Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vegas RV rental Jan 26th

breausaw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, hope this is right forum for my inquiry
We are landing in Las Vegas January 26 from Alaska for a 12-day RV rental trip, 2019 Thor Four winds 22B. Our Plan is to visit Death Valley, Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon (Weather permitting)
So just wondering for this time of year these are realistic RV destinations?
Any insight helpful,
Jay
10 REPLIES 10

breausaw
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that late December early January in Utah for RVs may not be the best choice. Would love to visit these locations.

dedmiston
Another vote for Utah here. Utah is heavenly. You'll never run out of things to see and do there.

(If you have any recreational vices, make sure to stock up before you leave Nevada where things are cheaper and simpler.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Second going the other direction. go to Bryce, Zion and Escalante in Utah. Much less driving and (in my opinion) nicer than Death Valley and Joshua Tree.

breausaw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies seems that we should probably stay flexible. It's difficult to make campsite reservations in an area not familiarized with so we're just going to play it by ear and hope for the best
My son's going to be Navigator, he's quite good with Google Maps.
Not spending any time in Vegas been there before, my son was through there last year and Civil Air Patrol.
He's a pilot so we plan on renting a plane someplace along the way and doing some sightseeing, provided we can find a 172 at a decent price.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
All three of your destinations should be great in January. Joshua Tree can still be crowded due to European visitors, it's their winter too. Death Valley should be very nice with low attendance. Grand Canyon, if you are lucky enough to see it after a snow, unbelievable in winter. You can still see everything with the added detailing of the snow. It is funny how the snow highlights the detailing in the spires and rocks. Attendance is still low then. Be forewarned that the North Rim will be closed. It closes the end of this month through May 30.

You are well aware, I assume, of what an inversion layer can do to the weather, during January with normally clear skies, it can get pretty cold. Not like AK but 30's to 50's during the daylight hours.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
breausaw wrote:
Hi, hope this is right forum for my inquiry
We are landing in Las Vegas January 26 from Alaska for a 12-day RV rental trip, 2019 Thor Four winds 22B. Our Plan is to visit Death Valley, Joshua Tree and the Grand Canyon (Weather permitting)
So just wondering for this time of year these are realistic RV destinations?
Any insight helpful,
Jay

Not Hot but probably not Crowded! One of our Best trips to Zion was just before Christmas - Shorts and T's to the top of Angles Landings then over to Bryce for a Snow Capped Sunset - Awesome!

I'd think about a possible Day or two in Vegas - Show and possible helo ride to the Grand Canyon at Sunset, If you really need Warm look to Yuma as it might be the warmer area to head to.

I'd be flexible in my planning and keep an Eye on the weather - we have always enjoyed Utah in the Winter - IMHO it's the best time - Be smart - use the weather service as a Guide - Think you will Love it.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Well it all depends, our winters can be cold or nice, just stay in the lower elevations here and you wont see any snow, sometimes we have warm winters in the high 60's and low 70's but than it could be cold and windy when you get here, spring time is better, don't do the summer here its really hot..

Have you already reserved the RV, cause if you have not you could wait till you get here and check the weather so you don't waste your money, there is plenty of RV rental stores here, there will always be one available..

Oh and to answer your question yes these are good places to see in the winter but spring time is best.

:C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, az, it was 105 in March when I was camping at Stovepipe and Furnace Creek!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Better than summer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely! You’ll have a great time. GC South Rim for sure. Unfortunately Scotty’s Castle in DV won’t yet be reopened however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad