cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it wise to keep MH plug in to Electric?

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Is it wise to keep the MH plug in to electric when not in use? I know one should start the Generator very month when not in use. I do keep the MH in the garage when not in use. Its a Winnebago Sightseer gas Chevy 454 28 foot.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With most modern motor homes I would say leave it plugged in as much as possible. this keeps batteries up and ready to roll at any time. In many if not most motorhomes it will keep both Starting and House batteries full up and ready to go.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has been plugged in 24/7 for 17 years. No issues.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your profile says you have a 1995 dodge MH and unless the converter was upgraded along the way it is probably not a multi stage charger. I would check the output of the converter and post what you get here, some can be close to 14 volts. If so I would not keep it plugged in all the time, just plug it in until it is fully charged then unplug and use the battery disconnect switch and when the battery voltage drops by 10 percent plug it in again. A good battery will last all winter without being plugged in. Also your op says you have a 454 engine but your profile says Dodge was this a mistake?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no advantage either way, except a nice warm spot for critters to nest. I,m in ohio, rv in a garage ,batteries on a tender , rv winterized.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhomes stays plugged in 24/7 with no ill effects and I've been doing it for the past 9 years with 3 different coaches. If your coach has a quality charger, you'll be fine leaving it plugged in.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave ours plugged in for humidity control but I leave the fridge off with the doors open.
It frosts up in a few weeks.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RV'ing since the 60's. I have always kept my rv's plugged in and the frig running. I winterize during the winter and the rv is ready to go camping on a moments notice. I have never had a frig go out due to it running 24/7/365, never. I just made sure the converter doesn't boil out the batteries in the old days, not the converter shuts off when the batteries are fully charged

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I keep our 96 Southwind plugged in 24/7 when parked in our yard.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
In the last 5 years since we've owned our rig, I've had it plugged in for the majority of the time....either sitting in the driveway or at a campsite. When I store for the winter in December, I turn off the main battery switches and the rig sits under cover at a storage lot until I de-winterize just before Easter. I've had no problems as a result of keeping her plugged in.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
in the months i use the rig all the time, i leave it plugged in and the refer on with stuff in it. in the winter, i unplug the rig xcept for about 1 week a month just to keep the batteries up.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My old 5th wheel would over charge the batteries so I added a disconnect and a simple battery charger that was a maintainer and would float when the batteries were charged. I got the charger from Costco. The disconnect I picked up from an RV place it might have been Camping World. It was a simple bracket that had a plastic insulator that isolated the positive terminal from the trailer it was easily installed and removed.

With this setup I left the 5th wheel plugged in. I ran a heater on a thermostat controlled plug in freezing temps and it gave me piece of mind even though I winterized it. I also like to leave my frig on.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be my concern if the unit sits for a long period of time

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not, with the chargers on older Winnies you should alternate every couple of weeks. You batteries could be over charged. I can't explain the workings, but I know from experience.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It should not be a problem but I wonder why you would.