cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Refrigerator?

mdhemrick
Explorer
Explorer
Is it OK to turn off a RV Refrigerator when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!
Lynn Hemrick
27 REPLIES 27

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:
mdhemrick wrote:
Is it OK to turn off a RV Refrigerator when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!

OK let me rephrase the question: Does a RV refrigerator need to run 24/7 or can I turn it off when not in use? If its turned off when not in use then the RV does not need to remain plugged in to an electrical outlet. The concern is getting the most life from the unit. Some where along the way I was told that letting one sit idle for extended periods of time wasn't good for one. Just wanted to visit the subject after purchasing a newer model. Thanks to those who have given positive input on the subject!

Much better question Lynn. As always, the first step is to read the manual for the fridge. If you didn't get one, a quick Google search should find one you can download. Since all types of campers, except park models, are designed for occasional use, there should be no valid reason any appliance would need to run continuously.

I agree that it's a waste of money to leave it running when it's not in use, but for some people, the convenience may be worth it.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:

mdhemrick wrote:
OK let me rephrase the question: Does a RV refrigerator need to run 24/7 or can I turn it off when not in use? If its turned off when not in use then the RV does not need to remain plugged in to an electrical outlet. The concern is getting the most life from the unit.

You're being unrealistic to expect that anyone can guarantee you one way or the other whether your fridge will survive better long term running 24/7 indefinitely or is turned off between trips. Rather, it's matter of cost vs convenience - yes it's more convenient to not have to unload the fridge after each trip and reload it again in preparation for the next BUT it does cost. Here in Ontario where I am it would easily cost me $30 month to leave my fridge running 24/7 so for the little inconvenience involved I've always turned the fridge off between trips. I've owned several trailers and therefore several fridges and have never had any issues with any of them and have no reason to believe this practice made any difference at all. It's entirely your choice as to which you believe is better, just as some insist on not running a fridge on gas while towing due to perceived safety concerns, which to the rest of us is nonsense. Your choice. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mdhemrick
Explorer
Explorer
mdhemrick wrote:

OK let me rephrase the question: Does a RV refrigerator need to run 24/7 or can I turn it off when not in use? If its turned off when not in use then the RV does not need to remain plugged in to an electrical outlet. The concern is getting the most life from the unit. Some where along the way I was told that letting one sit idle for extended periods of time wasn't good for one. Just wanted to visit the subject after purchasing a newer model. Thanks to those who have given positive input on the subject!
Lynn Hemrick

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
And another new member bites the dust.... Maybe some will figure out what plugged up is and apply to themselves.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgfrye wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Jay Coe wrote:

Plugged up with what? Toilet paper? Are you serious, or trolling? On when you use it, off when you don't. This isn't rocket science!

What would really be better would be if people didn't have to be such a-holes to someone asking a simple question.

x2

Yes, there are a few real jerks on this forum. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to go away.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Ignore this post...ok
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:
I'm 56, college educated, retired electrician and work at a technical college and I've NEVER heard plugged up used for a plugged in electrical connection.

That's because you are on the west side of the country. LOL

I've never heard it either.

Must be a back east / south thing.
Bob

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 56, college educated, retired electrician and work at a technical college and I've NEVER heard plugged up used for a plugged in electrical connection.
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
When I worked for a large inverter manufacturer, in tech support (answering tech calls all day), it was all too common for people from certain geographic regions of the US to use the phrase "plugged up" instead of "plugged in". It was mostly the folks from the Southeast

This might be a portmanteau type of thing.

Plugged in / Hooked up = plugged up.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:

If it is running on propane with a pilot light, that is a REASONABLE thing to do.

Who makes a propane fridge that operates with a pilot light?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
When I worked for a large inverter manufacturer, in tech support (answering tech calls all day), it was all too common for people from certain geographic regions of the US to use the phrase "plugged up" instead of "plugged in". It was mostly the folks from the Southeast
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, made me laugh. So I did some research. Here's what I found out:

Plugged up:

Plugged in:

Google did this, so it must be true!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
I turned mine on in April of this year and will turn it off in the next couple of weeks when I finish winterizing. I still have food in the fridge and freezer, extra space from home.
Been doing this for 12 years now and no problems ever (touch wood) with the fridge.

If it is running on propane with a pilot light, that is a REASONABLE thing to do.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your using the fridge every weekend I would turn off and leave the doors open a crack. I found out the hard way about leaving in running when I came up to my trailer at my site after an extensive heat wave to find the cooling unit blown out.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, touchy this morning, arenโ€™t we?
Plugged up, plugged in. Sheesh. It was an RV she was referring to, right?

Even though Iโ€™m โ€œplugged upโ€ 24/7 to 30A, I turn on day before using and turn off after removing everything. Mine tends to collect quite a bit of frost, so I like to let that thaw and then wipe down inside and out. Leave the doors open to dry out.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch