Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To leave plugged in or not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To leave plugged in or not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
[email protected]

california

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/18 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new 2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44h all electric coach. Is it better to leave it plugged into 50 amp service continuously or charge the batteries and unplug. Then let the batteries drain a bit and plug back in. Thanks for the advice.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/18 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

I have a new 2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44h all electric coach. Is it better to leave it plugged into 50 amp service continuously or charge the batteries and unplug. Then let the batteries drain a bit and plug back in. Thanks for the advice.

My opinion.

Charge for a day or two. Unplug for a week or ten days.

Your still need to check the water in the batteries about once a month. Check the voltage before you plug it in.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/18 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unbelievable

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/18 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Unbelievable

Why is that unbelievable? If he is storing it for the winter I think it's a good question.

I leave mine plugged in year round to ensure the batteries are always fully charged. In case of an earthquake or other natural disaster such as fires that we have here in California I am always prepared.

I also put it away with a full tank of gas. After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 you could not buy gas for three days as there was no electricity.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a modern converter (which this presumably has), there's absolutely no reason not to leave it plugged in all the time. It might not hurt to check the battery water level on occasion, but most likely that will be fine through to the spring. I add less than a quarter inch of water once a year, leaving it plugged in virtually all the time I'm not using it.

There are people who like to make simple things complicated and complex, too.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/18 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours is plugged in 24/7. If it's not plugged in we're either driving it or dry camping.

Our first set of house batteries lasted 9 years, so we must have done something right.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/18 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

With a modern converter (which this presumably has), there's absolutely no reason not to leave it plugged in all the time.

That is the wrong adjective. You need a HIGH QUALITY, MULTI-STAGE converter. Sadly, the old fashioned converters are still being used on many RV, including high end ones.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/18 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

Unbelievable

Why is that unbelievable? If he is storing it for the winter I think it's a good question.

I leave mine plugged in year round to ensure the batteries are always fully charged. In case of an earthquake or other natural disaster such as fires that we have here in California I am always prepared.

I also put it away with a full tank of gas. After the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 you could not buy gas for three days as there was no electricity.

Unbelievable becuuae the thread DIRECTLY BELOW THIS ONE when I looked at it was this one.

Unbelievable because people do not read a forum they post in.

It's bad enough when someone posts and starts out with "I did a search and couldn't find anything". Really??

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/18 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Ours is plugged in 24/7. If it's not plugged in we're either driving it or dry camping.

Our first set of house batteries lasted 9 years, so we must have done something right.

X2. Both my clipper and FoldnRoll are plugged in 24/7 with no problem. I like them ready to go.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

atsrmf

Indio

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, if you have a good solid state modern converter, there is no reason why you cannot leave it plugged in all the time. Older units may have overcharged and shortened the life of the battery, but newer versions are designed for continuous use. No worries! I replaced my junk converter from 1987 to a drop-in modern replacement and it is perfect. Technology has advanced considerably.
Pay no attention to insults and those who put you down, the question is legitimate. Those guys are idiots.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To leave plugged in or not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.