cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel measurement vs length

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious how manufacturers measure the length of their units? Do the measure the absolute longest tip to tail of the unit including the hitch nose or do they just count the floor length?

We are getting ready to build a new garage and I want to make sure it is either wide enough or deep enough to get an entire 5th wheel camper in there and close the door. I am wanting 40x40, with the back 10-12feet being about 4 feet lower that the front so I can back in the camper across the back of the garage and not need to have super high walls and a 14' door in the front. Where I am building has a natural slope away from the existing driveway so with the back 10-12' being lower the camper can be backed in across the back without digging it out...
24 REPLIES 24

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
If I remember correctly, the length listed in Montana specifications is defined as the length from the center of the king pin to the rearmost part of the rear bumper or of the rear cap as the case may be. Model number has no direct relationship to length.

When we looked at a 3400 Montana it actually measured over 37' if I remember correctly.

Avion Platinym 32.5 was actually 32.5' cap to cap.

Current 39TKSB3 MobileSuites is 40' 10" cap to cap.

YUP get out your tape measure and plumb bob!!!

My 2008 Montana 3400 RL 38'-6", from the front cap to the rear. 37' would be pretty close to the center of the kingpin to the rear.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
If I remember correctly, the length listed in Montana specifications is defined as the length from the center of the king pin to the rearmost part of the rear bumper or of the rear cap as the case may be. Model number has no direct relationship to length.

When we looked at a 3400 Montana it actually measured over 37' if I remember correctly.

Avion Platinym 32.5 was actually 32.5' cap to cap.

Current 39TKSB3 MobileSuites is 40' 10" cap to cap.

YUP get out your tape measure and plumb bob!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2017 Bighorn 3575el is 39'4" long and 13'3" tall. I would plan on a building that is 46-50 inside dimension. Figure on a 14.5' to 15' door height.

Bighorn now only has two models under 40' in length. The industry trend is lonnnnnnger 5th wheels.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Then you have Titanium by Glendale (no longer in business).

The nose of the trailer is extended out over the cab of the truck. Mine (Model 30E35-SA) is 30' from pin to rear bumper and 35' from nose to rear bumper. Thirty feet pulling and thirty-five feet living.

(SA is for side aisle which has nothing to do with length)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, my KZ D281RL is 31'8" per the brochure. I've not taken the time to measure it since I have an open-ended shade to store under. Need to put up a curtain on the S end, though, to help keep sun off.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufacturers will add two feet to the length of a fifth wheel for the Pin. I have a fifth wheel 35.5 in length and the manufacturer added two feet for the pin for 37.5.
G.H.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
humblerb wrote:

Your doors sag? Really?
I have a 14' door on a 14 year old shop. Doesn't sag at all.

Sag might be the wrong word but with a 14โ€™ door in manual mode you donโ€™t get 100% opening. A half to a full panel will hang (sag). Probably 12.5โ€™ clear opening with pushing it up and propping.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
MJO21 wrote:
in everyone opinion would a 14' door be large enough? Say it will sag and only open to 13' 6"?

Are you going with a motorized opener? In manual, mine sags a lot more than 6". I need to push and hold it up with a 14' 2" X 4" to get it to stay up.

Your doors sag? Really?
I have a 14' door on a 14 year old shop. Doesn't sag at all.
Also, the rails on mine are mounted above the level of the door opening, so even if mine did sag, the door wold still be higher than the opening. Be sure to consider doing this when you build.
I didn't build mine. I bought the house with the shop already there.

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
this is what I am thinking... ***Not to scale!!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KwTWHjTKIxLuZ4-Th75EnUrUQppVY-sj/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nT4aZbA9lQMcQNgnA2mWqyV0i50qeiFV/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rqCJ7XnTXI47xPTJ9qiIEHF12yzg6AmU/view?usp=sharing

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
newman fulltimer wrote:
model numbers are walking floor length not whole TV length

stickdog wrote:
Ours is a 36 ft model but exterior dimension is 37 ft pin to rear cap. I call it 38 ft to cover for the ladder.

This has been discussed many times on this and other forums, model numbers have nothing to do with length of a 5er!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
MJO21 wrote:
in everyone opinion would a 14' door be large enough? Say it will sag and only open to 13' 6"?

Are you going with a motorized opener? In manual, mine sags a lot more than 6". I need to push and hold it up with a 14' 2" X 4" to get it to stay up.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
My Montana 5er listed measurements and the actual measurements are the same, length 41 feet 6 inches. But the model is 375. What does that mean?

I was told the model number is the square feet of the rig. I have a 320 RS which is a 37.8โ€™ Trailer with 320 square feet of inside space.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
Couple things to also consider:

1. Will it have a bike rack on the back that isn't included in mgr length specs.

2. With the back part being lower than the front, can you still get the front low enough to get it level so you can leave the frig running while parked.

3. Will you have a straight shot to pull out before turning? If not, the back end will swing and need to factor that into the width so you don't hit the sides.

4. Allow for any AC units and ensure they are included in the height.

5. Allow for any truck ride height adjustments, especially on uneven surface when approaching the garage, and also will the door sag at all when fully raised or will you have 14' of true clearance with door open?

6. It's nice having a clear span over the 5er to work on the roof without dealing with rafters.

Just remember, once you get that 5er home and it doesn't fit, not a good situation to be in. I would go bigger than you think and make it easy to get in/out. I have a published 39' 5er with bike rack extending to 42'. Put up 45' garage, which is fine, but wish it was bigger for more space walking around.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog