cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle Towing Assistance - Weight Ratings

proffittk
Explorer
Explorer
So I haven't quite figured out how the whole weight rating thing goes.

So I've been doing some reading and based from my reading and lack of understanding, I have a truck to small for the beast I haul behind it.

Recently got a Cougar Camper 5th Wheel and its roughly 11441lbs shipping with 2065lbs on the hitch

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Longhorn 6.7 Diesel. Given it tows with no issues, no squat (has air lift), but I'm trying to see what kind of risk game I'm playing hauling it with this truck? Figured a few of you have much better understanding and experience with this than me, the NOOB of camper hauling
18 REPLIES 18

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Listen to what stickdog had to say. My big challenge is the capability of the rear truck tires.

RAM puts the same 18 or 20" tires and wheels on the 2500's and 3500 SRW trucks in the higher trim levels. Longhorns I believe come with the 20" rims and tires as a standard feather of the Longhorn trim level. THESE OEM TIRES ARE RATED TO 3640 pounds. With a RGAWR of 6500 is model does not have 17" rims and tires, that are standard on lowest trim levels.

Two times 3640 is 7280 pounds capacity for the rear axle/tires. So the difference between that and actual unload rear axle is in the 3500-4000 pound range.

BTW, stickdog said "correct me if I am wrong", he was WRONG.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to what stickdog had to say. My big challenge is the capability of the rear truck tires.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
From Keystone's 2019 Cougar specs page, it appears that the OP has a 369BHS, which is 11,441 lbs DRY, with a 2559 CCC, giving a GVW of 14,000 lbs. Take a 22% pin ratio and you've got nearly 3100 lbs' pin weight. So long as the axle and tires can carry it, I guess he'll be OK. Definitely not optimal, IMO. OP =really= needs to see what's actually on the pin when loaded to camp.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your correct licensing of your vehicle in your state in reciprocal in other states that you might travel in.

Trailer ON!

According to my state roadside enforcement DOT guys a out of state non commercial trucks registered weight has no meaning as a officer has no idea if the truck has the correct weight registered. This would be a motor vehicle code violation which the officer in this or another state would have no idea how to write a code violation number. Beside a non commercial truck isn't weighed for a gross weight violation in this state. All the officer is interested in is if the truck is registered and tagged/insurance and under axle/tire load ratings.
This was their input not just a opinion.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Totally agree...you are in good shape, both capability and licensing.

Jerry

proffittk
Explorer
Explorer
I see what everyone is saying now. 6K front 6500 in the back.

Thanks everyone for the input. Trying to weigh the risk to budget out. Love to just go out and get a new truck, BUT, we all know that doesnt come cheap

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
proffittk wrote:
I do hold a 12K plate, which is good I did that without thinking of it.

As for cargo. The only piece I can see is the tire label saying not to exceed 1806 on passengers and cargo. Course that's with factory tires

The 1806 number is the actual weight of the truck as built subtracted from the manufacturer's 10K GVWR. It has nothing to do with the OEM tires which are most likely rated to 3640 each. RAM rates the rear axle on the 3500 SRW at 7K and on the 2500 at 6500 with the same tires and wheels. This assumes the rear air system has the same rating as the rear coils.

So you should not have a issue with this trailer if the RGAWR is 6500 and you are licensed to the 12K as you stated. You have met your states requirement for the load in regard to tonnage, and no pickup exceeds the Federal Bridge Weight laws. Your correct licensing of your vehicle in your state in reciprocal in other states that you might travel in.

Trailer ON!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So looks like my biggest risk factor is the weight on the rear axle. Here's where I could use some opinions...how high is the risk? The tires have a 3600lb per rating, but I have the air leveling system on the rear and course its pushing past the OEM ratings

Rear axle or RAWR = the lessor of the axle/spring pack/tire/wheels.
We know you won't have any issues with the AAM 11.5" axle as its good for around 10k-11k lbs. Weak link with newer gen LDT is usually the wheels or spring packs. The truck more than likely has the optional 18" or 20" tires wheels that OEM with the 3500 SRW.
You have the truck so tell us what the rear axle scaled at.

another 2500 with coil springs
Scroll down to ib516 reply. He was using the same 2500 coil spring set up with the 6.4 hemi and had no problems with a 37' 12k 5er with 3 slides.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

proffittk
Explorer
Explorer
I do hold a 12K plate, which is good I did that without thinking of it.

As for cargo. The only piece I can see is the tire label saying not to exceed 1806 on passengers and cargo. Course that's with factory tires

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Two folk have mentioned that the OP may be over on payload. Yet the OP hasn't given us the payload capacity of the truck. Until we get that, everything is speculation. Payload is typically the first capacity exceeded.

proffittk: what is the payload capacity on the decal on the driver door jamb?
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your state licenses tonnage make sure you are licensed for 11K or 12K and trailer on. Your truck should have a 6500 RGAWR and you should be under that. GVWR is a manufacturers warranty issue. No pickup will exceed the the Federal Bridge Weight laws. Your 2500 has rear coil springs verse the leafs or air on the 3500 with a 7K RGAWR.

If correctly licensed, you should be fine. Search Wadcutters posts on weights here in RV.net for more info.

proffittk
Explorer
Explorer
So I found a free scale to try out.

Did the GVW..my GVWR is 10K and without passengers and a full camp out load...I was at 10680 (OUCH)

Then did my GCW. My GCWR is 25300 and again without the extras and a loadout w/ water I'm at 20620

My Towing weight is around 12380 with a max of 15190

My max on VTWR is 3798 and VTW was 2440.

So looks like my biggest risk factor is the weight on the rear axle. Here's where I could use some opinions...how high is the risk? The tires have a 3600lb per rating, but I have the air leveling system on the rear and course its pushing past the OEM ratings

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
proffittk wrote:
So I haven't quite figured out how the whole weight rating thing goes.

So I've been doing some reading and based from my reading and lack of understanding, I have a truck to small for the beast I haul behind it.

Recently got a Cougar Camper 5th Wheel and its roughly 11441lbs shipping with 2065lbs on the hitch

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Longhorn 6.7 Diesel. Given it tows with no issues, no squat (has air lift), but I'm trying to see what kind of risk game I'm playing hauling it with this truck? Figured a few of you have much better understanding and experience with this than me, the NOOB of camper hauling

Need more info, make and model of new Keystone 5er.
This will allow us to see the Dry and Gross weights, better to see if will work.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We need more info but I suspect you are probably right around the max limit for pin weight but if over, you probably aren't over by much.

Give us the full details on truck and trailer (there are stickers on each with payload info). Also tell us what you carry in the truck.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV