cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CT I-84

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I always chime in when someone asks about getting around NYC when coming east, and I've been critical of Connecticut and I-84 through Danbury/Waterbury in the past.

Well, we went through there yesterday and it was actually a pleasant drive. The road work seems to be complete (at least from the NY border to I-691/CT 66) and the road surface is excellent. Even the bridge expansion joints are less bone jarring.

We were in State College PA last weekend and coming east we did I-80 to US 209 through the Delaware water gap to I-84. This completely misses the NYC metro area and northern NJ. I-84 in New York was miserable, especially the bridge joints. But once into CT, it was smooth sailing.

When we go this way, we usually take I-691 to CT 66 and CT 9 to hook up with I-95 in Old Lyme, and this was also a pleasant drive. I-691 and the open portion of CT 66 has been freshly paved as well.

I know you people in CT pay a lot of taxes. Thanks for the fresh tar.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
8 REPLIES 8

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic in Connecticut just seems to be unavoidable now. During the work day, rush hour traffic, then during the middle of the day all the people that are trying to avoid rush hour. At night, half the lanes are closed for construction, making it just as bad as during the day. On the weekend? Especially Sunday late afternoon, it can be worse than during the week. No win situation.

People go up to I84 trying to avoid traffic on I95... which increases traffic on I84...

They try to add lanes, but the problem is with the bridges (local roads going over the interstate) built decades ago. The bases of the bridges need to be widened, which is not a simple (or quick!) thing to do.

The state did do a good job re-routing ramps and replacing the Q Bridge in New Haven (now called Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge I think), but it took close to 20 years to do.

Traffic is traffic. No one is quite sure what to do about it!

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Last Tuesday I was on I 84 eastbound from I 81 and took 7 south ( that was a mistake :S) to I 95. I 84 wasn't that bad (eastbound) but westbound looked horrible. There were a number (3 or 4 at least) of miles long bumper to bumper stretches of traffic. I assume they were because of construction. I don't known if that's normal or not, but I might not go back that way to Florida and take 95 (as much as possible) all the way instead.
One good thing about the I 84 route is the toll situation. There is only one toll and it only cost $1.25, since I was in my truck with my MA EZ Pass. Last year I crossed that same toll with my MH pulling an SUV on a tow dolly and it was $9.50 without an EZ Pass.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Everytime we head out west we take 95 south to 9 to 84. Cause there is no way on gods green earth im going anywhere near NY City.
Proud father of a US Marine

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I84 was getting undrivable. Even in cars, the bumps and potholes were impressive. Hopefully this paving lasts awhile!

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still like 95 to to 287 much flatter not twisty. I even like 95 over the GWB at evening or night. I hate 84.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
mfredm wrote:
enjoy it while you can, they are going to rip up the mixmaster in waterbury next year and it'll be construction hell.

They've already started. That was the worse section anyway.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mfredm
Explorer
Explorer
enjoy it while you can, they are going to rip up the mixmaster in waterbury next year and it'll be construction hell.

petersr58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update. Going in reverse order next month