cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

45 footer as first RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A friend just bought his first RV, a 45 foot DP. It got me thinking how many people buy a rig this size as their first RV or is it usually an upgrade?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
24 REPLIES 24

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
One item that people miss is the state by state licensing restrictions. In California the driver needs a Non-Commercial Class A license for a Class A RV over 40 ft.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 40 footer as my first RV, then traded up to a 45. Wish I had started with the 45 as my 45 with tag axle drives, rides, turns and handles better than the 40 did. As for learning to drive it, you have that transition on any large vehicle so wheter it is 32 or 45 means little. The only advantage I see to a smaller coach is that you can fit into more campgrounds, but there are plenty of places to stay in a 45 so this has been a non-issue for us.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 39 ft and sometimes pull a 24 ft trailer. It don't seem to be a problem as I was used to driving large and wide farm equipment. You just have to use your head before you get into a pickle. I generally fuel up at truck stops and with the mirrors usually you can back out of a pickle. If I bought another coach I wouldn't think twice about a 45 ft:)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
On one Monaco forum that I belong to, there was a coach for sale years ago that ONLY had the mileage from the factory down to Florida. That single trip scared the new owners enough, while driving it, that they put the coach up for sale.
Hopefully the new owners of this 45' coach is experienced in driving large vehicles.
I also hope that he got one without the usual mechanical problems that can discourage a new owner from the RV lifestyle and can also destroy one's finances if they maxed out the budget when they bought the coach.
I had two friends that made a good living off people like this. they would fly to Florida and AZ to pick up class A's all the time and drive them up here and clean them up and sell them. they would go through 6 or 7 a year

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Count me as one of them. The coach in our signature is the first RV we have ever owned. Actually the first night we ever slept in an RV was in this one.

Followed the advice of many "buy your last RV first". We have no regrets and have been loving it.

Shortly after I took the coach home I enrolled in a CDL class.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The guy buying the 45 footer is early 70's, owns an airplane, rides a Harley, and has plenty of the green stuff but has no experience with large vehicles. My guess is he'll do fine.

I maneuvered a Tiffin 45 footer around our rv sales lot today and I'm still impressed how well these things handle tight confines. Coming within a foot of another coach is common place.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

In 12+ years I never hit a curb with my 42โ€™ but Iโ€™m still hitting a few with the 45โ€™ after 6 monthsโ€ฆ The learning curve. Unless you have been around large vehicles starting at 45 feet will be a challenge for a while unless you take a drinking coarse.

Ok, those last two words may or may not have been an "auto-correct gremlin", but either way, it made me laugh ๐Ÿ™‚

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog said:
" Unless you have been around large vehicles starting at 45 feet will be a challenge for a while unless you take a drinking coarse."

Where do they have those drinking courses? I think I attended a long one in the Navy years ago.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have much to say about it, except that I'm envious.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first motorhome 14 years ago, special order, the biggest I could afford. Still serves me well. I driven friends 45 footers and I donโ€™t notice anything different than driving my 40 footer.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Too big for first RV? Depends on the person. I have a friend who struggles to back his Ford Ranger. I have noted larger RV's may not be space effecient, just larger.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
A friend just bought his first RV, a 45 foot DP. It got me thinking how many people buy a rig this size as their first RV or is it usually an upgrade?

I also have friends (maybe same folks you are referring to) that just did the same. No experience RVing, retired @ the young age of 54, sold home, purchased a gently used Newmar Essex, and hit the road. They post travel pics on FB & seem to be deliriously happy.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
It's all relevant.

You couldn't pay me to pull a big rig like yours! Yet I did buy a big coach like your friends!:B :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had a few including trailers. 38, 45, and now a 36ft Monaco towing a Smart car. Never had any problems with any of them but we saw this 36 that we really liked and now its ours. Took some getting used to--for one thing the tales on here about basement a/c taking up storage space is BS. The 38 with basement a/c had far more storage than this the 36 with the a/c on top. But we are getting used to it, Heading to Pigeon Forge for a week Sat. Buy what YOU like!!!!