a picture of a revered religious leader on the side of his truck constitutes a "bonus"?

Bonus what?

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW I haven't seen blinking and flashing for many years. I did personally thank a trucker for letting me use his smart phone.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy traffic, I flash.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I flash and I don't worry about a thank you. I worry about safe merging and avoiding accidents.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

egrove
Explorer
Explorer
I got pulled over by a cop in NY for flashing headlights. He said it's illegal, at least in that part of NY.
Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2019 Tiffin Open Road Allegro 34PA

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I thought he must be a knife collector. Is that what you were sure I was thinking? Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s what you thought.

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
One trucker who didnโ€™t get a flash. His poor driving skills were displayed long before we got this picture, and were the reason for taking the picture. The cab โ€œartworkโ€ was just a bonus.

The guy in the "artwork" is not who I'm sure you think it is. The image is that of a Sikh guru. The trucking company is owned by a Sikh.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
I would love to see truckers WAIT for my signal for them to move back into my lane after they pass me. But they NEVER do. They all seem to have a great urgency to block my view while I get treated to their wake turbulence. IN MY FACE!
SO, what I do, as soon as they start moving back into my lane, is to quickly move into the lane they just vacated. I feel safer when I can look way down the road, and WITHOUT all that buffeting.

Bad idea. If I saw someone get passed by a semi, then immediately jump into the passing lane, I'd think they were nuts. How long do you remain in the left lane blocking traffic?
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer