cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Shower question?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel, 2019 model, had it for about a month now. Been sleeping in the camper every night since we took delivery. Using all the systems. Been "out" 2 week-ends and going "out" again this week end. So, we're getting comfortable and very use to the new camper now. I've worked my way through lots of unknowns, solved different issues, and am quiet comfortable with the new camper now, except for one thing...the shower water temperature.

The shower has a single faucet handle that rotates from cold to hot. The problem is, it doesn't seem to get hot enough for our style. I know the water heater is putting out more heat than that, because when using the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink, or the outside shower, or even the low point drain, the water IS hot!

So, quite obvious the shower water is mixing cold and hot, probably as a safety feature to keep from scalding. I've never liked those single knob faucet for this very reason. Hot seems to never be truly hot and cold seems to never be truly cold. But, it is what it is. It's a camper, and I understand the logic behind making things "safe" as possible.

But now the question? The water is definitely mixing for the shower, but does anyone know where? Is it mixing at the actual faucet handle, and restricting pure hot from flowing, or is there some kind of mixing valve farther up stream doing the mixing. If the mixing is happening right at the faucet knob, I'll find a way to swap the faucet handle. If it's further upstream, I may just have to learn to live with it.

Thoughts anyone before I start dismantling anything? Mixing at the faucet or mixing with a device further upstream? My thoughts are the faucet, based on previous experiences with these in homes.

FYI, the shower head puts out a really nice flow of water. Water pressure is great! When I was in the shower this morning, wife pushed the peddle on the toilet and I got a blast of nice HOT water, then it went luke-warm again. So I know it's mixing somewhere.
7 REPLIES 7

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Once again, thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I ended up pulling the faucet handle, disconnecting both hot and cold water line, and flipping the faucet handle up-side-down. What that means is, the cold is going in the hot side, and the hot is going in the cold side.

When rotating the handle now, it starts off hot and the farther it turns it gets colder, just the opposite of the way it use to work.

And yes, the water is now nice and HOT! It's still not scalding, but it's definitely HOT now, and flip it all the way around and it's cold.

Before doing this I talked with the DW and we both agreed, when we first turn the shower on, it always starts off with cold water from sitting in the lines and usually takes a minute before it gets hot anyway (that how our last trailer functioned). So as long as we are aware of this, we've got no problems using it this way.

We very seldom have guests, maybe our son and grandson who come with us occasionally. They will just have to be taught to use it this way.

Problem solved! No extra plumbing required, except to unhook and hook back up the line.

And, an extra benefit...The shower hose now hangs down and loops up to it's holder. When it was turned the other way, the hose was coming out of the knob thingie straight up, causing the hose to snake around and twist. Now it hangs nice and straight.

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Moen brand showerhead that had a black plastic stop set under the faceplate. Opened cover and was able to adjust to hottest position. Satisfied us.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how far the handle turns. If it turns all the way around like almost 360* then it's probably a mixture screw adjustment or the like. If the handle only turns part way then it's a turn stop adjustment. Our single handle shower home unit has a stop adjustment option. Never used it. Wife and I want different temps.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
On my s&b the faucet is a price Phister with that same problem. I ended up using the valve in the cold water supply line to throttle back so the flow on the cold is reduced.
In a 5er you will likely have to add a valve for that.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! So the mixing is at the faucet. I'll check it tonight when I get home, see if there is a way to adjust it. It makes me feel better knowing this is really what is happening, and it is at the faucet, not elsewhere. I really didn't want to tear the wall apart.

Thanks guys!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch...we had that same problem in our S and B after a bathroom remodel.
Grohe faucet set in the shower..There is a, "scald guard," system in the faucet. Had to remove the plate and make adjustments so the water would be hotter. It was set too low and even on full hot it was only luke warm.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing it's in the shower control. There might be an adjustment behind the trim cover.
See if you can find the make of the shower control, then Google it.