cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video TR: Million Dollar Highway, CO

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of talk here, and elsewhere on other RV forums, about the advisability of driving US-550 (a.k.a. the Million Dollar Highway) through Colorado's San Juan Mountains in an RV. I figured that I'd give you a video glimpse of the road so that you can make these decisions for yourself.

Travel it with us from end to end, from Durango to Ouray. We'll camp in the historic town of Silverton and check our its famed steam railway, take a 4x4 trip across Engineer Pass to Lake City that makes the Million Dollar Highway seem like a Sunday drive, and learn about Silverton's rich mining heritage at the fabulous San Juan County Historical Society Museum:

https://youtu.be/wte47AEZzwA
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136
17 REPLIES 17

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
jbc28 wrote:
Hey Marc,

Been following you for a long time on youtube. Good to see you over here too. Keep up the good work.

I'll be in Phoneix for work in May, then taking a few days to explore Sedona and points north toward the GC. Any tips for that area? Shoot me a DM, if so.

Thanks,

Blake

Thanks so much Blake! DM just sent.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
FirstTracks wrote:
There's a lot of talk here, and elsewhere on other RV forums, about the advisability of driving US-550 (a.k.a. the Million Dollar Highway) through Colorado's San Juan Mountains in an RV. I figured that I'd give you a video glimpse of the road so that you can make these decisions for yourself.

Travel it with us from end to end, from Durango to Ouray. We'll camp in the historic town of Silverton and check our its famed steam railway, take a 4x4 trip across Engineer Pass to Lake City that makes the Million Dollar Highway seem like a Sunday drive, and learn about Silverton's rich mining heritage at the fabulous San Juan County Historical Society Museum:

https://youtu.be/wte47AEZzwA

Hey Marc,

Been following you for a long time on youtube. Good to see you over here too. Keep up the good work.

I'll be in Phoneix for work in May, then taking a few days to explore Sedona and points north toward the GC. Any tips for that area? Shoot me a DM, if so.

Thanks,

Blake
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:
We did it in 2013 from Durango to Ouray pulling a 37ft fifth wheel. Thanks for the video I had to concentrate on the road

I'm sure you did! With the right gear, we were able to do that and film at the same time. 😉
Cottonwood Heights, UT

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in 2013 from Durango to Ouray pulling a 37ft fifth wheel. Thanks for the video I had to concentrate on the road

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
We did that in 08 I think from Durango to Oury with a week in Silverton. Took a jeep to Lake City via the Alpine Loop. We were there in the last week of June and that was the year they had gotten a record snow fall. They had just plowed the road to Lake City
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:
I watched this video on YouTube this morning then came across this thread. Wow, what a great video! I can't wait to watch more! Thank you!

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed, there's lots more available.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
I watched this video on YouTube this morning then came across this thread. Wow, what a great video! I can't wait to watch more! Thank you!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much, JK! We're thrilled to have you along for the ride.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been watching your videos for a couple months now Mark--always look forward to them as they come out. Great content and very good quality.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
Clarryhill wrote:
Fabulous video and commentary on an absolutely stunning area. Really appreciate you bringing us along.

And I appreciate you watching -- thank you!
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Fabulous video and commentary on an absolutely stunning area. Really appreciate you bringing us along.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
texasjayco wrote:
Great video!!

Thank you!

texasjayco wrote:
We spent a week up in this area in July.

Stayed at Ridgway SP, did the train, rented a Jeep and did the Engineer Pass (unbelievable!!), etc. What an amazing part of our country!!

It is indeed. I've been a mountain geek my whole life, and seriously the San Juans are as beautiful as they get. It's such a different Colorado than, say, the Front Range. The towns aren't overdeveloped and still possess some genuine charm, and the mountains are truly imposing.

texasjayco wrote:
it's not for anyone scared of mountain driving, but certainly do-able of you take it easy and watch for others on the switch-backs.

Well said, Mark.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Great video!!

We spent a week up in this area in July.

Stayed at Ridgway SP, did the train, rented a Jeep and did the Engineer Pass (unbelievable!!), etc. What an amazing part of our country!!

I heeded the advice of many that said "don't do the MDH with an RV" and came in to Ouray from Montrose. We drove the pickup to Durango and back for the train and agree...it's not for anyone scared of mountain driving, but certainly do-able of you take it easy and watch for others on the switch-backs.

I have a 42ft 5th wheel and wouldn't hesitate to tow across the MDH now that I have driven it a couple times.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Great video glad you posted it as so many folks on here are scared off from a easy drive with great views.

Thank you! I certainly agree.
Cottonwood Heights, UT