cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking at newer RV

oldgulfc
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at maybe changing to an A class. I noticed that they changed the ford v10 from 05 to 06 and also the transmission to a 5 speed. I have looked at some very nice 05's but I don't know if I should only look at 06 and above because of the upgrade. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them ?
14 REPLIES 14

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron .... thanks for the the heads-up on the external/remote transmission filter!

I crawled down and looked - my 2005 E450 chassis indeed does have one - and it's been changed. There are fairly fresh wrench marks on my external filter canister's bolt head and I now remember a recent service where they mentioned changing this filter.

This filter should be changed at the regular 5R110W (5-speed TorqShift transmission) fluid replacement points.

Read all about it here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/search.php?do=showgcs&query=5R110+filter
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:

I believe it does not replace the transmission pan filter, but rather an extra filtering system. I wonder what the whole story is about it.

Concur !

The adapter, filter mount, filter and housing obviously cost a few dollars. What did they change to make then think that it was no longer required ?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
So it seems the remote filter was in 2003s thru 2007s......or at least this particular part number.
Thanks theoldwizard1!

I believe it does not replace the transmission pan filter, but rather an extra filtering system. I wonder what the whole story is about it.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll try to take a look for that next time I get under my 2005 E450.

If I do have that external transmission bell jar filter ... I wonder who has been putting a new cartridge in it periodically?

My owner's manual is all tucked away right now, but I wonder if the service interval charts in it mention when to replace the cartridge, if I in fact have one?

:h

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:

I cannot say for certain, but my foggy memory on research I did long ago says the extra external transmission filter ...

This is a picture of a set of "recycled" transmission cooler lines AND FILER from an 03-07 E350/E450 with a 5R110 transmission.

My guess is that the fitting in the left foreground are where the lines connect to the transmission.

The 5R110 was used until the the 6R140 came out in 2011, so maybe the filter was "thrifted" for 08-10 ?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
One item in our 2007 TorqShift transmission that Ford discontinued in later years is that we have an additional external bell jar style transmission oil filter. The internal cartridge resembles a roll of toilet paper. I think the 2006 also has it. It seems good to have for extra filtering and also extra cooling. Ford discontinued it after 2007, I assume they considered it excessive protection and discontinued it to cut cost. I wonder if the external filter setup dates back further.
Ron ... :h

I've been down under my E450 many times and never noticed that canister - OTHER THAN in your photo it looks exactly like my V10's engine oil filter cartridge with a lot of dirt on it. The replacement screw-on oil filters I use are usually white color.

But ... in your photo it looks like a leaf spring is near that canister??? My E450 of course has no leaf springs in the front (.. but the discontinued V10 powered E550 van chassis did have leaf springs in the front).

If there is some kind of external transmission filter under there - then I've never noticed or changed it. If so, maybe that's why my Class C's original 5R110 Torqshift transmission failed at around 60K miles!
Hi pnichols,

I cannot say for certain, but my foggy memory on research I did long ago says the extra external transmission filter was introduced for model year 2006 and deleted for 2008, just a two year run for the 2006 and 2007 model years. I wonder if Ford added it to address a deficiency, then resolved the matter for the 2008 model year.

ADDING: I don't get it. I am more confused now that I just compared Torqshift transmission fluid capacities for 2005 and 2007. They are the same at 17.5 quarts. Are you certain you don't have that bell jar?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
One item in our 2007 TorqShift transmission that Ford discontinued in later years is that we have an additional external bell jar style transmission oil filter. The internal cartridge resembles a roll of toilet paper. I think the 2006 also has it. It seems good to have for extra filtering and also extra cooling. Ford discontinued it after 2007, I assume they considered it excessive protection and discontinued it to cut cost. I wonder if the external filter setup dates back further.

Ron ... :h

I've been down under my E450 many times and never noticed that canister - OTHER THAN in your photo it looks exactly like my V10's engine oil filter cartridge with a lot of dirt on it. The replacement screw-on oil filters I use are usually white color.

But ... in your photo it looks like a leaf spring is near that canister??? My E450 of course has no leaf springs in the front (.. but the discontinued V10 powered E550 van chassis did have leaf springs in the front).

If there is some kind of external transmission filter under there - then I've never noticed or changed it. If so, maybe that's why my Class C's original 5R110 Torqshift transmission failed at around 60K miles!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldgulfc wrote:
I have been looking at maybe changing to an A class. I noticed that they changed the ford v10 from 05 to 06 and also the transmission to a 5 speed. I have looked at some very nice 05's but I don't know if I should only look at 06 and above because of the upgrade. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them ?

For their V10 Ford changed it's transmission to the 5-speed Torqshift in 2005. Our 2005 Class C was built in the fall of 2004 and it has the 5-speed (6 different transmission ratios, internally) Torqshift transmission.

This transmission - with it's great electrically activated Tow/Haul mode - is a real pleasure to drive. I stay in Tow/Haul almost exclusively for better responsiveness and control. Cruise control can still be used with the Tow/Haul mode engaged. When in Tow/Haul mode and going downhill, a tap of the brake will downshift the transmission - no messing with the gearshift lever is required.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
oldgulfc wrote:
What about the horsepower difference from 05 to 06 ? From 310hp to 362hp seems like it would a noticeable change for the better.

It would be, but the higher power version of the engine was never in the E series chassis--it's the three valve version that's used in the F series and the F53 class A motorhome chassis (and maybe a few other places), but it doesn't fit in the E series.

There have been various incremental refinements to the engine over the years, but no big jumps in power.

oldgulfc
Explorer
Explorer
What about the horsepower difference from 05 to 06 ? From 310hp to 362hp seems like it would a noticeable change for the better.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford came out with a 6 speed automatic in 2011 or 2012 model year. Used in both the E-Series and F53.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ron

You might check with 5 Star Tuning and see if they have a tune to fit your rig. I have one and it changed the shift pattern on my 2005 E-450 dramatically for the better..

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old fan of stick shift's. I have an '89 E-150 with a 300cu with a 5 speed stick.

We have a 2015 mh with the E-450, with the Tow/Haul on, it down shifts and the engine helps to hold the mh back going down large hills.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have not compared transmissions.

I always understood that each change with engine, transmission, and chassis, is an improvement over the previous versions. Every version is very reliable with one exception with the engine pre-2005 or pre-2004 where the later version addressed spark plugs popping out. Outside of that particular change to address reliability, each change improves driveability, performance and/or fuel economy.

There is nothing wrong with the transmission that preceded the 2006 TorqShift transmission. The TorqShift is a tad bit better as are the transmissions that followed after it.

We have a 2007 E350 chassis with V10 engine and TorqShift transmission. Simply said, it works great in all circumstances except one. My only complaint is that it down-shifts too dramatically when the cruise control is on while climbing over-passes on the interstates. There are enough gears, but the software programming of when to shift and what gear to select, could have been better for our particular rig with tow vehicle. But each motor home is different. Maybe it works better for bigger/heavier rigs towing more.

Here is a picture I found on the web....it is not my rig, but the filter arrangement resembles mine.

Here is a picture of the cartridge.