cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze free hose

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be traveling in some cooler weather and at least one of the parks we are going to requires freeze free water hoses after November 1st. Has anyone had much experience with these or do you just use heat tape of some sort with a standard rv water hose?

The freeze free hose is pretty expensive so I was curious as to whether it is popular or not.

Thanks.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
15 REPLIES 15

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
KISS Theory:

1. Fill fresh water tank.

2. Disconnect hose. AND drain the hose.
Hold hose above your head and work the hose up and over. That completely drains it. Then you can just leave it on the ground outside.

3. If you have an inline filter attached to spigot be sure to take it off and bring it inside.

If you're camping in a place where it snows, leaving the hose on the ground outside is not the greatest idea assuming you'll want to find it again before springtime. Some hoses also get rather inflexible when sufficiently cold.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No reason to use a hose in freezing weather. That's what your fresh water tank is for. Also, don't leave your sewer hose out. Store it and pull it out to dump and then store it again. They crack very easily in cold weather. Plus, you don't want anything to freeze in there and then have to store it frozen.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
harley-dave wrote:
I use one of these CLICKY and an insulated cover I made fr the faucet. My RV connection is inside a heated compartment so no problem there.

Dave

I saved $100 by disconnecting the water hose and running off internal tanks.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
KISS Theory:

1. Fill fresh water tank.

2. Disconnect hose. AND drain the hose.
Hold hose above your head and work the hose up and over. That completely drains it. Then you can just leave it on the ground outside.

3. If you have an inline filter attached to spigot be sure to take it off and bring it inside.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tell you what. go to You tube and find the rv geeks. they show and tell you how to make you own heated hose and it's much cheaper then the ones you buy. I did my brothers for his trailer and his never froze during a very cold winter. what you need is a good fresh water hose, foil, heat tape, and black insulation foam and plastic ties or duct tape

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these CLICKY and an insulated cover I made fr the faucet. My RV connection is inside a heated compartment so no problem there.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikemc53 wrote:
Going to be traveling in some cooler weather and at least one of the parks we are going to requires freeze free water hoses after November 1st. Has anyone had much experience with these or do you just use heat tape of some sort with a standard rv water hose?

The freeze free hose is pretty expensive so I was curious as to whether it is popular or not.

Thanks.

I had to change undies (Well not really) when I read the price on that hose.

I now have two summer and one winter hose which I'm no longer using.

(I will tell you how I do it in winter)

The winter hose.. I went to BIG LOTS and got a string of Rope Lights. these were NOT LED but the good old fashing incandascant. Each lithe is just a couple watts.

I got a couple rolls of "Fancy" Duct Tape (Zebra pattern currently used to be polka dots) and taped the rope light to the water hose.

A thermostatic outlet adapter turns 'em on long about 35 Degrees. Real cute when the hose lights up.

How I do it.

Fill the on board fresh tank ...Disconnect and drain the hose.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep....the best thing to do is to disconnect the hose from both the faucet AND the RV to make sure there isn't a plug of ice that will expand and burst your connection.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:

Thanks.

Just make one - Heat tape - Hose Pipe insulation - Bib cover - Simple.

http://redneckexpress.blogspot.com/2010/11/building-heated-water-connection.html

That said the heated line is really only needed for permanent site installation, as using the on board tank not only is easier but also allows the water to be heated faster, in the hot water heater, as it starts out warmer.

If you are into visiting Beautiful Sites, then the Off Season is Great - Less Crowded - More Animals - Just a great time to Go.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, filling the onboard tank is the way to go unless the supply system is heated as well as your own supply hose. And those "freeze-proof" faucets with the large 'D' shaped pull handles are not freeze proof at all if the hose is left hooked up with the faucet open.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We have some freeze proof heated hydrants in our late season section. Its for our protection, not yours. A heated hose is worthless unless the supply faucet is also freeze proof heated.
By far the best idea is to fill your fresh water tank, disconnect then use your pump. Its so minor a proactive issue. Then you do not need a heated hose, no concern of a frozen hose when you use your tank and pump.
be wary. --- no run away, of those who say 'trickling ' water during cold spells will get you through. That very slow trickle will freeze in your waste hose, turning it into a 3" poopsickle, which will back up into your rig and flood it. Do not trickle the water.
Ask camp management about their water supply, They know their system, and about your unit.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You need to freeze-free your water faucet out of the ground, your hose of course, and your connection to the rv.

What you really need to do is fill up your water tank and refill it in the daytime when the water connections have thawed. That may be a few days at a time.
-jbh-

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I simply fill my fresh water tank. I keep the hose in a compartment that I can heat.

X2
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Much safer to follow tuna’s advice...winter, spring, summer and fall
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad