cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
What is this and where does it go. I think it is some kind of converter, and goes in the side box where the shore cord is stored. The previous owner Jury rigged the cord to work with out this box. He said it was burnt out, and might cost $300 to replace. Hope the picture shows.

Can't get the picture to show for some reason, it is in the some pictures link.
My website
My Website
1986/87 E-350 Ford Mobile Traveler
Some Pix of progress
24 REPLIES 24

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I there is such a thing as a double throw, single (or double) pole 30 amp switch, wouldn't it be fairly easy to build a manual system to change between the two electrical sources.???
bumpy

A double pole, double throw, non-shorting switch would be reasonable and basically safe (so long as the switch doesn't fail). It still may not be technically up to code (as most switches would not be listed for such duty), but the basic concept is reasonable and sound. On a smaller scale I have set up much the same thing between a little inverter and shore power for the TV and DVD player in my motorhome, in matter of fact.

Single pole switches would have to be tied together so they operate as a single double pole switch. You shouldn't have the hot and neutral able to be switched independently of each other. In general, anything that relies solely on the user to do things in the proper order to be safe is at best very ill-advised. Much preferable is to have systems that make it impossible to operate in the wrong way where one can do that.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I there is such a thing as a double throw, single (or double) pole 30 amp switch, wouldn't it be fairly easy to build a manual system to change between the two electrical sources.???
bumpy

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
If it is a transfer switch, I "assume" the original owner just switched it to a manual change from gen set to campground outlet like my first motorhome was set up. fool proof and save $300.
bumpy

Yeah ! , I think that is what he might have done. When or If I get the bendix fixed on the inboard Gen, I'll see if it will work with that. The previous owner is a Detective in the Roanoke area of Va. Found a un-spent 9 mm hollow point in the cabinet. Sure he knew more about guns.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Switching just the hot wire doesn't work if everything is to stay up to code. The built-in generator needs to have ground and neutral bonded (it's a permanently installed system, not a portable generator, so the code requirements are different), and they need to be not bonded when connected to shore power. That's not possible unless you switch both the hot and the neutral (or, I suppose, have some sort of an approved switch system for the bond).

Normal single-throw switches would also require some sort of approved interlock to prevent more than one source from being connected at the same time. Connecting both the generator and shore power simultaneously is a very bad thing, and indeed is the primary thing that a transfer switch is designed to make impossible.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
30 amp switch
Bumpyroad wrote:
don't really see how you can use a standard household switch for 30 amp circuits?
bumpy

thanks, but how many of these would you need to build a transfer switch? seems to me it would be better to use double pole/double throw switches??? I still like how it was set up on my first RV, 30 amp cord/plug hooked to RV, 30 amp outlet on gen set. move the cord to whichever input you are using and can't hook both up at same time.
bumpy

I didn't get specific on the switch in my example. I just showed there are 30 amp switches availale.

On one of my Rv's that was 30 amp it just switched the hot wire.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
30 amp switch
Bumpyroad wrote:
don't really see how you can use a standard household switch for 30 amp circuits?
bumpy

thanks, but how many of these would you need to build a transfer switch? seems to me it would be better to use double pole/double throw switches??? I still like how it was set up on my first RV, 30 amp cord/plug hooked to RV, 30 amp outlet on gen set. move the cord to whichever input you are using and can't hook both up at same time.
bumpy

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
30 amp switch
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy
H/R Endeavor 2008
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
It is working, but I think I had better get a bigger Fire Extinguisher just in case.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ah ha, witholding evidence!

A simple switch to replace a fancy transfer switch is an easy mod. I had an rv built that way. Quite reliable. I would give the old piece of work a toss unless you are interested in keeping things original.
H/R Endeavor 2008

sleepygeek
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everybody : the previous owner did some intuitive jury rigging in the shore cord box, used a household light switch to switch from 'shore to gen' power. I like puzzles, this rig is like a single color jig-saw puzzle so far. He did the same 'light switch' thing ( under dashboard ) between the two fuel tanks too. If it works, no need to fix it.

The fuse/ breaker box looks in really good shape.
My website
My Website
Some Pix of progress

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only component I can see is a large Relay. So Transfer switch is my guess.

NOW. if you have an older converter some of them have a 12 volt transfer in them but I do not think this is it. This looks like a 120 volt 30 amp transfer relay.

Double Pole (I'm assuming double throw as well).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/automatic-transfer-switch-install-123443.html

Found this post on the iRV2 forum... looks just like yours.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
That is an automatic transfer switch and there are several available online for about $125. There are several sets of installation instruction online as well. Converting to a standard 3 wire power inlet setup is also a way to go.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II